New 'edgy' image- Hit or Miss?

New 'edgy' image- Hit or Miss?

15 posts
16 Oct 2013
River
Model
River
Ive recently added a new image to my portfolio, taken by Tapas. I've recieved a few mixed messages about it....so I wanted to know if its a Hit or Miss?
The main reason I added it was to give my portfolio a little more variety. Ive been told so many times that I always do 'pretty' pictures, and this shoot was a bit of an experiment for both of us.
I would appriciate it if I could hear from others on whether its good/bad and if I should try some more in a similar style, try something different or stick to what I do best.
Thanks,
River
Posted 16 Oct 2013
NATKINS
Photographer
NATKINS
It's the editing that gives it an 'edgy' feel. I wouldn't judge it as good or bad, it is what it is and does contrast with the other images in your port. I think being 'edgy' is more than editing - it's posing, location, context, juxtaposition blah, blah... something a bit more provocative...

But in answer to your question - push your boundaries and experiment - stay safe and have fun!

Hope this helps...

Nick

Posted 16 Oct 2013
jpv
Photographer
jpv
Personally the image is not to my taste BUT I do believe in experimenting so I do think you should try more in that and other styles. As I am sure you have often been told your work is continually improving though having reached a high standard some time ago improvements come in small steps. If you don't experiment you get stuck in a rut and eventually bored.
Posted 16 Oct 2013
barone
Photographer
barone
Don't worry to much about what other people say...If "pretty" is what you like, then think about ways you can extend the "pretty range". If you want to experiment, then be mindful of the fact, that it's not always going to work....
Posted 16 Oct 2013
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
The lighting is not what would conventionally be seen as a particularly happy choice. Maybe it's something to do with this edge thing. One feels you could go get a different, more aspirational type of grittiness.

Posted 16 Oct 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
I think it should have been a hit. Its a different look for sure compared to your fashion and beauty work and it would have worked for me if it didn't look quite so "dirty" in terms of "print quality". Everything else about it I like...see if you can get the tog to produce a cleaner version where your skin looks a lot less "blotchy" but still retains the strong B&W look?

Posted 16 Oct 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
River

Ive recently added a new image to my portfolio, taken by Tapas. I've recieved a few mixed messages about it....so I wanted to know if its a Hit or Miss?

Sorry, it's a 'Miss' for me.  I don't think it adds anything to your portfolio.

Best regards
Paul
Posted 16 Oct 2013
hhoa
Photographer
hhoa
River
whether its good/bad and if I should try some more in a similar style, try something different or stick to what I do best.
Good or bad is a matter of taste BUT YES try some more and try different.
Posted 17 Oct 2013
River
Model
River
Thanks all I appriciate the responses. I will continue to experiment and remember that the results might not always work!
Posted 17 Oct 2013
Jackass
Photographer
Jackass
It's always good to post experiments for feedback as you often can't be objective about an image you've spent time on.

Posted 17 Oct 2013
katiesoze
Photographer
katiesoze
Nothing to add apart from *sigh* you're so gorge...

Posted 28 Oct 2013
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonke..
I saw this image very soon after you had loaded it on your profile and I thought it was dreadful. I was hardly going to write to you and say, "Hey River, that photo of you is dreadful." But I really think it is.

I defy anybody to take a less flattering photo of you. I would not call it "edgy". I'm sure you could have edgy photos taken that still preserve your very pretty look, but give you a bit more oomph!

Or was it taken on a very bad day just after you got out of bed suffering from flu?!

Well it is different. 99% of photographers use editing to make models look better. It is very rare that photpgraphers use editing to spoil a model's looks!

Apologies if this sounds harsh. It is not a criticism of you personally, just the image!

Posted 28 Oct 2013
kingnorman13NK
Photographer
kingnorman13..
A Miss.
Certainly nothing to do with edgy to my eye, and I can't see that it adds anything to your portfolio. I'd remove it.

I can see why you might want to add something different to your Port. You look to have so much potential that hasn't been released yet.

Good luck.

Posted 30 Oct 2013
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
Its a miss for me as well, just looks like poor processing in my view. Sorry ! I can understand showing something different, compared to other styles on your portfolio, but beauty work is your strength and this image doesn't fit.

Posted 31 Oct 2013
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I see nothing wrong with the process applied but it needs to be applied to a suitable image. Here it comes over as an attempt to salvage a photo that did not quite work as a glamour or other style of image. That left hand for example does not seem to be doing anything while the expression, while at least not a glamour pout has nothing to add in this particular instance.

Now had you come to the shoot with this im mind and prepared accordingly however the 'edgy' processing may well have worked. For example a dirty torn top with oil stains and no bra beneath (I dont mean nipples on show) An old spanner or tool in your hand and a more aggressive pose that suits the facial expression could give a very different image that would suit an effect like that.

In short it is one of those images that did not quite work but potentially suggests a future shoot that couls be quite hot.

Posted 1 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join