amateur photographers

amateur photographers

51 posts
15 Oct 2013
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
so yeah im an amateur im not great at taking pics i dont have the right lighting, or the best angles or even the right editing skills yet but to be told by a model (no one from this site i have to say) that she wont shoot with you cause "your work isnt professional and you dont have the skills" is just rude!!!!!!! i approched her and she agreed to shoot with me she wanted me to email her some of my work to see the style i use and she said that im really upset bout it has anyone eles amateur or pro out there had the same responce from a model or person in the industry cause i dont know im bothering
Posted 15 Oct 2013
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Put it down as experience and just move on mate, certain people do display negative attitudes such as this every now and again, also every photographer of all levels will experience "difficult people like this" at some point of their photographic career. Example I don't do Video, I don't do Home Shoots, I only work for pay (yet they have applied to your tf post etc... etc...) Remember that saying if at first you don't succeed then try and try again. Just move on and forget about them, you continue to develop your skills as a photographer and just let them sit behind their computer screens waiting to hit it big time (yawn) and remember never take it personal, as we all get it every now and again
SDuell
so yeah im an amateur im not great at taking pics i dont have the right lighting, or the best angles or even the right editing skills yet but to be told by a model (no one from this site i have to say) that she wont shoot with you cause "your work isnt professional and you dont have the skills" is just rude!!!!!!! i approched her and she agreed to shoot with me she wanted me to email her some of my work to see the style i use and she said that im really upset bout it has anyone eles amateur or pro out there had the same responce from a model or person in the industry cause i dont know im bothering
Posted 15 Oct 2013
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
Think of it more as your style isnt suiting what she is looking for, everyone has their own style of photography, it may suit some, not others, thats why I say if my style of work is of interest, to some it may be, to others possibly not.

Don't get upset by it though, just move on, its not worth the hassle, try and find a local model to work with and in time you will develop your own style of photography and you will improve, you'll be fine.

Posted 15 Oct 2013
Edited by smooth_image 15 Oct 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
On the assumption you asked for a TF shoot and she does not feel you could add to her portfolio - the options are 1. She ignores you - which many don't like 2. she lies about why she won't shoot with you. 3. she tells you the way it is - which hurts. Personally - I would accept it as a wake up call to improve. You have to ask yourself if your work would enhance her portfolio. It's always necessary to be realistic about whom you offer a TF shoot to. Of course - if you offered to pay and she still said no - that really sucks!
Posted 15 Oct 2013
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
SDuell

cause i dont know im bothering

don't ever let one individual upset you to the point of questioning whether or not you want to continue.  just remember that this works the other way too.  i've shot with some VERY talented models who have told me stories where they've been refused work from photographers accompanied by degrading comments on their personal appearance as to why they've been turned down.

move on to the next model, enjoy your next shoot & continue with your photography - don't dwell too much on this.

Posted 15 Oct 2013
RonA
Photographer
RonA
SDuell

I've said it before and I'll say it here again - We all have to start somewhere!

Yes it hurts but as others have said you have to "roll with the punches" and strive to improve.

"Buddy-up" with a photographer whose work you like and who is willing to mentor you; seek-out group shoots (not everyone is in favour of these and they seem to be scarce at the moment) and practice, practice, practice.  Even if you have to press-gang the family dog

There is a wealth of "You-Tube" style tutorials on-line if you don't think you're ready to join a group-shoot.

Good luckcheeky

Ron
Posted 15 Oct 2013
Edited by RonA 15 Oct 2013
hhoa
Photographer
hhoa
I had plenty "no-reply" for TF and even paid job, yes some models even didn't reply to me when i offered to pay them for shoots (promised i didn't ask them above their level and offered to pay at their rate)! I even had some people laughing at my early work...some situations hurt, some are frustrating BUT don't give up. Hard wake up call I'm telling ya!! Take it in the chin and improve, her words should become your motivation. As said above we all start somewhere, learn more with tutorials, mistakes and try all sort experimentations. Shoot shoot shoot and have fun! On the way you'll have more of those models and maybe togs too, few if not plenty no-shows, just stay put and think positive to move forward. Good luck and keep it up
Posted 15 Oct 2013
Edited by hhoa 15 Oct 2013
Strober
Photographer
Strober
To be perfect honestly with you all then perhaps the best model that I have ever worked with is this one There reasons are A) Model is never late for a shoot B) Model never complains when I change / want to experiment with my lighting set ups, C) Never asks for monies and is always happy to work with me on TF etc... Again the above is the best Model that I have got on my books at the minute
Posted 15 Oct 2013
Edited by Strober 15 Oct 2013
laylarc
Model
laylarc
I laughed my butt off when I read this. I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt, but to be honest, I say the same thing (politely) to people that contact me for a shoot, if I know that they are going to make me look like a hippo.

Posted 16 Oct 2013
Lisaliz
Model
Lisaliz
I think it's rude and unnecessary.
Amateur photography is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. I'm happy to work with beginners. I can understand models who don't want to do this work, but why they are incapable of being pleasnt and polite never ceases to amaze me.

Posted 16 Oct 2013
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
I would not get caught up in the rude or whatever the model says, if you are offering paid work then the model is stupid not to turn it away, regardless of whether you are brilliant, average or shite; money is money.

Posted 16 Oct 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Keltica

I would not get caught up in the rude or whatever the model says, if you are offering paid work then the model is stupid not to turn it away, regardless of whether you are brilliant, average or shite; money is money.

No they're not stupid.

For an established model it is wise to refuse work that may tarnish their image due to bad photography (or work that portrays them badly, eg. too saucy if they don't do that stuff).
Posted 16 Oct 2013
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
I make no claims about my work - but I have never had a model refuse to work with me.
I do think that anyone starting should start with practising with a friend or family member to get VERY familiar with the equipment. Then find a good local model (not a beginner) and agree a programme of shoots to practice all aspects/levels you wish to work too. This would be on a Not For publication basis so that the model is happy that they will not be seen. I have worked with all range of models and you will certainly learn a lot more from working with an experienced and talented model from PS (any with over 50 feedback is a good indication) then working with a beginner. My 3 "best" shoots have all been with 3 very talented models from PS so it can be no "accident".
Good Luck

Posted 16 Oct 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Was it a paid shoot?

Posted 16 Oct 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
There's no point in being excessively polite or vague.
If people have doubts about working with someone it is best if they are frank and everyone moves on.

If you produce something which no one dislikes, it will invariably be as bland as Saturday night TV.

Posted 16 Oct 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join