What next ?

20 posts
12 Oct 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Is Scotland about to leave the Union ?  (Yes sadly, I think it is)

Is membership of the EU a liability ?  ( I don't think so)

Should we apply to be another State of the USA ?  (Yep for sure)

Any opinions I wonder   ???

Posted 12 Oct 2013
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
No
Yes
No
Posted 12 Oct 2013
mikethefoto
Photographer
mikethefoto
DJ200

No
Yes
No

+1

Posted 12 Oct 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Believe me, within the year, the shock waves of Scotland leaving the Union will shake England to the core and may very well cause melt-down in the proceeding decades. Yep.

I will remember to re-activate this thread at that point. 

Posted 12 Oct 2013
Edited by SandyCamel 12 Oct 2013
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
DJ200

No
Yes
No

+2
Posted 13 Oct 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
SandyCamel
Believe me, within the year, the shock waves of Scotland leaving the Union will shake England to the core and may very well cause melt-down in the proceeding decades. Yep. I will remember to re-activate this thread at that point. 
There doesn't seem any particular reason to think that the Scots would vote to leave. As long as Cameron is kept out of the debate (note how Salmon is desperate to get him involved) I notice that no-one produces any serious reasons why EU membership is a bad thing, just ridiculous anecdotes mostly notable for their xenophobia and memories of empire. Meanwhile the concept of democracy is shown to be a joke in the USA as the Republicans refuse to accept that Obama actually received a popular mandate in 2 elections.
Posted 13 Oct 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
stolenfaces

Meanwhile the concept of democracy is shown to be a joke in the USA as the Republicans refuse to accept that Obama actually received a popular mandate in 2 elections.

Because Congress is unelected?

Posted 13 Oct 2013
keithpics
Photographer
keithpics
No, Scotland probably won't leave the Union - unless the English are also allowed to vote.

Yes, membership of the EU is and always has been an enormous liability. Examples? It might be okay for large multi-national businesses. It's a major hindrance for small businesses who want to export, especially outside the EU. It's very expensive for us to be a member, far more than the value it is to us. We are bogged down by never-ending new regulations that do nothing to enhance our life-style or protect it. Of course, we'll never be allowed to leave. They'll just keep forcing us to have more referenda until they get the vote they want.

Not sure, there would be some advantages to being a state of the USA but maybe not enough to make it worth it. Better than being a member of the EU though, at least they make a pretence of being democratic.

Posted 13 Oct 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
mph
Because Congress is unelected?
How many republicans in the house of representatives were elected with the explicit mandate to block the budget ?
Posted 13 Oct 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
keithpics
No, Scotland probably won't leave the Union - unless the English are also allowed to vote. Yes, membership of the EU is and always has been an enormous liability. Examples? It might be okay for large multi-national businesses. It's a major hindrance for small businesses who want to export, especially outside the EU. It's very expensive for us to be a member, far more than the value it is to us. We are bogged down by never-ending new regulations that do nothing to enhance our life-style or protect it. Of course, we'll never be allowed to leave. They'll just keep forcing us to have more referenda until they get the vote they want. Not sure, there would be some advantages to being a state of the USA but maybe not enough to make it worth it. Better than being a member of the EU though, at least they make a pretence of being democratic.
These are the usual generalised comments about the EU which just don't have any actual substance - if you have any proper arguments, which actual facts, why not offer them. My simplistic view is that if Murdoch and the Daily Mail don't like it, then there must be something going for it. As it happens most people to the left of Tony Benn oppose the EU as a capitalist club.
Posted 13 Oct 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
SandyCamel
Believe me, within the year, the shock waves of Scotland leaving the Union will shake England to the core and may very well cause melt-down in the proceeding decades. Yep.
I can't tell if this is a joke, or serious?
Posted 13 Oct 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
stolenfaces
How many republicans in the house of representatives were elected with the explicit mandate to block the budget ?
As a representational democracy you do not expect such detail to be specified
Posted 13 Oct 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
stolenfaces

I notice that no-one produces any serious reasons why EU membership is a bad thing, just ridiculous anecdotes mostly notable for their xenophobia and memories of empire. .

I can think of several... for one, the cost of food would generally fall substantially just as it rose when this country first joined!

How about giving some serious reasons to stay EU members?
Posted 14 Oct 2013
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
"How about giving some serious reasons to stay EU members?"

+1
Posted 14 Oct 2013
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
Scotland, the Union, the E.U. None of this matters gentlemen. In less than twenty years, we'll all be living under Sharia law. Dave
Posted 14 Oct 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join