P11RE 5T0RM

21 posts
26 Sep 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
We have all seen it, car number plate Characters 'doctored' so they spell a name, or initials etc.

A number '6' altered to look like a letter 'S' by clever placement of a screw.

Use of Italics or a few extra spaces between characters so we all know the driver is called 'Dick'.

Does it all really matter though ???

Posted 26 Sep 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Have you forgotten your meds again?
Posted 26 Sep 2013
Spike
Photographer
Spike
A few years back was debating buying a s/h car, as an incentive the guy selling told me he would include his personalised number plate for no additional cost, he seemed puzzled at first when I said it made no difference, then the the penny dropped, I had a different name to him.
Posted 26 Sep 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
RedChecker

Have you forgotten your meds again?

I was going to say something quick witted with no possible come-back comment (lol) , instead I want to say

WOW !   I love your main Purestorm Portfolio photo !        #yep

Posted 26 Sep 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
SandyCamel
We have all seen it, car number plate Characters 'doctored' so they spell a name, or initials etc. A number '6' altered to look like a letter 'S' by clever placement of a screw. Use of Italics or a few extra spaces between characters so we all know the driver is called 'Dick'. Does it all really matter though ???
I think this would be an apt number plate for your car: PEN 15
Posted 26 Sep 2013
Edited by PaulManuell 26 Sep 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
My old Z3 came with a private plate which I suppose takes the year off it - but it would have to be a very cheap plate before I would buy one for one of my other cars and I'm not going to get anything really impressive for a few quid!

Posted 26 Sep 2013
cardiff_tog2005
Photographer
cardiff_tog2005
I saw one a while back K155 MOF. I was tempted but being a very anti social driver I prefer a number plate thats harder to remember !

Posted 26 Sep 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
PaulManuell

I think this would be an apt number plate for your car: PEN 15

That one actually exists.  I saw it on a red Merc C-Class about 16 years ago.  The plate actually suited the owner as the car was one of those awful boy racer conversions with large spoiler, blackened windows, wheel arch boxes, big alloy wheels etc. It looked like a heap of shit.
Posted 26 Sep 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
RedChecker
That one actually exists.  I saw it on a red Merc C-Class about 16 years ago.  The plate actually suited the owner as the car was one of those awful boy racer conversions with large spoiler, blackened windows, wheel arch boxes, big alloy wheels etc. It looked like a heap of shit.
That's a shame, that plate would've really suited Sandy Camel's car. Ok, how about TO55 ER instead?
Posted 26 Sep 2013
Einstein
Photographer
Einstein
PEN15 is quite well known. It belongs to one time bike racer and now commentator Steve Parrish.

From his Q&A

What is the story behind the registration number on your car?

I’ve got two registration plates, PEN15 and 60CK. For dirty minded people, these appear to say something… They were originally purchased when I was married to stop my wife driving my cars.

I've seen a woman driving a very expensive car with the reg NONIX!
Posted 26 Sep 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
£2,500 for a cherished plate. Or more or a bit less.

Change you name by deed-poll, about ten quid!

Simples. Change your car, change your name to suit.

Posted 27 Sep 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
I don't see what all the fuss is about.
I've got the original 3 letter 3 number plate on my car and have been asked twice "how much I paid for my private plate"

Posted 28 Sep 2013
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
'Doctoring' number plates like this is completely illegal of course and I have seen a few people prosecuted for it. Which seems a bit absurd when you think that a.) the point of a numberplate is to ensure easy recognition and b.)The government flogs numbers that can clearly be reinterpreted at a premium!

Not everyone does it purely for vanity though. Many coach companies do this so clients are not judging them on the age of their coaches but on their quality.

Posted 28 Sep 2013
stu_art
Photographer
stu_art
Saw one the other day in a car park..... Not sure would rush to buy it.... P 2 WEE
Posted 28 Sep 2013
Bob
Photographer
Bob
SandyCamel

Does it all really matter though ???

It probably matters to the car's owner.

I've had a couple of professional models on this site turn up for shoots in cars with registrations beginning M155 followed by their initials, and in both cases it seemed highly appropriate.

Bob

Posted 29 Sep 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join