"Slut"

44 posts
20 Sep 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
If you admit that you haven't cleaned behind your cooker in five years, and a friend calls you a "slut", do you laugh, give him/her one of your looks, or hit said person with an arguably grubby frying pan?

Posted 20 Sep 2013
Dave@studio99
Photographer
Dave@studio9..
Personally I would just laugh and think no more of it.

Posted 20 Sep 2013
I would probably roll my eyes and wonder what cleaning behind the cooker has to do with being a "slut"?

Posted 20 Sep 2013
digitalmood
Photographer
digitalmood
slob perhaps - but not slut... perhaps your friend's vocabulary requires extending....
Posted 20 Sep 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
Chrissie_Red

I would probably roll my eyes and wonder what cleaning behind the cooker has to do with being a "slut"?

There in lays the problem.  It used to be used as a pretty inoffensive term to mean you don't keep your home/work place clean, and could be aimed at both men and women.  Often it was said by a person to describe themselves.  With the demise of that meaning, the use of the word today now seems horrendous.

No wonder Godfrey Bloom doesn't think he's said anything wrong, but others think that he is a disgrace.

Posted 20 Sep 2013
digitalmood
slob perhaps - but not slut... perhaps your friend's vocabulary requires extending....
Chrissie_Red
"Slut" used to refer to a slovenly person who didn't keep their home or person clean and tidy. I've only heard elderly people use it that way though. And also my mum for some reason. ...Good thing I found that out before posing for an art class which had a long discussion about whether or not someone they know is a slut, or the conversation would have shocked me a lot more.
Posted 20 Sep 2013
http://thesaurus.com/browse/slut

Click n loose woman

Look under J.

I have no defence your honour.

Posted 20 Sep 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
johnlp
There in lays the problem.  It used to be used as a pretty inoffensive term to mean you don't keep your home/work place clean, and could be aimed at both men and women.  Often it was said by a person to describe themselves.  With the demise of that meaning, the use of the word today now seems horrendous. No wonder Godfrey Bloom doesn't think he's said anything wrong, but others think that he is a disgrace.
It was never inoffensive - the more modern usage is merely an extension of how it was used previously. The housewife who didn't keep her clean was regarded as breaking her marrige vows as much as if she flirted with other men. He was sacked be cause he distracted attention from the leaders racist speech.
Posted 20 Sep 2013
JSIPhotographic
Photographer
JSIPhotograp..
You're going down the "yid" road.....

a rocky trail since certain creeds realised they could make money from it!!!!

Posted 20 Sep 2013
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
Given the age of the person that made the statement, it is most likely he interprests the word, and most of his generation would, as meaning slovenly.

Posted 20 Sep 2013
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
stolenfaces
It was never inoffensive - the more modern usage is merely an extension of how it was used previously. The housewife who didn't keep her clean was regarded as breaking her marrige vows as much as if she flirted with other men. He was sacked be cause he distracted attention from the leaders racist speech.
Would you care to specify what part of Nigel Farage's speech was racist? That's pretty serious mud to throw these days.
Posted 20 Sep 2013
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
I would slap her/his bottom and ask them to call me Stanley.

Posted 20 Sep 2013
johnlp

There in lays the problem.  It used to be used as a pretty inoffensive term to mean you don't keep your home/work place clean, and could be aimed at both men and women.  Often it was said by a person to describe themselves.  With the demise of that meaning, the use of the word today now seems horrendous.

Dunno I think if somebody came into my house and made any comment about how I clean/don't clean I would find it pretty offensive no matter what word they used.

Posted 20 Sep 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
stolenfaces

Love to know which part of the speech you consider to be racist.
Posted 21 Sep 2013
ATVLONDON
Photographer
ATVLONDON
When I was about 10 I first heard the word c*nt. I was convinced it was a small animal like a stoat / ferret etc. I started using this word widely at everybody until one night after my Mum had called me to have a bath I told her not to be a c*nt. She dragged me off the street in front of my freinds and gave me a right hiding, then my Dad found out and I was in even more trouble.

Posted 21 Sep 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join