Do models who are agency represented get more work?

Do models who are agency represented get more work?

14 posts
18 Sep 2013
Hi Models! Just wondering if those who are Agency represented get more work than those unsigned? I have been in talks with two agencies who are very keen to sign me up. Supermodelagency and Codysmodels. Has anybody heard of these, if so, are they reputable? If not - Are there any you would recommend for me please? From my understanding, more and more are non-exclusive these days. Thanks. Roxy x
Posted 18 Sep 2013
I was "signed" awhile ago - never got anything from it, and it never helped/hindered my bookings from the internet.

I guess it would entirely depend on who the model is and which agency?

I've never heard of any of those agencies before (which is not to say they are dodgy btw, I only really know the names of a handful of agencies). Scotland is in a bit of a "bad" way - most of the girls I've seen shouting about being agency signed seem to do little more than test with average photographers over and over again and by the time they are 20 they have "grown out" of wanting to be an agency model. I would be willing to bet that the majority of them make considerably less than I do as a freelance/ non agency signed model. Same obviously couldn't be said for those who are in London signed up to a decent agency.

If you do homework on those agencies and they are legitimate and you are still able to source your own work (and don't need them to approve everything) then I don't think being with them would hinder you. The more places you are available to be hired from then the better really!

Good luck

xx

Posted 18 Sep 2013
rootofsilence
Photographer
rootofsilence
2 models I know - model 1 was signed to Nevs, model 2 Nevs refused to sign.

Over a 2 year period model 2 received more work from Nevs than model 1

Posted 18 Sep 2013
I have heard of both Supermodel and Codys. I am with Supermodel, Phil is great he is friendly and nice but I wouldn't put your heart on getting bookings from agencies.

The big agencies like Girl and Mode seem to get work.

I personally prefer to get my own bookings so your not waiting round for money ect...

CathFaza.

Posted 19 Sep 2013
Cody
Model
Cody
Codys cool ! I agree with the above. .I prefer to arrange things myself although I am rep'd
Posted 19 Sep 2013
Edited by Cody 19 Sep 2013
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
Hell NO

Posted 20 Sep 2013
RoxyMendez

Hi Models! Just wondering if those who are Agency represented get more work than those unsigned? I have been in talks with two agencies who are very keen to sign me up. Supermodelagency and Codysmodels. Has anybody heard of these, if so, are they reputable? If not - Are there any you would recommend for me please? From my understanding, more and more are non-exclusive these days. Thanks. Roxy x

Hi Roxy, First of all check if the agencies are registered with AMA , Association Model Agents if they are confirms they are geniune with worthwhile client base.

If they are not AMA registered worthwile to ask to see their client list, if they have a worthwhile client base will also give you some idea of the type of work that might be available.

Personally on here I tend to avoid agency representd models, as usually they are asking larger fees presumely to pay off an agency commission.
Posted 21 Sep 2013
HoneyB
Model
HoneyB
In my experience, no. I was agency represented & got the odd shoot, but almost all those shoots I found out the photographers used sites like this & actually paid models a little more as they dont have to pay agency booking fees. I left the agency after a year as I got far more bookings being freelance, including numerous print publications.
Honey xx

Posted 21 Sep 2013
paulbatterbury
Photographer
paulbatterbury
From a Photographers point of view and experience.

At the end of the day, Agents are middle men, who make money of your backs, very few have the contacts, and most of the contacts they have, and you can make yourself.

So forgetting TFP, and Syndication, what is left? Jobs for website content and then there is portfolio shoots with keen and experience hobbyists, because most hobbyists and Amateur are put of from using agents. The you may have a bit of TV work, all which you could all possible get yourself (direct), without losing a 20% cut.

That leaves the big jobs, such as featured mag articles and such a like which are few and far between and that really is only if you some type of celebrity connection. If you don’t keep your agent sweet, you are not put forward for them, and some agents require you to be exclusive with them.

The time you spend grooming you agent’s ego, is time you can productively get work direct, why wait a week and be exclusive for a £500 job, when you could have 5 days in the week and earned £1250 + on other shoots.

Agents are all very good at telling you what you want to hear, and even play the clients and model of each other, “they have not paid yet” “she is not available at the moment”, and after a while you will find that professional fall out and through frustration drop agents and look to working direct.

So agents do have good contacts, but if you think of joining an agency so you don’t have to look for work, then you are deluded, I know girls who have been

In my experience, agent have caused more work and confusion, not reduced it, if you look up the term agent in the dictionary and think about what you agent(s) do for you, them maybe you should consider brushing them aside.

One other things, Agent are also lazy, most the time I experience, forwarded emails and I ended up talking to the models direct to finish organising the shoot details, because it quicker and there is less time delay. As with the agent I know and that I have contacted in the past, none seem to pro-actively contact you and promote their models or arrange portfolio make overs, they do not invest in the agencies business interests.

food for thought.

Posted 24 Sep 2013
Thanks for that guys. Just to be clear, I never once thought of signing to an agency in hope of sitting with my feet up and waiting for work to come in.. I would always make sure that the agency was non exclusive. I'd never stop finding my own work. Thanks again
Posted 24 Sep 2013
I was signed by 3 agencies at one time and still got all the work myself - complete waste of time! X

Posted 26 Sep 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
zoepinknose

I was signed by 3 agencies at one time and still got all the work myself - complete waste of time! X

I think you probably get more work out of networking with other models and getting the details of photographers and people who have hired them for jobs.  I've certainly shot models who are friends of models I've previously shot.
Posted 28 Sep 2013
PJAMedia
Photographer
PJAMedia
I must admit - I have used an agency to book a model just once in the 8 years I have been shooting for publication. Nearly all the models on agency lists are on here or other sites like this, and I would rather the models gets more money, avoiding the agency slice! I honestly think self promotion is the best bet these days - and given that you have the tools to do that (I.e. sites like this) it makes life much easier to achieve this. Even given the tools though, I think as a model, you really need to have the entrepreneurial approach for maintaing a constant stream of work. Just putting casting calls is not enough to guarantee this. Its tough out there! I think getting involved with studios is a good idea - maybe studio days, then casting for those. You get a bunch of new togs visit these studio days who maybe wouldn't have booked a model exclusively, and you then have their attention and can network with them to get exclusive bookings. Just one idea.

Agencies are OK maybe to get foreign attention (many foreign models I know have never heard of PS or PP etc, so I imagine the same for togs too), but as long as you choose the right ones located for the right audience, and as you said, definitely non-exclusive!

Paul

Posted 29 Sep 2013
paulbatterbury
Photographer
paulbatterbury
I used an agency the other day (mentioned on this thread) while I was in the UK... I wasn't impressed!

OK they found me a model at last minute notice due to a cancellation, which was good going.

The model they sent was inexperienced, failed to pose, even when directed and had no facial expression during the shoot, it was frustration, you know when you working to make some bad, good.

I was told she would work topless, and she didn’t, I was ask would I cover her travel of £37, and it was £59 and it was for a full days shoot, and the model blew the whistle halfway through.

The agency still wanted to charge me for the full day at topless level and pushed it for a while, but of course I stood my ground.

Another odd and very strange point, they wanted also me to sign over my rights on my images (yes the one I shot and paid the model for) so watch out for that, as they would have had the power to dictate to me what images I could have use and where…..

But the images where lame, thanks to such an un-inspirational model, now having chatted with a few others who have dealt with them, models and photographers, over rated and lack of work sum them up, seem that not all London agencies have the same professionalism.

Posted 12 Oct 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join