"Alternative" modelling

"Alternative" modelling

16 posts
15 Sep 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
 I see lots of models put on their profiles that they do this, but what does it mean to you?

Posted 15 Sep 2013
Bob
Photographer
Bob
johnlp

what does it mean to you?

I read it as meaning they offer an alternative to the tall / slim / beautiful / unmodified people that most of society would describe as being model material.
Bob
Posted 15 Sep 2013
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
johnlp

but what does it mean to you?

They've got tattoos.
Posted 15 Sep 2013
Tattoo's, piercings, radical hair, dark clothing (gothic/punk/emo fashion)

Posted 15 Sep 2013
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
They are not commercial material; may you read into that what you wish.

Posted 15 Sep 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
At its best:

Normally though its some random girl who has tattoos, piercings or an unusual hairstyle and doesn't strike you as someone suited to art nude, glamour, fashion or beauty

Posted 15 Sep 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
they think they are different, but generally they aren't.

Posted 15 Sep 2013
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Just put 'one' as my main image.....alt models can often make for interesting shoots and they are (in my experience) interesting and pleasant company...but often with a traumatic past.

A couple of years back I photographed an alt model that would have been drop dead gorgeous...had it not been for the tattoos, piercings, and self inflicted scars...but despite that...still a pleasure to photograph and chat to and sad as well....

Posted 17 Sep 2013
Alternative is a state of mind nothing to do with how you dress what music u listen to or how many tattoos you do or don't have... Alternative minded models are usually nicer people and up for anything abit out of the ordinary yes we do tend to shave our hair have dreadlocks or piercings it's who we are not something u can just decide to do. That's like a bleach blonde haired fake boobed glamour model with a vagina piercing saying oh I'd love to do a alt shoot but what do I need to dress like? Lol no what I'm trying to say.

Posted 17 Sep 2013
SoftGentle
That's like a bleach blonde haired fake boobed glamour model with a vagina piercing saying oh I'd love to do a alt shoot but what do I need to dress like? Lol no what I'm trying to say.
are you saying that: bleach blonde people fake boobed people (of which most ive met are alt) and glamor models... ... are stupid bimbos? because as falling into 2 out of 3 of them thats quite offensive and im very much alt in my mind set and life thank you too be fair most of the worst alt shots ive seen are of 'alt' people (usually a size 20 goth girl in a grave yard with fishnets, fairie wings and black lipstick posing with a guitar she clearly cant play) and yet ive seen many that fit you above description that are amazing alt models
Posted 17 Sep 2013
No i wasnt saying thhey were bimbos? They just look more glamour type and that. i agree big woman n guitars in graveyards look silly and like they tried to hard. i am not a insulting person and sorry it came across that way. Im not the best at wording / describing things. lol. big head tiiny brain.. lol x

Posted 17 Sep 2013
SoftGentle
big head tiiny brain.. lol x
damn it now I have the tinga tinga tails theme tune stuck in my head
Posted 17 Sep 2013
SoftGentle

.. Alternative minded models are usually nicer people

Urm, some of the biggest knobs I've come across while modelling have been those who label themselves as "alternative" 
Honestly thats like saying fat photographers are all nicer than slim photographers or fat photographers push themselves more creatively than thin ones. Everybody is different, some are nice some aren't so nice but I wouldn't say one of the "known" traits for being an alternative model is being more open to ideas or being a nicer person thats just rubbish!

Posted 17 Sep 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Chrissie_Red

Urm, some of the biggest knobs I've come across while modelling have been those who label themselves as "alternative" 
Honestly thats like saying fat photographers are all nicer than slim photographers or fat photographers push themselves more creatively than thin ones. Everybody is different, some are nice some aren't so nice but I wouldn't say one of the "known" traits for being an alternative model is being more open to ideas or being a nicer person thats just rubbish!

+1
People that "subscribe" to a particular ideological / fashion trait tend to be fixed into those behaviours and see everything as others do in that group. Those that also fit in that same group will naturally feel an affinity to each other. They may view people from other groups and free thinkers as different and maybe less friendly.

That is a comfort thing rather than based on any reality.

The more "set in their ways" the group is, the more others view them as a pain in the ass or someone to be avoided or ridiculed

Posted 17 Sep 2013
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Chrissie_Red

Maybe.....in my limited experience alt models do give rise to different photogaphic opportunities......after all...if you aren't covered in tattoos then that is one area of difference...I know one goth model that spent all her disposable income on really exceptional garments.....it was her 'thing'...not many straight models turn up with hand made leather corsets that cost a couple of hundred pounds...and that sort of quality shows in bucket loads....
Posted 17 Sep 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join