Advice please.

15 posts
14 Sep 2013
Hi,

I'm a new model looking for more shoots. I get few bookings then photographers cancel. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I know I need to keep building my portfolio so I am willing to do TFCD etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Posted 14 Sep 2013
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglide..
Without going into it too much, you're not really selling yourself on your portfolio notes, and also you state that you will only work to the levels you list (Fitness Model, Stock Photo, Fashion and Hair) and yet you have implied nudity on your port, including your main image. Kinda sends mixed messages.

Posted 14 Sep 2013
Jackass
Photographer
Jackass
Persist, persist, persist. I've been stood up more times than a one-legged drunk.

You could try contacting photographers near you whose work you like and offer TF directly. You have a good look, but you're not alone there, lots of competition.

I get to Yorkshire occasionally but I never know until the day before. If you could be available short notice I would like to work with you.

Mike

Posted 14 Sep 2013
Pict
Photographer
Pict
You will find glamour and nude are the main genres of work on this site and according to your profile you don't shoot these levels. Not saying that you should change your levels but you are trying to run against the tide and that will be difficult

Posted 14 Sep 2013
beekay
Photographer
beekay
thestarglider

Without going into it too much, you're not really selling yourself on your portfolio notes, and also you state that you will only work to the levels you list (Fitness Model, Stock Photo, Fashion and Hair) and yet you have implied nudity on your port, including your main image. Kinda sends mixed messages.

Absolutely, it helps if as photographers, we get an idea of what attracts you to modeling and what you would like to achieve.

I accept that your main image is a carefully posed shot and you could be part clothed. However in the shot in the telephone box you are clearly naked.

If you wish to only work within the limits stated I suggest you remove this image, or state, as your images suggest, that you are happy with implied or  'tasteful' nude. Then change your work preferences to include nude and qualify this in your comments.
Posted 14 Sep 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
My standard advice for all models. Male, female or dog.
Be you. You are the best YOU there ever has been or ever will be. No-one will be as goOd at being you as you.
Do not try to be anyone else. No-one wants to book a second rate Bronson, Olivier, Chopin or Ryan Giggs. They want the real thing. You are not the real thing, except when you are being you.
Models who are successful are ALMOST always, the models who work hard. The number of models who do well financially because they charge thousand an hour are numbered in the low teens WORLDWIDE.
Be versatile, that is a large part of the working hard bit. You do not have an ego, the photographer has one far bigger than it needs to be for both of you. The more of a chameleon you can be the more useful you are. Modelling is not glamorous. Modelling is not glamorous. Modelling is not glamorous. If in doubt refer to the three statements preceding.
Studios are drafty, cold, untidy, smelly..... They are in the cheapest part of town. They need multiple buses to get there. You must not be late. "What happened?" No one cares. You must not be late.
Research and understand the different genre of modelling. The more you understand, the better you will do.
If you have a few minutes Google Lom Chaney. He was a Hollywood actor. He started as an extra. He went for every part he could possibly apply for. He turned up costumed and made-up for the part. He worked his arse off. He got a lot of work BECAUSE HE WAS THERE. He got turned down for far more than he every got. You are a salesman. You are selling yourself. Any half decent salesman will tell you that less than 10% of his pitches succeed. You will be lucky to make that many BUT if you pitch enough the 8% or so will be enough. DO NOT GET DISHEARTENED BY THE 98% that tell you to bog off. Get enthused by the successes.
Posted 15 Sep 2013
Edited by JeromeRazoir 15 Sep 2013
Hi Gabby,
I think there are 2 reasons why you are not getting bookings: 1 is that you don't do Glam/nude work & 2 you have a chaperone I am afraid that many photographers want 1 & not 2.

Posted 15 Sep 2013
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
I would say it's the photographers that cancelled are time wasters and it was their loss. The chaperone thing will put off some but not all. Yet it is a bit of a problem and one you may well need to consider. Just keep plugging away put up some casting calls and make perfectly clear as to what levels you are prepared to shoot.

Posted 15 Sep 2013
fotopete
Photographer
fotopete
Although the comments above have some relevance, I got the impression that Gabby was asking why photographers have cancelled arranged shoots. Personally, the earlier comments wold seem to cover a lack of bookings, rather than why the bookings have been cancelled

On the issue of photographers cancelling, I'm at a loss as I shoot to sell, so don't have this issue, but it may be that the bookings were with hobbyists who suddenly had to do family stuff/ money was spent on something else/ maybe they are photo collectors. Do you ever get any reasons offered?

Posted 15 Sep 2013
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Have you perhaps changed the wording in your profile since these shoots were cancelled? I cancelled a couple of shoots this year when the model suddenly sprang on me that they were bringing a chaperone, after the shoot had been arranged. (I also cancelled a beach shoot when the model stated she wasn't prepared to wear a bikini, but I realise that's not the case here)!

Posted 15 Sep 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Gabby2013

I get few bookings then photographers cancel. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

fotopete

Although the comments above have some relevance, I got the impression that Gabby was asking why photographers have cancelled arranged shoots.

Without knowing the details of the communications between Gabby and the photographers, it is difficult to surmise why the shoots were cancelled.

Perhaps they were timewasters?  Perhaps they didn't like the terms of the shoot?  Perhaps they weren't available on a certain date?  Perhaps the communications weren't clear? There are many possible reasons.

Posted 15 Sep 2013
Edited by Paul_Jones 15 Sep 2013
digitalmood
Photographer
digitalmood
I have personal experience of shooting with Gabby -she's fab - and her chaperone isn't intrusive at all. Don't worry about it Gabby - cancellations come with the job - regardless of if you're a model or a photographer.

Posted 15 Sep 2013
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglide..
Kiboko

Have you perhaps changed the wording in your profile since these shoots were cancelled?

I can't say if it had been altered immediately after the photographers cancelled, but she has updated her details today (reading much better now). And no, there was no mention of chaperones originally in the details (good that she has done so, makes it clear up front).
Posted 15 Sep 2013
Henry_Artist
Photographer
Henry_Artist
I respectfully refer the OP to these articles by Model Bitch -

http://modelbitch.blogspot.co.uk/p/10-top-tips-for-models.html

http://modelbitch.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/chaperones

http://modelbitch.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/modeling-business.html

Posted 15 Sep 2013
Impossible to say, but in my experience photographers generally cancel a lot, especially on TFP shoots. So it may be nothing but the normal way of things rather than you actually doing anything wrong.

Posted 15 Sep 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join