Do models exist....

Do models exist....

49 posts
14 Sep 2013
joroda777
Photographer
joroda777
~ who are real, not bored brats with a mobile phone,
~ who check their emails and respond to them - even if it is just to say thanks, but no thanks.
~ who request rates that are on a par with their experience level. Beginner does not equate to £ 90 an hour for glamour shoot!!
~ who actually communicate in english not text speak,
~ who want to really improve their portfolios and not just their bank balance.

I could go on but  I do not think that my blood pressure can go any higher. So constructive comments please.

Posted 14 Sep 2013
Jackass
Photographer
Jackass
Aren't you being a bit selective? I'm just happy if they answer!

Posted 14 Sep 2013
desyek
Photographer
desyek
Constructive comments: Yes, real models exist. And the really good ones have typically earned the right to charge. Some do, some don't. As for 'improving portfolios' - that depends on if they deem your work to be better than they have already. It's all a bit subjective, the latter part anyways
Posted 14 Sep 2013
Spike
Photographer
Spike
In the world of internet modeling no answer is an answer.

As for picking models with portfolios that need improving, I've generally found the better the portfolio the more professional they behave & their rates are more realistic.

Offering unsolicited TF shoots to models is a waste of time.

I have come to the conclusion unless I have a model knocking down my door to shoot with me when I have the time for the shoot its way more cost effective to pay a good model & get the shoot when I want it, plus I can edit images at my leisure.

An interesting spin off of working this way is I'm getting models I've previously paid for shoots, offering to work with me on TF projects.
Posted 14 Sep 2013
Edited by Spike 14 Sep 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
You asked for comments about models, so I'll give some.

joroda777

Yes. ALL of the models I shoot on a regular basis are real and are not "bored brats" as you put it. They do have mobile phones as this happens to be the 21st century.

joroda777

~ who check their emails and respond to them - even if it is just to say thanks, but no thanks.

I do not expect anyone to respond to unsolicited emails. Most respond, some don't, and it's no big deal.

joroda777

~ who request rates that are on a par with their experience level. Beginner does not equate to £ 90 an hour for glamour shoot!!

No.

No.

No.

Rates are what are agreed between the parties concerned. It's nobody's business to say what rate "equates" to some set of circumstances or other except me and the model. We either reach a deal or we don't, and this occurs without reference to some pseudo-industry standard.

joroda777

Some are better communicators than others. We usually manage to make ourselves understood, which is all that matters.

joroda777

I don't give a flying toss about their portfolio. Or mine for that matter. All that matters is that the model will do the job well, that our work will be enjoyed by the target audience, and that we are both happy with the terms under which it all happens.

joroda777

I could go on but  I do not think that my blood pressure can go any higher. So constructive comments please.

Stress is harmless in short, occasional doses but definitely not so when it's prolonged. I strongly suggest you do the following:
  1. Take my reply here as a sincere one - and one that is intended to show you how completely different a point of view is possible. It's intended to shock you rather than to ridicule you.
  2. Take a long view. Make a commitment not to let individual upsets make you despondent. Chin up.

Posted 14 Sep 2013
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
joroda777
~ who are real, not bored brats with a mobile phone, ~ who check their emails and respond to them - even if it is just to say thanks, but no thanks. ~ who request rates that are on a par with their experience level. Beginner does not equate to £ 90 an hour for glamour shoot!! ~ who actually communicate in english not text speak, ~ who want to really improve their portfolios and not just their bank balance. I could go on but  I do not think that my blood pressure can go any higher. So constructive comments please.
Umm, they take one look at your main picture and delete the email ?
Posted 14 Sep 2013
Edited by cgwebster 14 Sep 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
joroda777

1.  I don't care if they are bored or have attitude if they have the right 'look' then we can work together .

2. It is disappointing if they do not respond but that is their perogative.

3.  If they have the right 'look' then I don't care if they are beginners.

4. Text speak is okay - I am not looking for some-one who can write a degree level English Language essay for me - I am looking for 'the look'.

5. Don't get this one tbh.

Posted 14 Sep 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
joroda777
Have you ever considered that if this is where you get stuck, it's because they don't think you can improve their ports?
Posted 14 Sep 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Yes they do - I suggest you look at the portfolios of models and photographers to see the work they produce.

If you are not seeing enough, you maybe need to reconsider your terms and port to attract them.

Posted 14 Sep 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
joroda777
~ who are real, not bored brats with a mobile phone, ~ who check their emails and respond to them - even if it is just to say thanks, but no thanks. ~ who request rates that are on a par with their experience level. Beginner does not equate to £ 90 an hour for glamour shoot!! ~ who actually communicate in english not text speak, ~ who want to really improve their portfolios and not just their bank balance. I could go on but  I do not think that my blood pressure can go any higher. So constructive comments please.
Yes - and are probably pissed by your post.
Posted 14 Sep 2013
Yes, models who fulfill all those criteria exist, and most of them would rather not work with people who describe their peers as "bored brats".

Posted 14 Sep 2013
jes
Model
jes
I don't use this site as much as I used to, mainly due to the same old shit models have to endure from photographers who think they can speak about us as though we are all ****ing morons!

Posted 14 Sep 2013
There's a few of us out there x
Posted 14 Sep 2013
joroda777

Wow you silver tongued devil you.
I cannot fathom why after a post like that models are not flocking to your email prostating themselves wanting to be hit with the diffuse glow gun..
Posted 15 Sep 2013
joroda777
Photographer
joroda777
First and foremost, allow me to apologise to any real models if this post offended you. That was most certainly not my intention!
Jes - I have worked with you and believe that I demonstrated a proper respect to you as a  hardworking, real model.
I made the post after being contacted directly by four "models" who stated that they wanted to improve their portfolios and would like to do a shoot with me. 
The standard of their photos was that of when a person takes photos of themselves using a mobile camera whilst in front of a mirror. These have then been posted  on their profile. 
After a great deal of email ping pong - I finally got some of them to admit that they were just doing it, the emailing, for fun and not taking the idea of a shoot seriously. A typical comment was - so I can show my friends how popular I am. 
One, who clearly stated on her profile that she was a novice, even claimed that she earned £90 an hour for glamour work, but only had very poor mobile camera shots on her profile. Another said that she only did it for the money so she could party.
As for text speak, if it rocks your boat - go for it. I just dont understand it.
Non responses to direct emails - I respond to everyone who contacts me, even if it is just to say no thank you.
"Silver tongue...Models flocking to contact me" ~ not if they are of the non hardworking, bored brats, who think that modelling is an easy route to money to party with.
Every model that I have worked with in the past has and I believe still are a credit to themselves and the Modelling Industry.
So lesson learned:-
Only work with top models on a fee basis and ignore the others. A shame really as there are more than likely some genuine beginners.
To all who commented - thank you for your views - both constructive and .......... Oh Well can't win them all.
Happy shooting and be safe.

Posted 15 Sep 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join