New Camera Help!

34 posts
10 Sep 2013
I've just purchased Sony Handycam HVR - HD1000P  When it was advertised it said it used Sony Memory Stick Duo. However it turns out thats just for stills for video it uses DV tapes? Im a little concerned I've just wasted good money on this camera when I have no idea how to convert the tapes onto my pc to edit them for my members website!

So please HELP!!!

Thanks,
Samantha A

Posted 10 Sep 2013
Edited by SamanthaAlexandra 10 Sep 2013
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMe..
You'll need a firewire port on your computer. Unless it was bought with this in mind specifically, you are unlikely to have this currently. It can be added reasonably cheaply. The camera connects via a firewire cable and your software should have a capture feature that allows transport control and transfer of the tape to hard drive in realtime. You'll be able to choose which Codec it uses during transfer, so there's no need to recode. Firewire is available in 4pin and 6 pin variety - the extra 2 pins are only for power transmission and rarely used. Your camera will have the 4 pin mini-firewire and it is usual to find 6 pin on the computer (unless it's a laptop). There is also Firewire400 and Firewire800 standard. The 800 is backwards compatible.

Posted 10 Sep 2013
Mansell
Photographer
Mansell
I'm not 100% sure but I reckon this camera has a USB port so if you don't have a Firewire port on your PC (and a lot don't)you should be able to use this to capture video content using the supplied Sony software onto your PC for editing.

FYI I edit using Sony Vegas Studio HD

Posted 10 Sep 2013
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMe..
Mansell

I'm not 100% sure but I reckon this camera has a USB port so if you don't have a Firewire port on your PC (and a lot don't)you should be able to use this to capture video content using the supplied Sony software onto your PC for editing. FYI I edit using Sony Vegas Studio HD

You can't transfer video over the USB socket. It acts as a card reader to allow you to transfer info from the memorystick only.

The Firewire link may also be called DV, i.Link and IEEE1394 in Sony speak - it's all the same thing. Firewire was originally developed and named by Apple and was present on a lot of the older macs as standard until they developed thunderbolt.
Posted 10 Sep 2013
Edited by FrameworksMedia 10 Sep 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Mansell
I'm not 100% sure but I reckon this camera has a USB port so if you don't have a Firewire port on your PC (and a lot don't)you should be able to use this to capture video content using the supplied Sony software onto your PC for editing. FYI I edit using Sony Vegas Studio HD
The manual says you need a firewire cable and port to transfer video to a computer (the usb port is only good for stills). Unless you have a macbook (or most other macs I think), where you can get adaptors for thunderbolt or Firewire 800 to Firewire 400, you would need to add firewire to you pc. For desktops this is fairly easy (around £20 for a card) but you need to be clear what card slots your computer has PCIe or PCI as the cards are different. PCIe is faster and preferred if you have a slot of that type available. I think you may be able to get some sort of adaptor for some laptops http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=430534031
Posted 10 Sep 2013
I use Pinnacle for editing my videos. My PC is pretty upto date however I have never heard of a firewire cable before? Im starting to wish I had never purchased it
Posted 10 Sep 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
How long have you had it and do you have all the packing and bits of paper?
If you do you could consider rejecting it as 'not fit for the purpose for which it was sold'.* If you make it clear to the shop that you specified at the time of purchase that you wanted it so you could transfer video to your current computer (which of course you did) then they should have pointed out the FireWire issue. As you will be spending themoney returned on a suitable camera straight away, they may be less inclined to argue.

*Sale of Goods Act.

Posted 10 Sep 2013
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMe..
The record quality is pretty much unsurpassed at the price point for it's target market. I still regularly use some of the higher range HDV cameras and they outperform much hyped SLR's in the situations I use them in by a long way. The HD1000P was developed as a simpler point and shoot video camera to deliver similar results.
Posted 10 Sep 2013
Mansell
Photographer
Mansell
FrameworksMedia

You can't transfer video over the USB socket. It acts as a card reader to allow you to transfer info from the memorystick only..

My apologies, thought I might be helping, clearly not.
Posted 10 Sep 2013
Edited by Mansell 10 Sep 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
A generic firewire card for a PC costs £10, and some come with cables. Easy peasy.

Posted 10 Sep 2013
Edited by RedChecker 10 Sep 2013
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
If you've had it for less than 7 days, and bought online in the UK, you should be able to return it under Distance Selling regulations or try and take it back to the shop and exchange ?

Posted 10 Sep 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Using miniDV tapes isn't so bad. You always have a backup and you don't need TBs of disks lying around.

Posted 10 Sep 2013
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMe..
HowardJ

Using miniDV tapes isn't so bad. You always have a backup and you don't need TBs of disks lying around.

+1

I can reinstate any project shot in the last 7 years if re-edits are required or retrieval of archive footage. Shooting on average 6-7hrs per week. Project files can remain on hard drive or backup disk and most software will auto insert the required clips to use if they are offline.
Posted 10 Sep 2013
Edited by FrameworksMedia 10 Sep 2013
So I Purchased a fire wire to usb adapter for the PC to go into a usb slot. And my PC will not recognize the camera? Im literally pulling my hair out!!!

Posted 17 Sep 2013
HELP HELP HELP!!!

Posted 17 Sep 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join