What is the portfolio lacking?

What is the portfolio lacking?

11 posts
16 Aug 2013
rob25881
Photographer
rob25881
I've wanted to refresh my portfolio on here for a while and have a number of shoots lined up in September to do just this, but I wanted to hear what other people feel is lacking in my portfolio or could be improved so I can spend some time trying to sort it.

Thanks.
Posted 16 Aug 2013
Location shots - natural light?

Posted 16 Aug 2013
CYPhotographer
Photographer
CYPhotograph..
Ditto above. Go back to basics with just a lens, a reflector and your 24-105 there.

Use your time with your model to look at some more hitting concepts opposed to the same old T&A in the studio which may be a safe fall back?

Posted 17 Aug 2013
djb1
Photographer
djb1
Nothing lacking in your portfolio, keep going with your studio work and ignore those critics whose idea of creativity is to have a nude model wrapped around a tree branch. Don (djb1)

Posted 17 Aug 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
djb1
ignore those critics whose idea of creativity is to have a nude model wrapped around a tree branch.
They're not critics, they're only responding to his request to give their opinion on what's lacking in his profile.
Posted 17 Aug 2013
over all I think your portfolio is fine but if you want to add some thing you currently dont showcase then:

outdoor - just to add a different skill

natural light - as above

lingerie - you list it but other than glamor which isn't really the same you dont show it

high fashion - your fashion is nice but its a bit more commercial-y (if that makes sense)

erotic or fetish - I only suggest because you list adult

alternative - you list Gothic yet show no alternative looking models

Posted 17 Aug 2013
djb1

Nothing lacking in your portfolio, keep going with your studio work and ignore those critics whose idea of creativity is to have a nude model wrapped around a tree branch. Don (djb1)

"Ignore the critics whos idea of creativity is to have a nude model wrapped around a tree branch"

Oh please (edit out swear word) off.

I wasn't suggesting he poses a model nude outside on a tree branch,  location work and natural light is the areas in which I think his portfolio is lacking. He asked the question and my response would be the same no matter what style of modelling I do. 

I would say a good location shot beats the shit "creatively" out of a boring old flatly lit  shot in front of a white background any day of the week. But what would I know, my idea of "creativity" is clearly wrong.
Posted 17 Aug 2013
CYPhotographer
Photographer
CYPhotograph..
djb1
But isn't that the reason why he asked? Asking for a bit of variation? The thing with PS (and most forums) is that opinions whilst varied are from every angle. I would challenge you to approach the likes of Sergey P Iron with your last statement regarding a model wrapped around a tree but that's MY opinion... Chrissie is right... In ref to the OP's request, it is lacking in lots of areas which does take time to approach. Likewise is mine but you cant rule the world..Cant people be realistic in their answers anymore? I do however think that for everyone that gives advice, you should check the value of it based on their work content.
Posted 18 Aug 2013
Edited by CYPhotographer 18 Aug 2013
barone
Photographer
barone
"What is the portfolio lacking?".....

Daft question really....In order to decide on what's lacking, we first need to know what you want your portfolio to say about you....What's your end game?

Posted 18 Aug 2013
Edited by barone 18 Aug 2013
rob25881
Photographer
rob25881
Ideally I'd like the portfolio to show an ability to shoot good quality photos across a variety of genres.

In many ways I'm guilty of what has been mentioned before on here of sticking to what I know as it is a safe fall back and to a certain degree feel as though some of the shoots are getting a bit repetitive in their nature lately.

I want to try different ideas but am also worried that despite the outlay on the model, studio, equipment etc that alls I will end up with is...crap.

Posted 19 Aug 2013
LEGENDACB
Photographer
LEGENDACB
Obviously u like studio shots not a bad thing but agreed on the fact that if you want to show alittle more variety then live on the wild side haha perhaps go out the comfort zone and organise afew location shoots or other indoor locations like nightclub shoot etc

or even other styles like pin up and lingerie etc

keep up the good work

Posted 19 Aug 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join