Life after PS? Photoshop, not Purestorm

Life after PS? Photoshop, not Purestorm

28 posts
16 Aug 2013
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
This story may have been linked already. If not...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23714699

The interesting quote from the developer of one of the products is "Adobe is Photoshop. Everything else at Adobe is less than great in quality or is outdated, with a few exceptions.
Posted 16 Aug 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Most of Adobe's software has been obtained via the acquisition of other companies (eg. Flash, Dreamweaver, Audition) so it doesn't surprise me that they become a bit lacklustre as this always seems to happen with software regardless of what company buys it out (just look at Paint Shop Pro, it's crap compared to when JASC produced it).

Posted 16 Aug 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
"Surpassing Photoshop in features is easy - it would take two years. The thing is that no one wants another Photoshop with thousands of features. An image editing app without that many features is a tricky thing. That's what we are trying to accomplish with Pixelmator."

Just add 16 bit, and better support of different colourspaces and I'll switch...

Posted 16 Aug 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Andy_B
Just add 16 bit, and better support of different colourspaces and I'll switch...
Absolute rock-solid reliability is IMO what the other packages lack, especially when it comes to memory handling. Admittedly with 64-bit memory addressability and the cheapness of memory it's no longer the issue it once was but in comparison the likes of Paint Shop Pro are utterly useless for large jobs as they'd crash once the physical memory runs out wheras I've yet to see Photoshop fall over. I'd quite happily have continued with PSP years ago if it wasn't so unreliable.
Posted 16 Aug 2013
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
I used to prefer Corel Photopaint in 1999 as it could do all that PS could do and was easier to use.

Posted 16 Aug 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Sarge

I used to prefer Corel Photopaint in 1999 as it could do all that PS could do and was easier to use.

I am glad to find I am not the only one!

I can't put a date on it, so not sure if 1999 or otherwise but I certainly used to prefer Corel over PS.

I feel very strongly that Adobe have shot themselves in the foot with Cloud. It is quite simply a bloody cheek to treat customers the way they are. The problem is that when corporations get that large they think they are better than their customers and that the customers will simply roll over and swallow the marketing hype. They won't.

Kodak has shrunk and lost a hell of a lot of credibility for exactly the same reason. Contempt for the customer. Trouble is, a single product in an organisation as big as Kodak can be large enough to be a complete business in it's own right but is trivial in terms of the overall corporation. Thus Kodak nearly putting me out of business when I followed their marketing and based a business on a technique that relied on a specific film. They pulled the ruddy film!!!

I realy hope that Corel grabs the chance to win back it's old place and expand to overtake PS.
Posted 16 Aug 2013
seanb
Photographer
seanb
JeromeRazoir

I feel very strongly that Adobe have shot themselves in the foot with Cloud.

I don't think they went about it well, but subscription based software is probably the way of the future.

To keep selling new copies and upgrades, companies need to keep coming up with compelling new features and that just isn't possible. Microsoft have the same problem with Office, hence their move towards Office 365. The older versions work well enough that there is no incentive to upgrade.

By offering a subscription, in an ideal world they can concentrate on bug fixes and minor incremental improvements (in Adobe's case, maintaining support for new RAW formats is an important one). They no longer have to keep coming up with new features and rushing them out on an 18 month - 2 year cycle whether they're ready or not. With a subscription model they have a steadier revenue stream.

Where Adobe got it wrong is in the all or nothing approach. Initially the offering was the entire suite - that was your only choice. I believe it's now possible to subscribe to individual programs? That makes more sense, or they could offer packages - a photographers package containing PS and LR, a designers one with InDesign and Illustrator, and so on with discounts for buying two or more packages. It's a new model for their business, and it will need tweaking.

Posted 17 Aug 2013
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
It is not hard to see why they want to move things to a subscriptions basis but it is certainly not for the benefit of their customers. Talk of smaller more frequent updates is just a sop.

The problem is they are running out of scope for meaningful improvements. That is there is nothing more they can add that is a must have excuse for upgrading. The content aware fill options were about the only additions of note over the last couple of versions. Even those are of limited use to most professionals. You very quickly learn not to screw up so you need to mess around too much in the first place. There is simply not the time.

If they can move over to a rental system then they have a secure income even if they scale back on updates as customers will not have any choice. You cannot choose not to upgrade if they do not come up with enough improvements. I'm not convinced they will get away with it though. The last few versions have so much in them it is hard to see any justification for taking a one way trip to rental. I think the bulk of photographers will decide to just run the current versions into the ground.

It is not just Adobe who will want to do this I fear. Can anyone come up with a solid reason to update Office from say the 2007 version for example. I'm not even sure that version was a step forwards in terms of usability. Windows is the same. I've looked at replacing computers at the studio a few times but why? Windows 8 is a mare that will require wasting valuable time working out how the hell it functions and for what gain? There is nothing Windows 7 does not do perfectly well. The only new 'features' are things I would spend the first week trying to turn off.

It is not even a case of the computer falling apart. My home computer chugs to get going in the morning but after that it is perfectly capable of throwing huge files around in Photoshop 6 without much effort and yet it started off life with Windows XP loaded.

Posted 19 Aug 2013
ChazPhotos
Photographer
ChazPhotos
AS CS6 will do all I want I see no problem, along with Lightroom 5 its got all I need.

Posted 9 Sep 2013
MLP
Photographer
MLP

Do not give up yet of Photoshop - if like me you held out take a look at this:

http://fstoppers.com/just-announced-photoshop-and-lightroom-bundle-announced-for-9-99-a-month

My understanding is that a UK version will also be available!
Posted 9 Sep 2013
Edited by MLP 9 Sep 2013
marksilvester
Photographer
marksilveste..
MLP

Do not give up yet of Photoshop - if like me you held out take a look at this:

http://fstoppers.com/just-announced-photoshop-and-lightroom-bundle-announced-for-9-99-a-month

My understanding is that a UK version will also be available!

Yes the UK price is £7.14 per month for the Photographers Bundle, Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5  

The launch is 17th Sept, apparantly existing Photoshop CC single app users will automatically be transfered over at the new discounted rate.
Posted 9 Sep 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
marksilvester
Yes the UK price is £7.14 per month for the Photographers Bundle, Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5  
Have they said what the normal price will be after the initial discount? (I've looked but couldn't find it myself)
Posted 10 Sep 2013
MLP
Photographer
MLP

My understanding it is not a discounted introduction rate; it is a 'new' photographers rate - I have been speaking to Adobe and they say they have listened to photographers worldwide about the introduction of CC and this is the result.

I have not seen the £7.14 quoted above, but I would assume it is with the VAT, so less then £6.00 per month or £72.00 per year. Very much in line with the old upgrade costs every 18 - 24 months.

Your thoughts?

Posted 10 Sep 2013
Edited by MLP 10 Sep 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
MLP

I have not seen the £7.14 quoted above, but I would assume it is with the VAT, so less then £6.00 per month or £72.00 per year. Very much in line with the old upgrade costs every 18 - 24 months.

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/introducing-the-photoshop-photography-program/

The single app pricing is £17.58 at the moment so I'd expect this one to even out at ~£20-25ish once the introductory pricing is over (still a bloody rip-off IMO compared to the cost of boxed copies if you only ever upgraded every other version)
Posted 10 Sep 2013
MLP
Photographer
MLP

RedChecker: Where do you get ' ... I'd expect this one to even out at ~£20-25ish once the introductory pricing is over ...'

Read the link you posted - ' ... To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price for those of you who sign up by December 31, 2013 ...'

I for one was about to move on from PhotoShop, as chatted with them on the 'phone, but I think this will be worth the monthly fee

Posted 10 Sep 2013
Edited by MLP 10 Sep 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join