Anyone upgraded/downgraded to the 6D ?

Anyone upgraded/downgraded to the 6D ?

5 posts
15 Aug 2013
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
Would love your thoughts and comments please as I am considering my options.

I have a mk1 5D and a 7D on its last legs, but the reviews I have read are turning my head in that direction. but you cant beat
talking to people that upgraded/downgraded to get an honest view good or bad.

Cheers guys

Graham
Posted 15 Aug 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I went from a 5D (mk1) to a 6D and am so far quite pleased (still use the 5D as backup)

Some quick observations:-

- Liveview is a godsend if using it on a tripod, especially wide aperture
- High ISO is superb
- Low light focussing capability is massively improved over the 5D1
- Wifi is superb if using with an iPad with Shuttersnitch installed to show models the images (they take ~1-2 seconds to download at medium res JPG)
- SD cards are very cheap and I see no drawbacks in using them over CF
- feels a bit more solid than a 5D1, albeit slightly smaller.

- AF point selection is awkward compared to the 5D
- Sync speed's a bit slower
- file sizes take some getting used to (compared to 5D1)

One thing I will say is keep an eye out for free grip offers (genuine Canon ones). The price IMO is prohibitive if you're going to get it as an afterthought (£250). And make sure you have at least one spare battery.

Posted 15 Aug 2013
Edited by RedChecker 15 Aug 2013
RazorSharpImages
Photographer
RazorSharpIm..
Canon cash-back started on the 6D today so maybe another incentive
Posted 15 Aug 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
RazorSharpImages

Canon cash-back started on the 6D today so maybe another incentive

Wex have changed from a free grip to the £150 cashback from canon plus a half price grip - about the same deal but better if you don't want a grip!

Posted 15 Aug 2013
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
RedChecker
I went from a 5D (mk1) to a 6D and am so far quite pleased (still use the 5D as backup) Some quick observations:- - Liveview is a godsend if using it on a tripod, especially wide aperture - High ISO is superb - Low light focussing capability is massively improved over the 5D1 - Wifi is superb if using with an iPad with Shuttersnitch installed to show models the images (they take ~1-2 seconds to download at medium res JPG) - SD cards are very cheap and I see no drawbacks in using them over CF - feels a bit more solid than a 5D1, albeit slightly smaller. - AF point selection is awkward compared to the 5D - Sync speed's a bit slower - file sizes take some getting used to (compared to 5D1) One thing I will say is keep an eye out for free grip offers (genuine Canon ones). The price IMO is prohibitive if you're going to get it as an afterthought (£250). And make sure you have at least one spare battery.
Cheers for that, the 6d takes the same batteries as my 7d and I have 3 of those so that's convenient plus I have 16 gig sandisk class 10 SD cards I use with The G12 so the change over should be seamless. Only downside I can see Is that if and when my 7D gives up I will have to sell my 17-55 is 2.8 and Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens as you can't use them with full frame. With having the 7d I should be used to the live view element and the Video should I need it too Keeping an eye on the promotions too cheers G
Posted 15 Aug 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join