7D written off...

20 posts
7 Aug 2013
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
Sent my 7D (about 4 years old) away last week as I had started getting wierd problems with the model dial, example M was set on bulb on exposure, Av even with a 2.8 lens set on Av at 2.8 would change aperture as you panned around the room in different light... not good, quoted full service and parts if any needed tops 180...call today, sending camera back as apparent corrosion inside makes it an uneconomic repair...stunned !

Awaiting camera back to see exactly what is what but how does something like this stand under insurance which hopefully is the next step as I didnt think this would be happening, I did take it to everest base camp in march but it worked beautifully and has since !!

any thoughts ?

Cheers

Graham
Posted 7 Aug 2013
mikethefoto
Photographer
mikethefoto
If you are insured with Towergate shouldn't be a problem, cannot vouch for the others though.

Had two big claims in the past 16 years, not a quibble & very quick to pay.
Posted 7 Aug 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Condensation ? especially the climate you were in

Posted 7 Aug 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
smooth_image
Sent my 7D (about 4 years old) away last week....... sending camera back as apparent corrosion inside makes it an uneconomic repair....... I did take it to everest base camp in march...... any thoughts ?
Yeah, it's f***ed
Posted 8 Aug 2013
MG
Photographer
MG
I'm not an insurer but my opinion is you may struggle with insurance as it generally has to be a sudden and unforeseen breakage rather than just wear and tear which it sounds like yours is. I think you possibly took it and used it outside of its operating temperature zones. Just my opinion, that's all....

Posted 8 Aug 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Not a chance in my view I fear.
Posted 8 Aug 2013
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
Result: Its *****d and insurance are putting it down to wear and tear, however had i dropped it or left it on a train that would be a different matter (their words) and it would be covered. So much for being honest huh !

Posted 8 Aug 2013
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Cameras are normally insured against theft or accident and this doesn't seem to be either...as you said...you could have 'lost' it and claimed...but that would be fraud in that it wasn't what happened to it.

Had the insurance company paid out on such a claim it would have meant all the other policy holders were contributing to cover the fraud...as the money has to come from somewhere. But as you were honest you at least have a clear consciences!

Unlike all those that haven't who are causing premiums to be much higher than they need be....

Posted 8 Aug 2013
Edited by anthonyh 8 Aug 2013
MG
Photographer
MG
To be honest if you listed it on eBay as sometimes faulty and list the problem (without telling everyone about your trip to Everest) then you'd be amazed at what it sold for on there. I reckon it would sell for current used price minus £200 - £250 which really wouldn't be a bad result at all. Considering most insurance excesses are £150 to £200 then the experience need not cost you dearly at all.

Posted 8 Aug 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
I doubt you are covered for this. Certainly if you are with Photoguard I would suggest not a glimmer of a hope. I would venture to suggest it might stand more chance if it were accidentally dropped and so beyond economic repair? Alternatively, if the body is weather sealed like some Nikons you could try talking to Canon about it. It does highlight how just the elements can wreck a precision device if it is not cared for in extreme conditions...kept in protected case when not in use, plenty of silica gel packs and never leave the lens or body caps off. ..?

Posted 8 Aug 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
if anyone wants silica gel moisture bags to draw the dampness from bags, equipment etc i have access to hundreds !
pm me and then send a stamped addressed envelope with sufficient postage and you can have some

Posted 8 Aug 2013
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford

i'm really sorry to hear about the internal corrosion to your camera
causing it to be a write-off.

rise above the thought of a potential fraudulent insurance claim
or advertising it without full disclosure as that will certainly
return to bite you one way or another.

Posted 11 Aug 2013
Thatphotographerguy
Photographer
Thatphotogra..
It's apparently a design fault with the 7D. Having a full metal body means it is more susptable to condensation, and the internal mechanisms aren't protected against damp as you would expect them to be. You may struggle to get a new one through insurance. This is why I sold mine, got good money for it before it bolloxed up on me.

Posted 11 Aug 2013
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
If this camera is used in a professional capacity with proper tax returns sent each year etc then it could be a write off for tax purposes. Or if deciding to become pro. anytime soon....put it down (at normal market value) as part of your capital equipment..that way you can claim depreciation to reduce potential tax liability....either from your business earnings, or any other earned income.

Posted 12 Aug 2013
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
Thanks for all the info and opinions, appreciated, camera arrived back with images of said internal corrosion, however, not sure what they did do to it, but apart from the flash not popping up which I am not bothered about too much as I use externals, all seems to be working ok, I shot some sports at the weekend and the quality or performance has not dimished. However I know its on death row not knowing when and where it will decide to give up the ghost, all I will do is keep it warm and dry, wrap it in cotton wool and keep it going as long as possible.

Soooooo whether to get another 7D ? or been reading up on the 6D, sound impressive especially the image quality and low light performance, I know of the basic differences between the two full frame and fps difference, I also have a 5D so aware of full frame capabilities, but I am not shooting so much sports so thought 6D might be a better replacement for my needs.

Any thoughts from any of you out there with the 6D or even better anyone with a 7D and a 6D ?

Cheers

Graham
Posted 14 Aug 2013
Edited by smooth_image 14 Aug 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join