People who contact you to photograph them ...

People who contact you to photograph them ...

17 posts
6 Aug 2013
IanScales
Photographer
IanScales
People who contact you to photograph them with one sentence. When you reply, you never hear back.

Does this happen to anyone else - you get contacted with a one sentence interest statement like:

"Definitely interested in doing a shoot with you". Then when you reply, you never hear anything again. I also have had women write to me saying their boyfriends are  up for a shoot. Again, when you reply there is nothing. I can understand some people may change their minds, but it always sets off alarm signals in my head, particularly when there is a very brief request.

The only thing I don't get is why would people do that. What possible scam could it be and what reasons? 
Posted 6 Aug 2013
Edited by WebModerator 6 Aug 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
They're expecting you to reply saying that you're going to throw them several thousand £ in cash for a couple of hours work and that you'll get them published in all the glossies.

Posted 6 Aug 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Yes indeed happens occasionally. Can be puzzling at first . Same thing happens to models as well.

Posted 6 Aug 2013
Edited by magpie1 6 Aug 2013
IanScales
Photographer
IanScales
Ha ha - but it's just odd. Maybe it's time wasters or people who do it when drunk or something
Posted 6 Aug 2013
JBC
Photographer
JBC
There are plenty of them about ! I'm thinking about not replying,
but maybe I'm too nice...

Posted 6 Aug 2013
Cody
Model
Cody
Yes had this a few times. Think it's a lack of confidence and /or they've had a few

Posted 6 Aug 2013
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
JBC
There are plenty of them about ! I'm thinking about not replying, but maybe I'm too nice...
Could be why your response rate is only 64% though, possibly worth a thanks but no thanks!
Posted 6 Aug 2013
BrianSelway
Photographer
BrianSelway
Happens a lot on here. Or a model will talk keenly about doing a shoot, then suddenly stop replying, and never log on again. As they don't tend to show in the obituaries, I think it's usually a confidence thing.

Posted 6 Aug 2013
Get it a lot as a model - it's a bit irritating but not worth getting upset over.

The only one that did really bother me was a studio that emailed about a tuition day on a particular date. I replied saying yes I'm available, your rate is acceptable, I can be there at the specified time, can you please confirm and what do I need to bring?

No response...set another email...no response...called the studio...voicemail, no call back...set a final email saying "I'm assuming it isn't happening then"...no response to that either. :P

It was frustrating because I didn't know whether or not to keep the date free - it seemed like a pretty serious inquiry at first and I didn't want to accidentally double book myself.

Posted 7 Aug 2013
IanScales
Photographer
IanScales
dominicdgt

Could be why your response rate is only 64% though, possibly worth a thanks but no thanks!

Interesting - 64%? Does that mean because of my response to their messages? Because I don't believe I have EVER not responded to someone messaging, even if it is to decline a shoot. I do remember someone saying they messaged me when they turned up and I they said I hadn't didn't replied. Even though I checked through and had no record of the specific message they said they had sent (I presumed they weren't being exactly honest)
Posted 7 Aug 2013
Edited by IanScales 7 Aug 2013
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
IanScales
Interesting - 64%? Does that mean because of my response to their messages? Because I don't believe I have EVER not responded to someone messaging, even if it is to decline a shoot. I do remember someone saying they messaged me when they turned up and I they said I hadn't didn't replied. Even though I checked through and had no record of the specific message they said they had sent (I presumed they weren't being exactly honest)
Hi Ian, The response rate is visible to Gold and Platinum members only i believe and shows up when you compose or respond to an email. I'm guessing a massive proportion of Purestorm users don't have that level of membership so it's not a huge factor but i'd always suggest keeping an eye on your response rate because in a tough/competitive internet modelling/photographic world every little helps! I was surprised when i first got to see my response rate it wasn't 100%. I too respond to all enquiries specific or general although possibly in the past i was a bit indifferent to comments such as "high I'm in your area" I understand as long as you respond to the initial contact additional messages don't adversely affect your response rate but occasionally someone will respond to an issue with a new thread that is a standalone comment, such as "sure that's great see you then" this would need a response to complete the process of keeping your response rate high even though you've already completed the conversation with the previous thread! As to mails going astray I doubt it. More likely just not responding for whatever reason, volume of emails received through to general apathy. Check if it sits in your sent list, it's unlikely if listed it wasn't sent. You can check too if read which is very useful, although I don't think you can check when it was read unlike Facebook/Outlook etc. People tell you loads of reasons other than the reality, A contact recently replied to me with "sorry I only just read your message and sorry i missed your event"! I could see they read it over a week before I'd ask them to think about coming and I'd class this person as fairly reliable! Its internet/normal life I'm afraid! Dominic.
Posted 7 Aug 2013
Edited by dominicdgt 7 Aug 2013
IanScales
Photographer
IanScales
Cheers for all that info Dominic. I'll bear all that in mind! I appreciate you taking time to helping me out. Ian

Posted 7 Aug 2013
Remember tho if ure last person to end a conversation that will go as a no reply x

Posted 7 Aug 2013
IanScales
Photographer
IanScales
charlie_girl

Remember tho if ure last person to end a conversation that will go as a no reply x

That's ridiculous though! Cos that surely means someone will always get affected by a negative mark.
Posted 7 Aug 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
IanScales
That's ridiculous though! Cos that surely means someone will always get affected by a negative mark.
What's negative about not replying or having a low reply number ?
Posted 7 Aug 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join