Photographer's Age

Photographer's Age

28 posts
25 July 2013
JamieCraigPhoto
Photographer
JamieCraigPhoto
I'm 21.

I'm a professional photographer, I make a good income yet my age seems to make me seem less professional?

Some think I'm just a student, others think I can't be any good, other's think I may just be a GWC.

I mainly shoot fashion and fine art, I also assist in the teaching of photographic make up. I do many printed glamour shoots and almost every model says, "but you're not 50?!"

Are most glamour photographers 50?!

Posted 25 July 2013
LadylikeMedia
Photographer
LadylikeMedia
I'm 26 and have been doing it for 5 years...

Posted 25 July 2013
Webbo2
Photographer
Webbo2
I'm a young photographer, and whilst I have had the odd comment about my age I just get on with it and let my photos do the talking, and very often use it as a topic of light banter during a shoot. I feel like the fact that I am a similar age as some models can be an advantage as far as relating to them, eg finding that we were at the same college at the same time but didn't know each other back then etc. just go with it.

Posted 25 July 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
JamieCraigPhoto
I'm 21....... and almost every model says, "but you're not 50?!"
I'm 50 and no model ever says to me, "But you're only 21!"
Posted 25 July 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
A young model said of me to her mid 50's Dad. "He's old, but not as old as you" I'm 48 but look months younger
Posted 25 July 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
To be quite honest, I very rarely see a photographer on these sites who is under 30 and any good. Ladylikemedia is one of those rare ones.

Like many careers, the fact is that the older you get, very often the better you get.

Posted 25 July 2013
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
I've never understood some people's obsession with age. The only time I check a model's age is if she looks very young and I need to confirm she's over 18. There are so many people who look considerably younger or older than they are that I find it irrelevant. Last week when I asked a girl her age (no, it's not rude to do so as she's not obliged to answer!) she replied "How old do you want me to be?". Great answer I thought.
Posted 25 July 2013
Knockout
Photographer
Knockout
When I was 25, I read that no one under the age of 40 had ever taken a good photograph. Perhaps it's true
Posted 25 July 2013
ziggypot
Photographer
ziggypot
Last week I was carrying a backpack and bag with camera gear on the tube and a guy in his 30's offered me his seat! When he saw the 'I will rip your throat out and feed it too you' look on my face he quickly added it is not about you, just all that stuff you are carrying. Be blessed you are young Jamie and enjoy it ...if people think you are too young they are probably just jealous
Posted 25 July 2013
LauraLily
Photographer
LauraLily
Yes, I get that ALL the time, especiallt at weddings! I'm 28 years old have been photographing full time for 6 years and people still seem to find it a problem - mind you I also look uite a bit younger. Combine it with being female also and it seems to be doubly problematic for some people!

Posted 25 July 2013
PaddyShiel
Photographer
PaddyShiel
I'm 23 and have been shooting as a hobbyist for just over a year. I thought being younger was a drawback, but models I've worked with and mentioned it to seem to enjoy it!

Posted 25 July 2013
Pict
Photographer
Pict
JamieCraigPhoto
I'm 21. I'm a professional photographer, I make a good income yet my age seems to make me seem less professional?
Its just a hurdle to get over. Wait till you're 50. There will be another one
Posted 26 July 2013
kgp
Photographer
kgp
PaulManuell

I'm 50 and no model ever says to me, "But you're only 21!"

I'm older than you and nobody say's it me.
Posted 26 July 2013
cardiff_tog2005
Photographer
cardiff_tog2005
I used to be young once !

Posted 26 July 2013
kt101
Photographer
kt101
I'm over 50 and don't get to shoot glamour
Posted 26 July 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join