Lap-top computer choice

Lap-top computer choice

4 posts
24 July 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
I bought a new lap-top recently and looked at a price range up to around £ 1,300.

So I looked at Sony, Samsung etc.

I eventually chose an ACER which cost £ 399  - because it had a better 'windows Experience Index' than virtually all of the others. Including graphic performance.

The acer has usb 3 connections, HDMI connection very good screen resolution etc.

My question is, why would some-one spend say £ 1,000 on a lap-top which does not seem to perform as well as one for £ 399 ? (I have never understood why some-one would ever buy an Apple Computer to be honest but that is another thread perhaps).

Is it build quality ? Will the fan stop working (which has happened to all my previous lap-tops) ? Then again, if it is build quality you could replace it with an equivalent one and still not spend the £ 1000 on an inferior lap-top ?

I hope this makes sense.

A wondering me   ...........
Posted 24 July 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Have you ever used an Apple? (or any other expensive make) The feel & build quality of them is superb and for some people this is important.

Other seemingly minor details can also be important such as memory expandability, USB3/FW800 connectivity, video card, screen quality, etc. Many of these are not available or cut back heavily of cheap/consumer laptops and so if you want them you have no choice but to throw a lot of money at them, a good example is memory expansion as many consumer models cannot be expanded beyond 4/8GB wheras some of the premium laptops on the market can be expanded to 16/24/32GB which is handy if you intend the machine to be a desktop replacement for example.

Posted 24 July 2013
DKirk
Photographer
DKirk
As RedChecker said, quite often it is down to things like it having a separate video card with it's own dedicated graphics memory. Or far better build quality and expandability - certain custom manufacturers often in a machine that can be upgraded to say 16GB RAM but has 4GB or 8GB as standard use a single memory stick instead of the normal where they use multiple smaller memory sticks.

There's also the build quality issue - a few friends used Acers in the past and each one has 'died' (they were the same model so it could have been a design flaw in the motherboard). Each one had the DC jack integrated onto the motherboard and in each case they were told they had to buy a new motherboard. . .

Posted 24 July 2013
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Having been a computer engineer for many years, and having seen most things that can happen to a computer, often the difference between £399 and £899 is a badge.

Apples have a very dedicated band of supporters, but I have been brought in Mac laptops with problems that make me realise  why I would not have one. A Macbook Air has memory that is hard wired to the board - so if the memory fails - and I have had a couple where it has - it required a new motherboard!! It can't be upgraded and the HD interface is unique so if the drive fails, it is extremely expensive to have repaired.

The one thing I noticed in the shop is the way men and women buy computers. Women will tell you what they want the computer to do, and buy one that does the job it is needed for - and doubly so if it is available in pink. Men buy the biggest, fastest, sexiest, hairiest and most expensive machine they can find.

Posted 24 July 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join