Sciatica...it's a right pain in the a*** !

Sciatica...it's a right pain in the a*** !

17 posts
15 July 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Literally !
and thigh
and calf
and foot 

Posted 15 July 2013
Bigfish3311
Photographer
Bigfish3311
I feel your pain. Backs been bad for 3 weeks. I needed an "assistant" for the bending and lifting on my last shoot
Posted 15 July 2013
orsoncarter
Photographer
orsoncarter
photostore

Literally !
and thigh
and calf
and foot 

Very sorry to hear it. You have my sympathy.
Posted 15 July 2013
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
Yup.

Healthy dosages of strong cocodamols help me through mine, intermittently however

(the stupidity of it is my gfs sisters other half is a hull city football club physio and my cousin is final year chiaropractor) must must must get it sorted
Posted 15 July 2013
Edited by alexkidd 15 July 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
When I damaged my sciatic nerve at work a few years back I suffered for a month before being refered to a chiropractor through my health insurance.
Within 3 minutes lying on her massage table I was cured and have had no pain from it since.

Hope you get something sorted soon

Posted 16 July 2013
KevinJS
Photographer
KevinJS
Hi,
I have had it for several years and tried almost everything. When it first came on in 2004 it was after bending / heavy lifting and after the initial shock the pain took three weeks to go away, the doctor prescribed diacofinetic which had limited success though he felt it was osteo arthritis, which I also suffer from.
          Since then the pain has gone but my leg feels at times as if it is unstable and indeed I have had three falls as my foot turns in on itself occasionally.
          After the last attack two years ago I saw a phsio who diagnosed it as sciatica piriformis syndrome and after some treatment and acupuncture he provided me with a set of exercises ,which I carry out daily and this has mitigated the effects, however my leg still feels as if the nerve is trapped and while not painful is not pleasant either.
          Overall a pretty nasty thing to have
Posted 16 July 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Thanks for the kind words, I am pretty gutted at the moment, but fortunately i'm not the depression type i just get real pissed off, not being mobile. i had an op for two burst disks about 5 yrs ago and have had chronic back pain for 10 yrs + i have an mri scan booked on thursday and its looking like i may be heading for a second operation not happy at the thought, as the % of ending up in a wheelchair increases with every operation Still, if your quality of life is badly affected the only thing to do is throw the dice! for anyone with problems id definatly recommend your own ultrasound machine (not very dear at all, paid for itself with the equivalent of 4 physio treatments- and was actually recommended by mine, for the interim periods between treatments, anyone interested drop me a pm for details)
Posted 16 July 2013
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
Had that for six months, it's evil. Two pieces of advice. First, it will commonly go of it's own accord. This is a standard result, and it did for me. The second, pain control is all. Co-codamol or co-dydramol will help, as will paracetemol mixed with ibuprofen if your guts will stand it. In particular keep taking the paracetemol.

My pain regime was paracetemol during the day, and co-xxx at night, in dosages times to paracetemol. It can be important to take the pain killers even when you ain't hurting, as this can give you quite a few days away from the pain. Probably not the best idea, but sometimes I topped up before bed with a good tot of Woods 57% ABV rum. Anyway, you have my deepest sympathy. Nobody who hasn't suffered it can appreciate it's misery.

Posted 16 July 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Sdeve

Had that for six months, it's evil. Two pieces of advice. First, it will commonly go of it's own accord. This is a standard result, and it did for me. The second, pain control is all. Co-codamol or co-dydramol will help, as will paracetemol mixed with ibuprofen if your guts will stand it. In particular keep taking the paracetemol. My pain regime was paracetemol during the day, and co-xxx at night, in dosages times to paracetemol. It can be important to take the pain killers even when you ain't hurting, as this can give you quite a few days away from the pain. Probably not the best idea, but sometimes I topped up before bed with a good tot of Woods 57% ABV rum. Anyway, you have my deepest sympathy. Nobody who hasn't suffered it can appreciate it's misery.

Hi steve, yeah got the meds covered
co-codamol 1000mg every 4 hours
ibuprofen 400mg every 4 hrs
and gabapentin )spelling unsure) 600mg three times a day, the gabapentin is a nerve pain blocker and it totally removed my long term back pain, but after a couple of weeks got the sciatica  presumably i am causing issues with the back but not feeling it there and hitting / rubbing the nerve.

All the above is almost keeping at bay for a couple of hours only at the moment ! and i actually hate taking any form of medicine !!! but at the moment i'd take anything anyone offered.

Posted 16 July 2013
Two photographers on here, I shoot with, have Sciatica...one stays in bed, the other gets about and still shoots...TRY Reiki for relief, better than conventional painkillers...

Posted 16 July 2013
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
I damaged my back in my early 20s playing football. For years I was in unbelieable pain with sciatica and back ache and tried everything - massage, hydrotherapy, acupuncture , physiotherapy, pain killers ... Then I got told by a friend about an Osteopath who could sort it out. I always thought it was some hippy nonsense, but ten sessions with her and I am now 10 years without any aches or pain. I don't know what magic an Osteopath does but it was the best £250 i've ever spent.
Posted 16 July 2013
paule
Photographer
paule
Find yourself a local SMA qualified practitioner ..not a skin polisher, someone who knows anatomy to a decent level... SMA website 

I knew a lass who'd been doped up to the eyeballs by her doc for 6 months, visited a Premier League physio all to no avail... she'd had kids and reckoned this, constant, pain was as bad as she'd know.. one session with a qualified SMA therapist and she was fixed.. maybe an extreme case, but it's not as 'alternate therapy' as some AT's

May not work for you but much better option than going under the knife.. and will probably be only £25-35..

Posted 16 July 2013
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
Yep me too, pain in the but cheek ( piriformis ) constant cramp in the calf & some bugger throwing darts at the bottom of my foot ( well, feels like it ) I'm on Amitriptylin but i'm not sure it does much but i don't fancy coming off it to check in case it is doing something. I've had the spin injections, first one worked a treat for about 6 weeks but 2 more injections after that did nothing. As a gardener i'm walking about 20 miles a day when mowing & that is when it hurts the least. Good luck with it, hope you find something to help.

Posted 16 July 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Mine started when I was pushing a barrow with a sack of cement in it, barrow tipped and I tried to stop it, breath taking pain , 20+ years on I still get recurrences, trigger can be almost anything, most embarrassing, arising from toilet, at work, managed to get trousers on and spent the rest of the day walking, slowly, like Groucho Marx.
What I've found to accelerate the return to normal is careful stretching exercises, which can hurt, but do work, for me. Lying on back pulling alternate knees as far as possible to the chest. Fencers 'lunges' each leg in turn.

Posted 16 July 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Thanks for the support guys, unfortunately i have tried everything possible from physio to some alternate woman who im sure was trying to draw demons out of me, stamping her foot while lifting her hand OFF me quickly, then funny as it sounds now, squashing my nose, then my toes and i was in there for back issues ??? my insurance through work sees me fortunately getting the best care and experts in the UK,so i have tried everything Thomhl, i see your Ayrshire way ! it wasnt at Jan de friese (spelling ?) clinic was it ? i'd appreciate the detail, willing to do anything and pay anything at this stage of the game if it saves going under the knife, The doc offered to sign me off and get me onto opiods like i had after my op but thats not living in any sense of the word, my wife says it was the best time in her life though (laughingly... i think) it went like this, sleep, i wake up, fed me, watered me,off to toilet, exercises,more happy pills, sleep, wake, feed..... 9 and a half weeks of that
Posted 16 July 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join