WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER - SAYS IT ALL!!!

WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER - SAYS IT ALL!!!

72 posts
30 June 2013
Shawry
Photographer
Shawry
well Ive heard it all now, a casting call for a wedding photographer or two with a budget of £400 max!!! plus its the last thing on the list to sort!!! Well doesn't that just show how valued the profession has become. But coming from a so called model really p*****es me off
Posted 30 June 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Seems to me she is being up front about her budget and priorities,and willing to pay something which is a lot more than most that actually cast for weddings on here and she's paying £100.00 an hour for four hours and a little basic editing  !
Why get your knickers in a twist, presumably your a wedding photographer and this pisses you off no end-but is she near you ? is she your target clientelle ? if not then what do you care.
She will get what she pays for, i hear everyone cry, however she may be lucky and get more than some of the pros could or would give her, even if she paid into the thousand plus £ brackett ! ......and i repeat £100.00 AN HOUR ! She'll probably have a full inbox !

I do agree with you though, the profession is no longer valued, but that's the same for a lot of professions
Posted 30 June 2013
Edited by photostore 30 June 2013
Shawry
Photographer
Shawry
Yes your right it does wizz me off and yes she will get what she pays for- utter crap. But what really p#####s me off is and it's not just her, the fact that the photography is seen as the last service to sort. The brides budget for the dress, dj is probably more than the photos. I would have thought any model on here would appreciate the value of good photography? Obviously wrong.
Posted 30 June 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The fact is, a model will have a better idea of the low costs associated with photography compared to how much a wedding photographer would have you believe it costs. And yes it will be the last thing to consider, especially since most cameras (and even phones) can take photos of an acceptable standard and everyone has them now (photography is no longer the luxury it once was).

Posted 30 June 2013
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
It's a better offer than those who advertise for a TF wedding photographer because 'they are a good looking couple'. Also £400 is nearly treble what the base end around here charges.

Posted 30 June 2013
Shawry
Photographer
Shawry
Like I say - this says it all
If you lot as photographers whether amateur or pro don't value your craft then there's no hope.

Posted 30 June 2013
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
Each to their own. I have photographed weddings for less than £400 (ok, for friends of friends and on a hobby basis) and I don't think that mine were rubbish (and neither did the couple and family). Its worth a try for a model to get one on the cheap, there will always be a photographer who will take them up on the offer. Photography has changed (and not for the better either) and lessened in the way its viewed as more an more people have decent(ish) cameras and can take decent(ish) photographs. You just have to evolve with it or sink.
Shawry
Like I say - this says it all If you lot as photographers whether amateur or pro don't value your craft then there's no hope.
So, don't you do ANY tf photos? If so, then why if you value your craft? I value my work a lot, it doesn't matter if I do it for money or for free, I still want to do the best I can.
Posted 30 June 2013
Edited by Sarge 30 June 2013
bane711
Photographer
bane711
She is up front and trying her luck. I'm a believer in "If you don't ask you don't get". Times are hard all around and if I was in the area, I'd do it. Money is money after all and if it helps to keep the wolves from the door then so be it....

Live and let live mate.

Mike

Posted 30 June 2013
Shawry
Photographer
Shawry
Oh come on
There is a big difference to shooting a model tf on a Saturday morning than shooting a wedding with the pressure and responsibilities that come with it. I guess you've never done one then?

Posted 30 June 2013
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
Done plenty of weddings, and yes there is a lot of pressure and responsibility to be had, they are also stressful and very frustrating too.
But just because there is not the same pressure with a model on a Saturday morning does not mean I value my craft more/less.

Posted 30 June 2013
Shawry
Photographer
Shawry
Sarge - I am not having a pop at just you, but if you are shooting weddings as a hobbyist like you say for less than £400 then you are like many others undermining the whole profession. Just because its happening does not mean its right does it?

Posted 30 June 2013
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
£100 per hour rather underestimates the time involved. I'd say, an hour spent discussing the event beforehand as to times & requirements, (ok preliminary work but still my time), at least an hour at the bride's house before she leaves for her wedding, drive to the venue, the wedding itself, drive to the reception, the reception itself up to and partly beyond the dancing/celebrations - probably 6/7 hours in total. Every evening for the next three weeks editing and preparing images, - so much more I could reel off that many people who haven't done it wouldn't be aware of or would claim to be unnecessary. I'd say a minimum of 30 hours work for a wedding. I for one am not prepared to compromise the quality of what I do for the sake of saving time. I work in a photographic printers and regularly see for myself the results of "I know a friend who can do it"! We also have a number of professional photographers who use our printing services, and their photography blows the others away.

Posted 30 June 2013
Shawry
Photographer
Shawry
Well said kiboko
Posted 30 June 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Kiboko, i agree in principle.However the op on his own site is offering Loxley coffee table books and a cd, now there is absolutley nothing wrong with that and i make no judgment of his ability nor the product,(i use Loxley and know exactly the cost of every single product) but lets be realistic, that offering to me, says lower end of the wedding photography market,(again no judgment-who am i to judge) now if he's that worried by this models posting, then those who potentially choose him are probably not that many? that his diary is not full for the year?... he is now directly competing with semi pros and amatuers who provide what couples want within or lower than his prices, maybe he is overpriced for the product and service he offers ? again i dont know what he charges and make no judgment. Get what you can !(if you can)

I have yet to see any of the top uk wedding photographers moan about amatuers impacting their business or them having to adjust their rates to compare or compete, NO, it only affects you if your not providing that much of a superior product or service.
Sorry if this is being blunt, In this climate if you want anyone to part with cash then you have to be better or provide more than the next guy, sure we'll hear all about studio overheads, paying my taxes,time editing in front of a computer and the end results....well the part time guy is going to go to his day job, shoot when he can, edit them on days off or evenings, probably not pay the tax man, and has no overheads....is it right-no !It's fact of life - it happens - if you cant outshine that guy then sorry but your in the wrong business, or need to re-evaluate if it's all worthwhile
As for pressure and responsibility, well i have it in spades in my job, i wish i could use it as an excuse to charge more for my services, i'm making less than i did 5 yrs ago in the exact same job
Posted 30 June 2013
Edited by photostore 30 June 2013
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
I think there is some exaggerations regarding editing time from many photographers.
Wedding photographs are not model portfolio shots. The vast majority of wedding shots I do are checked in Bridge, maybe a tweak of exposure but that is about it. I custom set White Balance at each section of the wedding. Assuming I frame them OK, there is no cropping to do, so after kicking out say 50, from 400, I can do the basic edit in a morning. I may then "polish a few as examples, or if I see a few really nice ones I think will impress the couple. I then tell them, when they get them on disc, if you are printing any larger than 8 x 12 inch, let me know which and I will edit them further if they need it.

Very few customers down here want expensive albums etc, in fact, I tell most not to think about an album for a month as they will have friends taking pics ad there may be lots of lovely pictures they want to put in with the rest to make the album even better. REMEMBER, their wedding album is a record of their day, not your skill. Modern cameras, as much as many of you will hate it, take pretty damn good shots, even with an idiot at the controls.

Weddings have got harder to get as every family has at leas one member capable of taking a reasonable picture. OK, they will shag up the aisle and register signing shots, but they "will do" for a lot of people nowadays. No need to go on about wedding photography being undermined, it is, no amount of moaning will change that. Either be utterly shit hot and charge a couple of grand, or bang 'em out and charge £500, even £250 if you need the jobs. It used to bother me, but not any more, live and let live.
Posted 1 July 2013
Edited by mattharper 30 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join