Is YouTube an appropriate format?

Is YouTube an appropriate format?

35 posts
25 June 2013
Freelanderjason
Photographer
Freelanderja..
Seeking both Photographer and model opinions here.

I photographed a model who I don't wish to name/shame about a year ago. Absolutely great shoot, she was extremely happy with the results. We totally stayed within her agreed levels and, as it was a paid shoot and I'd be using the photos on my website/flickr/tumblr etc, I ensured I asked her what name I could use to credit her in the photos.

There were so many great photos that I decided to create a video montage and post on YouTube and to clarify, it is not a video of the photo session itself but a compilation of all the photographic stills set to music as a rotating slideshow.

A year on and I've just received a notification that she's tried, unsucessfully, to have the video removed from YouTube. I contacted her to ascertain why and she is stating that the name on the video, the one she distinctly gave me permission to use, is her stage name and she doesn't want me to use it. I challenged that she currently has other profiles on the net (ModelMayhem/Starnow) using her 'Stage Name' with exactly the same glamour photos that feature on my video compilation to which she replied that she didn't think the photographs would end up on YouTube.

Sorry, but am I missing something here? Is YouTube an inappropriate medium for a photographer to display their work?

Posted 25 June 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Freelanderjason

it was a paid shoot and I'd be using the photos on my website/flickr/tumblr etc,

I ensured I asked her what name I could use to credit her in the photos

she is stating that the name on the video, the one she distinctly gave me permission to use, is her stage name and she doesn't want me to use it

she currently has other profiles on the net (ModelMayhem/Starnow) using her 'Stage Name' with exactly the same glamour photos that feature on my video compilation

Based on the bare facts I, personally, cannot see that you've done anything 'wrong'.
And, yes, I have seen other photographers use Youtube in a similar way.

Best regards
Paul
Posted 25 June 2013
Brian_Markie
Photographer
Brian_Markie
Simple, you paid her, tell her to go do one in short jerky motions.
Posted 25 June 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Vimeo's slightly more professional and can be tailored better IMO, although for the most part I've only seen behind the scenes footage & interviews etc. on there, I personally think using the video medium for photos is a little naff.

Posted 25 June 2013
Flash
Photographer
Flash
Just watched it on YouTube - she has nothing to complain about- it's tasteful, she was paid, end of story. If she feels that strongly, maybe she should refund your fee AND compensate you for your time and efforts.

Posted 25 June 2013
I don't see anything wrong with that? I would be comfortable with that usage.

Posted 25 June 2013
MG
Photographer
MG
There is a part of the jigsaw that is missing here.... There is a reason for her request... Just ask her to tell you the real reason and then say you will consider her request... If you fell it is a justified reason then remove it if you feel willing. If you don't, then just ignore it.

Posted 25 June 2013
Why not just change the name if that is what she is complaining about? Is it actually in the video and that is the problem?

Posted 25 June 2013
Flash
Photographer
Flash
JadedRed

Why not just change the name if that is what she is complaining about? Is it actually in the video and that is the problem?

It is in the title of the video. But that's not the point. If it's paid work, then she has no right to ask for the film to be removed or her name to be deleted. Just like many famous actors, at some point in their career they will end up in a turkey that they regret. They don't expect the film to be binned or their name to be taken off the titles. I'm not saying that this YouTube film is a turkey, however the photographer has paid to use her image, and from his point of view, maybe he wants people to know that he has shot with this model.

The photographs are tasteful, they are well executed, but at the end of the day if the model isn't comfortable, she shouldn't have taken the money and posed. 

Posted 26 June 2013
Freelanderjason
Photographer
Freelanderja..
Changing the name is easy enough but it seems redundant given that she's using the same name elsewhere on the net to promote her modelling and as I said, she's asking for me to remove the video completely as "she didn't expect ithe photos to be shown on YouTube" which is a non-sensical argument as I can technically show the photos on any medium anywhere.

I'm quite amenable in that when models I've photographed previously have gone on to have a professional career outside of modelling and have requested that I either change names or take photos down from the net, I've been happy to do so however that's because they've gone and done the same themselves by closing modelling accounts etc. Doing a quick google on this particular model and the Internet is rife with profiles and glamour shots that she's actively promoting. She even has her own YouTube channel!

I've also published the same photographs of her elsewhere on the net either via my website/Flickr etc. using the same name - the one she said I should use (and all these photos also crop up on a google search) but for some reason, it's only the YouTube video she's wants removing.

Posted 26 June 2013
Edited by Freelanderjason 26 June 2013
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuilding..
It could be that she has family who are not aware of the full nature of the shoots that she does (unlikely).

If on Vimeo, MM etc they may not be as likely to come across her, however on You Tube which they are more likely to use they will coma across her and this may be what she is worried about.

I know that a Search Engine search will find her. However she may not be thinking too clearly about that.

However as the photographer it is your choice which format you use and there is no inappropriate format.

Posted 26 June 2013
Edited by pinkbuildingphotography 26 June 2013
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
How much more work she might have got from your youtube exposure. Maybe you should ask her to pay you commission?
Vimeo is now so popular a google search is just as likely to reveal her no more than in youtube.

Posted 26 June 2013
Edited by Chandos 26 June 2013
Freelanderjason
Photographer
Freelanderja..
Chandos
How much more work she might have got from your youtube exposure.
Posted 26 June 2013
lostinbids
Photographer
lostinbids
Did you get a release?

Posted 26 June 2013
Flash
Photographer
Flash
lostinbids

Did you get a release?

What does he need one for?