Does being a photographer make you look differently at images?

Does being a photographer make you look differently at images?

22 posts
22 June 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Do you find that being a photographer makes you look differently at images?

Personally I find myself giving them a critical look for reflections of lights, bows at odd angles on lingerie, twists in stockings, twists in knickers, fluff or lose threads on clothes, scuffs on bottom of shoes, etc.

Maybe I'm just weird?

Posted 22 June 2013
Mr_Trompie
Photographer
Mr_Trompie
I guess it does make me think a bit more, especially when the images have the word "sample" right across them
Posted 22 June 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Mr_Trompie
I guess it does make me think a bit more, especially when the images have the word "sample" right across them
Yeah, that annoys me too. I've not been able to figure out how to get that setting switched off on my camera. I can't find anything in the manual about it.
Posted 22 June 2013
Brian_Markie
Photographer
Brian_Markie
I don't even notice what the model is wearing half the time. All I do is make sure lighting n shadows correct, Exposure is sorted and final composition of what I'm trying to achieve.
Posted 22 June 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
As I have progressed, I have found it easier to articulate why I do or do not like a picture.

Often, lack lustre pictures have common failings and demonstrate either a lack of imagination, clumsy technique or laziness to learn what their tools are capable of.

Great pictures have a lot of soul, where imperfections sometimes add to the picture and often don't distract from it, so I am far more accepting of imperfections if the work shows imagination and appeal

Posted 22 June 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
I'm another that looks at details in photographs.

I also feel I have to hold my tongue when looking at non photographers' pictures

Posted 22 June 2013
Edited by gerryquiff 22 June 2013
skphoto
Photographer
skphoto
Surely once you become aware of the technicalities you see stuff that the general public don't.

I watch films with a different eye, the most comical example being the Sharon Stone leg crossing scene in Basic Instinct, beautifully lit but most people weren't looking at the lighting!

Si

Posted 22 June 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Im a brickie to trade, hav'nt worked at it in over 15 years but still find myself always looking at the bonds and quality in brickwork, i even sometimes say to the wife, look ! thats flemmish bond ! don't see that very often up here, or look! i built that house,garage etc

Posted 22 June 2013
MG
Photographer
MG
HowardJ
Do you find that being a photographer makes you look differently at images? Personally I find myself giving them a critical look for reflections of lights, bows at odd angles on lingerie, twists in stockings, twists in knickers, fluff or lose threads on clothes, scuffs on bottom of shoes, etc. Maybe I'm just weird?
How about door hinges? Are they ok?
Posted 23 June 2013
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Yep and when it comes to the adult stuff most guys are like wow... look at her and I'm like wow look at the DOF that they have used there, that has got to be a long focal length on a wide aperture etc..
HowardJ
Do you find that being a photographer makes you look differently at images? Personally I find myself giving them a critical look for reflections of lights, bows at odd angles on lingerie, twists in stockings, twists in knickers, fluff or lose threads on clothes, scuffs on bottom of shoes, etc. Maybe I'm just weird?
Posted 23 June 2013
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Yes always on the lookout for light switch's, wall sockets, and my favourite often missed item labels in bras and pants.

Posted 23 June 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
MG
How about door hinges? Are they ok?
It depends on the circumstances. If you're having the model pose in a doorway it can be tricky to avoid showing the hinges. Maybe there's people out there with a fetish for hinges?
Posted 23 June 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Hopefully this is keeping within the topic, but from a slightly different angle. I find it so frustrating when looking at landscape photos, especially sunsets, where there's lots of contrast but the photo's perfectly exposed, and even though some mags provide shutter speeds, apertures etc. of the photo, they don't say whether it was evaluative metering or spot metering. And if the latter, which part of the scene was metered from? Seems a minor point but it really does my head in.

Posted 23 June 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
I keep wanting to Photoshop scenes on TV!

Posted 23 June 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
HowardJ

Do you find that being a photographer makes you look differently at images?

It makes me look differently at life!

I have to stop myself from commenting on women's makeup, clothes, hair etc!!! It can really disturb my photographer spidey-sense to see some out of place mascara... but in 'real life' it's often inappropriate to comment! surprise
Posted 23 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join