New DSLR - Advice Needed

New DSLR - Advice Needed

38 posts
17 June 2013
VinceM
Photographer
VinceM
Here's the deal. I'm an amateur tog. I'm not the most experienced. Mainly interested in portrature, the erotic and the nude. No real desire for a camera that can give tell me where I am or indeed one that will do an amazing job in making video.

My last camera was a Canon 40D which was stolen. Before this I had a Canon 350D.

I now find myself in the position to be able to replace my stolen camera. I'm also in the fortunate position to have some extra funds (Big sales bonus this month after working my arse off since Jan)

I don't have any existing lenses (both stolen) so I'm not tied to a particular camera make or even cropped sensor.

My budget is £1500. I'm not stupid in thinking that a better camera will make a better photographer. But I'd like to get a quality piece of kit.

So.... what would you recommend? Do I go secondhand or new? Full frame or Crop? Canon or Nikon? Do I just get a cheaper body and invest in glass?

I'm currently consiering the 7D (despite rumours it will be replaced soon), but I like the D7100 too. But then I'm tempted to look at a budget full frame like the 6D or D600... but then do I really need any of these?

Would a 60D be a better option? or the new 700D for instance? and perhaps just invest in better glass.

Ideally would like to go with prime lenses. A 50mm and an 85mm perhaps. Just think it would suit my way of working.

Any and all advice would be massively appreciated. I really do feel like I'm going around in circles....

Posted 17 June 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
My thoughts would be that full frame has a higher level of 'future proofing' than cropped sensor, and your relatively modest (wise!) lens complement of 50 ( maybe consider 35?) and 85 ideal, you should be able to get excellent used examples of lenses for £400 ish the pair. Buying used FF body, now starting to get good numbers, 5D 2's are about for around £1k, new 6D's grey, about £1100. Only quoted Canon but similar for Nikon. You could look 'outside' big 2 and look at Sony (who make Nikon's sensors), lovely Zeiss lenses but pricey and less about, therefore more expensive.

Posted 17 June 2013
Edited by magpie1 17 June 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
As a Canon owner, I think Nikon is making the running these days when it comes to quality mid range prime lenses. Canon spends too much time producing expensive exotica. The canon 85 f1.8 is good, but the rest either measure poorly, are too slow or too expensive.

I'd also consider non-SLR cameras like the Son NEX series. Sony makes the best sensors, and NEX is getting some tasty primes built for it.

Posted 17 June 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
DON'T want to start a fight, but can't quite agree about lenses, Canon 35mm f2, excellent, less than 200 used, 50 mm 1.4, always gets excellent ratings in all tests I've seen, £200-250 for mint examples.

Posted 17 June 2013
VinceM
Photographer
VinceM
Thanks for the insight Andy - I will check out the Sony (out of curiosity mainly) and have to agree with you from reading online about how nikon are doing

Magpie - I think you've probably done me a huge favour. A 5dmk2 the 1.4 50mm and 1 other sounds like it would be a good workable solution. Only concern with getting a 2nd hand mk2 is the age of the camera and condition etc. it's so hard to bloody tell when buying remotely.

Posted 17 June 2013
grahamsphotography
Photographer
grahamsphoto..

It`s the lenses that count, for £1500 you could get yourself a decent Nikon D90 and some great glass via the second hand routes.

Posted 17 June 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
magpie1

DON'T want to start a fight, but can't quite agree about lenses, Canon 35mm f2, excellent, less than 200 used, 50 mm 1.4, always gets excellent ratings in all tests I've seen, £200-250 for mint examples.

We'll have to agree to differ, magpie1.

35mm f2 has horrible bokeh wide open 

The 50mm f 1.4 is an ancient lens in desparate need of a re-hash (unlike Nikon's new 50mm). I sold mine... on my 5DII it was just too soft in the corners 'till f2.8 - and if you fast lens isn't sharp until f2.8 then what's the point? Tests back that up.

And Canon's newer mid-speed wide to normal lenses all have IS. £660 for a 28 f1.8? No thanks.
Posted 17 June 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Andy_B

We'll have to agree to differ, magpie1.

+1

I don't know what Canon are playing at but as a Canon owner I certainly wouldn't recommend them as a system to someone starting from scratch.  As you said Andy, their lenses are either desparately in need of new versions, are simply too damn expensive or utterly pointless (fish-eye zooms & IS on 'budget' wide angle lenses - WTF?!)

Even Sigma have realised this and are producing very good quality lenses to fill the gaps Canon are leaving in the market (I own two already and intend to own more - their new primes are astonishingly good)
Posted 18 June 2013
Edited by RedChecker 18 June 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
VinceM

A 5dmk2 the 1.4 50mm and 1 other sounds like it would be a good workable solution.

Canon's 50mm f1.4 isn't anything to rave over (and they break easily from what I've heard).  Sigma's 50mm f1.4 is a far superior lens IMO for not much more.
Posted 18 June 2013
scubie
Photographer
scubie
Back to normal, only two makes are ever recommended!!  There are other flavours.

Posted 18 June 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Still no bottles thrown, in some respects Canon have recently become rather the 'Toyota' of the camera world, good non exciting (are cameras and lenses required to be exciting?) I don't work for Canon either. The IS on apparently 'budget' WA lenses, do apparently work as most people are very 'optimistic' about their abilities to hand hold, and high res sensors can be cruely revealing. A sigma 85mm 1.4 I tried had a nervous breakdown and clattered and twitch focused , I got a used Canon 1.8, no problems. Nevertheless I have a couple of other Sigmas and they both required quite a lot of focus adjustment setting. I have an IR converted old 40D, Canon lenses focus ok Sigmas won't?
I know a number of wedding photographers who use the Canon 50mm 1.4 without problems.
This is not intended as an apologia for Canon, or to confuse VinceM any further!
The most important thing for getting any kit is how it works for the individual, regardless of badge.

Posted 18 June 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
magpie1

A sigma 85mm 1.4 I tried had a nervous breakdown and clattered and twitch focused , I got a used Canon 1.8, no problems. Nevertheless I have a couple of other Sigmas and they both required quite a lot of focus adjustment setting.

I have the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4 (used with my 5D, 6D and 1Ds mk2), both work perfectly and don't need any focus adjustment (not that my 5D & 1Ds have that feature).  They also appeared shaper (and obviously a damn sight cheaper) than the Canon 50mm f1.2 and 85mm f1.2 II lenses I have tested on my cameras - go figure!.
Posted 18 June 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
scubie
Back to normal, only two makes are ever recommended!!  There are other flavours.
But obviously nothing worth spending any of your precious time recommending. How do other brands get mentioned if their owners can't be arsed contributing to the discussion?
Posted 18 June 2013
Edited by Andy_B 18 June 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
scubie
I did mention Sony as alternative FF to Canon/Nikon.
Posted 18 June 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
scubie

Why do you think only two makes ever get mentioned?

The fact they (Canon & Nikon) own most of the dSLR market (80% together according to this) means that not only are they a safe bet in these hard times (yes, camera manufacturers can still go bust) but also there is a huge choice of additional equipment and third party support/products that you simply do not get with any other make.
Posted 18 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join