I need a review!

21 posts
14 June 2013
River
Model
River
Hi everyone,

I would really appriciate a portfolio review...I haven't had one in a while and I think it's time! What's good and why, whats bad and why, and what shall I do more of!
Thanks,

River
Posted 14 June 2013
peteb
Photographer
peteb
Hiya River......I have been a long time admirer of your work, but I believe your profile is beginning to look a little bit predictable. Saying that I do like the black and white boudoir shot, and think you should look at doing some more shoots along those lines Pete
Posted 14 June 2013
Edited by peteb 14 June 2013
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonke..
Hello River-

One thing that stands out for me is that there are not a huge number of recent photos. Say from 2013. Those you have added are probably not as good as those from previous years. (Except for one in B + W.) I can see why you have left the old photos that have been on for years. They're better.

Having worked with you, I know you are a fabulous model with a beautiful look and it is easy to take lovely photos of you. I will blame the photographers for not doing you justice in 2013!

Kevin

Posted 14 June 2013
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonke..
PS. IMHO The photo you have added entitled "Blue Toned" does not do you any favours. I think you should replace it.

Posted 14 June 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Very good - I would really like to work with you re: an informal shoot. You have a great, unique 'look'.

Posted 14 June 2013
SouthernSnapper
Photographer
SouthernSnap..
Would love to see some pictures with 'depth', other than that its beautiful work

Posted 14 June 2013
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
It looks good, but I prefer to see photos which are less than 6 months old, even if they are not as good as older images.

The ones which are two or three years old should be replaced with newer images.

Posted 14 June 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
For me, this is my favourite shot on your portfolio (beautiful face and lovely photograph):

This is good for showing your figure and a bit of your personality:

I'm not keen on this.  The lines on your neck are jumping out at me.  I would have had to clone them out if it was mine:

Nice photograph, but I don't think this adds anything to the portfolio:

I think you have stronger images than this:

I'm on the fence about this... It's colourful but doesn't really do much for me:

I hope that's OK.

Best regards
Paul

Posted 14 June 2013
kingnorman13NK
Photographer
kingnorman13..
You are a very attractive subject, but my reaction from scanning through your images is that there is something missing. I'm looking for an engagement with the camera so that something of your personality jumps out, which is possibly not helped by too many images of a similar kind. It all seems too 'safe'. Try some different role playing and see what happens.

My tip is to beware of the raised chin/low camera angle! To me it makes your eyes look sleepy.
My favourite shot is the jnorman portrait where you are looking straight to camera. I know you are looking at me!

NK

Posted 15 June 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Not sure you do!! Just keep doing what you are doing!!Your main page shot is stunning, but I am not sure you need two..one detracts from the other a bit IMO..keep the main one?

You have a few "duplicate" poses and may be you could just pick one. If there is a weakness it is in some of the head shots at the bottom of the page..could be thinned out may be?

And just to be contrary (known for it!), I really, really like the B&W ones Paul_Jones is less fond of!! So, can't please everybody!!

I think you have a great port, just keep adding to it and editing it down as you go to the "very best". Something I am not too good at myself because I can never make up my mind what to keep and what to go!!

Posted 15 June 2013
River
Model
River
Thanks all,

I admit I have not done as many shoots as I have wanted to do so far in 2013, and the shoots I have done have all been paid and I have not recieved any images back (fair enough!). I've been very busy with my degree, being a student nurse really doesn't leave me with much time to shoot/travel to shoot!
The main reason I asked for a review was so that when I do get a chance to shoot, I know what I need to do more of/better. I understand that a lot of my images are 'samey samey'- but I think the reason for that is that when I am booked for a shoot, it tends to be for portraiture/beauty shots (because that's what people want from me apparently). I'd love to do more full length, experimental images, but unless that's what the photographer wants, Im afraid I don't have much time to ask for TF shoots.
Thanks again for your time and words!

Posted 15 June 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Portrait and beauty really come across for you (Paul is right about those neck lines though..10 seconds in PS!!)and as I said your main image is stunning.

I guess your height works against you a little in terms of full length/fashion but need not be an issue?

I work a bit differently because I believe if you work towards producing what the model wants out of a set you have a good chance of getting results.

You can ask me for TF shoots!!!! I usually pay expenses, shoot RAW, edit every image (including all the PS stuff you can do when it suits the image) and get the pictures (all of them) back to the model within the week usually.

Look forward to hearing from you if you want to discuss some shoot ideas!!

Posted 15 June 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
OldMaster

(Paul is right about those neck lines though..10 seconds in PS!!)

Thank-you.  cheeky

Posted 15 June 2013
Ron_H
Photographer
Ron_H
Hi River,

There are a couple of exceptional photos in your profile - in particular "Boudoir" and "Vargas".
You clearly have a beautiful figure and I think you should include more photos like these to show it off.

I'm sure every photographer on here would jump at the chance to contribute in updating your profile. But remember - not every photographer that contacts you is necessarily a good photographer, so browse some photographers' profiles yourself and contact one or two that you think stand out.

Also, don't be afraid to discuss your own ideas with a photographer.

Posted 16 June 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Hi River, you are pretty, have a port that suggests your main interest is portraiture and that seems to be backed up by your paid bookings.

This is hypothetical as I am shooting mainly nudes, but photographers like me, who shoot more than one narrow theme on a day look for versatility in models. I am sure you have it, but I wonder how many look past that to see what else you could do if you don't demonstrate that yourself.

A lot of your port looks studio based, which for many can be expensive.

I have no idea if you are interested, but models who shoot sports / location / variety seem to have interest in them. For example, someone booking you for four hours on location would have a lot more possibilities to create something interesting and you would also become very affordable as hiring a studio would probably double the cost of booking you.

Just a thought - but my favourite picture of yours is probably the one "Cathedral", maybe some more like that may open up opportunities

Posted 16 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join