Added a rain maker to my studio...

Added a rain maker to my studio...

28 posts
12 June 2013
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
Just created rain for my studio and this is my first attempt (featuring the lovely pixie4 off PS).
Posted 12 June 2013
nioclik
Photographer
nioclik
Impressive
Posted 12 June 2013
markeewould
Photographer
markeewould
very!

Posted 12 June 2013
BeachView
Photographer
BeachView
Stunning effect. Amazing results considering the size of your studio, well impressed.

Posted 12 June 2013
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Impressed - can we have a few backstage pics???

Posted 12 June 2013
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
I didn't really take any back stage ones, but here are a couple of practice ones I took yesterday. I created a wooden frame and then put some garden mesh on it before cable tying a hose pipe to it in a spiral. I then drilled small holes in the hose pipe every 4 - 6 inches. The holes are facing up, to allow the water to turn to droplets.
Posted 12 June 2013
BeachView
Photographer
BeachView
Sarge

I didn't really take any back stage ones, but here are a couple of practice ones I took yesterday. I created a wooden frame and then put some garden mesh on it before cable tying a hose pipe to it in a spiral. I then drilled small holes in the hose pipe every 4 - 6 inches. The holes are facing up, to allow the water to turn to droplets.

Genius, how are you collecting and draining water on the floor? 
Posted 12 June 2013
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
Here is another from the set...
Posted 12 June 2013
nioclik
Photographer
nioclik
I have to have a go at making one!
Posted 12 June 2013
Edited by nioclik 12 June 2013
nioclik
Photographer
nioclik
BeachView
Genius, how are you collecting and draining water on the floor? 
My thoughts exactly.
Posted 12 June 2013
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Brilliant idea
Out of curiosity did you try the soaker/pourous hose - I have a length in my shed hmmmmmm

Re collecting the water I have seen paddling pools used or a piece of pond liner with 4 bits of 4 x 2 to give the sides underneath it & a submersible pump to clear the water or recirculate it.
Posted 12 June 2013
Edited by Spike 12 June 2013
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
Right, here goes...

I made a frame from planks (about 9" deep), but only fastened 2 (opposite) corners using hinges, so I could fold it up when not in use. The other 2 corners I have made it so I can adjust them to make the frame various sizes.
I also made a box for the model to stand on that goes inside the frame, so she isn't stood in water all the time and so I can show that she is sitting/laying on the floor.
I then covered the whole lot with vinyl background sheeting that I had.
Due to putting the box inside the frame and under the sheeting this meant I didn't have to use as much water as the box took up most of the space. I thought the amount I would need to use in a space 2mtr x 1.5mtr x 9" deep would have been loads and VERY heavy too.

To circulate the water I bought a pump from LIDL that cost £30. This works great and also has a tap on it too so you can turn it on and off.

I did try a soaker hose, but the holes are too small. Not only that but the holes MUST point up or the water will just come out as a spray

Since making the frame I noticed a paddling pool in Asda for a tenner which is a great size (83"x54"x18" or there abouts). BUT you wont be able to put a box inside it as you may puncture the pool.

The whole shoot was VERY wet as the water went everywhere and the model was freezing too.

Posted 12 June 2013
Edited by Sarge 12 June 2013
hi there im sure if you looked at garden centres you could find hose pipe already with the holes because they make them for flower beds
still all same the creative idea works and pics look great well done for the idea and effort you put into it

Posted 12 June 2013
shapeman
Photographer
shapeman
Works for me

Posted 12 June 2013
BeachView
Photographer
BeachView
Thank you, I might attempt to make something similar. I really want to do a rain shoot. Your pictures looks amazing. I'm hopeless with DIY so will get some help in !!

Posted 12 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join