Does the camera leave an impression?

Does the camera leave an impression?

23 posts
9 June 2013
BenwellHopper
Photographer
BenwellHoppe..
Sometimes when Im doing the TF with a model, it sometimes crops up that on some prevous shoot with another photographer, that the model was put off by their "ancient" camera, This strikes me odd as I often use cameras dating from the 1880s to the 1960s on TF shoots...Is digital old before you realise it or are we expected to change every two years to keep up apperances with this old digi marlarkey (asking because Its getting to that time of year when I should be investing in the next throwaway camera and am weary that if the model I book wont work her best, but feel that a new digi would not inspire me but inspire the model)......

Posted 9 June 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
So the model is put off by the camera type........! Book another model who isn't such a cretin. Although I use latest digi kit I would still be happy with my 1980's Blad or 1960 Rolleiflex 2.8f......what would she know and how is it her business! Good enough for Bailey and Newton but not good enough for the model!!!!

Posted 9 June 2013
BenwellHopper
Photographer
BenwellHoppe..
Just seems to effect digi cameras....Theres a universal love for filmy stuff

Posted 9 June 2013
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphoto..
BenwellHopper
Just seems to effect digi cameras....Theres a universal love for filmy stuff
Actually I have heard models being particularly suspicious of film photographers. Or rather questioning whether they actually have any film in the camera...
Posted 9 June 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
All the models I have ever worked with have only been interested in the images on the back of the screen. If they like how they are coming out, they are happy.

I wonder whether these "gear" complaints are because they don't like the images or have not been shown them so are concerned as to whether they are any good

Posted 9 June 2013
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Gerry99111
I wonder whether these "gear" complaints are because they don't like the images or have not been shown them so are concerned as to whether they are any good
Don't think you could see an image on the back of a 1980s 'Blad. Though you could put a polaroid back on it, I suppose.
Posted 10 June 2013
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
This subject always makes me smile. It happens across every walk of creative life. You should see some of the paintbrushes that I use on a regular basis - they have destroyed bristles, tape around the handles etc, but they work for the technique I'm doing right then. Doesn't stop some people pulling a face. As far as cameras go I think its actually a bit easier using an older piece of kit that isn't worth much, especially out on location. If you can concentrate on the shooting without stressing that you are going to damage an obscenely expensive piece of kit (smashing it into a rock, dangling it into mud or water etc.) then its quite liberating and helps. Also, just like the paintbrushes, people create a bond with a piece of equipment - and that often makes things work better. Hence why some people use really ancient gear they have always loved. Its not the kit that matters one jot, but the end results. As a note I never show anyone any of my images, photographic, drawing or paintings, until I'm done and happy with them. When I look at the raw image, initial sketch, or base painting I know that its just a first step on the way to the completed final, and I can visualise where its going in my head - models can't do that because they aren't in my head. I used to freeze up and stop painting even if my tutor stood and watched me at art school!
Posted 10 June 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
EdT

Don't think you could see an image on the back of a 1980s 'Blad. Though you could put a polaroid back on it, I suppose.

... and to quote Terry Donovan, "Never let the model see the Polaroid."

It's just ignorance. We photographers know that you can take a photograph with a shoe box and a pin. Most models have so little understanding of photography that they judge a photographer on having what they see as good kit. I recall a thread on another site on which a photographer told of a model who, on seeing his Hasselblad asked him if he didn't have a proper camera!
Posted 10 June 2013
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphoto..
EdT
I was just looking on eBay and saw a Pentax with zoom lens sold for £2.20. For those GWCs just wanting a perv a film camera is ideal, less costly than a DSLR and no ability for the model to see what's been taken (if anything). So far from ignorance (as suggested by another poster) an aversion to film cameras may have some sound reasoning.
Posted 10 June 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Don't most GWC have Canon cameras with cheap zoom lenses.
Most Kids with cameras at gigs (who like to bounce flash off black ceilings or the audience) have Canon cameras with nice slow zooms.

Posted 10 June 2013
paulford
Photographer
paulford
stolenfaces
Don't most GWC have Canon cameras with cheap zoom lenses. Most Kids with cameras at gigs (who like to bounce flash off black ceilings or the audience) have Canon cameras with nice slow zooms.
Posted 10 June 2013
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
It is up to the photographer to make sure that the images produced leave the right lasting impression. The end result is what matters.

Posted 10 June 2013
I love shooting with the oldies and on film
Posted 10 June 2013
Harajukufashion
Photographer
Harajukufash..
I've actually found the opposite. The models I shoot with love it when I suggest we experiment with an old Polaroid, lomo, film cameras or even my iphone. What they dislike is photographers banging on about how they only use 'professional equipment', spending ages fiddling about with it and then producing crappy or unimaginative results. When I shoot digital I send the images by wireless to my iPad, allow the model to star rate them after the shoot and never bore them to death talking about the technology that makes this possible
Posted 11 June 2013
katiesoze
Photographer
katiesoze
It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.

Posted 11 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join