Hogging the middle lane on the M1

Hogging the middle lane on the M1

75 posts
5 June 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
I understand that police will soon have the power to give on the spot fines and 3 points for people who hog the middle lane.

I have never under-stood this to be honest - what I mean is this,

The M1 has a 70 mile speed limit. That is the law. If you exceed this then you are acting illegally I believe.

So if I am doing 70 in the middle lane, over-taking lorries doing 60 etc, then what am I doing wrong just staying there ?  Surely nothing should catch up with me as then the other vehicle would be doing over 70 and acting illegally ?

I hope that this makes sense and I genuinely believe that I must be missing some-thing so please educate me.

Jonathan.

Posted 5 June 2013
Webbo2
Photographer
Webbo2
SandyCamel

So if I am doing 70 in the middle lane, over-taking lorries doing 60 etc, then what am I doing wrong just staying there ?  Surely nothing should catch up with me as then the other vehicle would be doing over 70 and acting illegally ?

I hope that this makes sense and I genuinely believe that I must be missing some-thing so please educate me.

Jonathan.

I, like many others, do not stick to 70mph, I'll admit that straight away. I think the issue for me personally is that when there is no traffic in the left lane other than myself, and I catch up to a 70mph driver in the middle lane then it means that I have to cross two lanes of traffic to overtake rather than one had they just moved over to the left lane. For some reason I see driving at 80mph as acceptable yet undertaking morally wrong 
Posted 5 June 2013
Edited by Webbo2 5 June 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Webbo2

I, like many others, do not stick to 70mph, I'll admit that straight away. I think the issue for me personally is that when there is no traffic in the left lane other than myself, and I catch up to a 70mph driver in the middle lane then it means that I have to cross two lanes of traffic to overtake rather than one had they just moved over to the left lane. For some reason I see driving at 80mph as acceptable yet undertaking morally wrong 

Fair comment - I am in a minority sticking to the speed limit to be honest - it is so obvious when I am on the M1 - and I feel like an anoyance to other drivers for doing so 

Posted 5 June 2013
Webbo2
Photographer
Webbo2
SandyCamel

Fair comment - I am in a minority sticking to the speed limit to be honest - it is so obvious when I am on the M1 - and I feel like an anoyance to other drivers for doing so 

I don't see others driving at the speed limit as an annoyance at all, because for most part they are in the left lane and have no effect on my travels. The real annoyances for me are the 100mph right lane drivers who are completely comfortable 5ft from my rear bumper should I be in 'their' lane overtaking.
Posted 5 June 2013
silverk
Photographer
silverk
SandyCamel
I understand that police will soon have the power to give on the spot fines and 3 points for people who hog the middle lane. I have never under-stood this to be honest - what I mean is this, The M1 has a 70 mile speed limit. That is the law. If you exceed this then you are acting illegally I believe. So if I am doing 70 in the middle lane, over-taking lorries doing 60 etc, then what am I doing wrong just staying there ?  Surely nothing should catch up with me as then the other vehicle would be doing over 70 and acting illegally ? I hope that this makes sense and I genuinely believe that I must be missing some-thing so please educate me. Jonathan.
Pretty sure that assuming you have actually passed a driving test,it states in the highway code that when driving always keep to the left lane unless overtaking (or words to that effect).
Posted 5 June 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
silverk

Pretty sure that assuming you have actually passed a driving test,it states in the highway code that when driving always keep to the left lane unless overtaking (or words to that effect).

Oh, I see, so the idea is that you can do a maximum of 70 mph AND when appropropriate you must stay in the left hand lane.

That makes perfect sense - thank you.

Another happy ending 

ps: yes I have passed my test and never had any points etc for poor driving over very many years.

Sincerely thank you though - this has puzzled me for years and now I under-stand.

Posted 5 June 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
if only other drivers under-stood this lol

Posted 5 June 2013
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
I regularly travel up and down the motorways, so over the last few months that would be the M3, M4, M40, M25, M6, M1 & the M54.

Now on the M40 if I travel at a constant 70 or 75MPH to keep fuel consumption at a reasonable level, the ****ing bastards on their ****ing 4BY4's fly past me at 90+ then you get the inconsiderate ****ers keeping to the middle lane at 60MPH.

I have experienced these twats on all motorways and no amount of flashing or gesticulating with fingers will move the armholes from the 2nd lane, although the 1st lane is empty.

Oh by the way, what the hell is doing 90MPH on the 3rd lane when the 1st and all the 2nd lane is empty.

Just shoot the ****ers.

Posted 5 June 2013
mantisphoto
Photographer
mantisphoto
what really annoys me more than hogging the middle lane is HGV's trying to overtake other HGV's at 56mph on a hill... they need about 10 miles on order to do so and cause massive congestion... GRRRR
Posted 5 June 2013
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
mantisphoto

what really annoys me more than hogging the middle lane is HGV's trying to overtake other HGV's at 56mph on a hill... they need about 10 miles on order to do so and cause massive congestion... GRRRR

ha ha ! I could write a book about what other drivers do to annoy me lol !

I make mistakes some-times though and feel so ashamed   

Posted 5 June 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
mantisphoto

Don't let the 56mph sticker make you think they all stick to 56mph.   I've travelled in several HGVs recently that were capabale of 70mph. The drivers believe the risk of their tacho cards being inspected are very low 
Posted 5 June 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
mantisphoto

Not so much annoying as scary is travelling on an unrestricted section of an autobahn and seeing a lorry pull out to overtake another lorry when you are at the limit of your thinking/braking/stopping distance! In Germany (and some other countries) there is a law which states that lorries can't overtake cars during daylight but they can still overtake other lorries, with some pretty nasty results.

Posted 6 June 2013
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
SandyCamel

I understand that police will soon have the power to give on the spot fines and 3 points for people who hog the middle lane.

I have never under-stood this to be honest - what I mean is this,

The M1 has a 70 mile speed limit. That is the law. If you exceed this then you are acting illegally I believe.

Jonathan.

You're not a traffic cop, it's not your job to stop people behindyou exceeding teh speed limit.  You are also acting illegally if you don't return to the left hand lane when you've finished overtaking.
Posted 6 June 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
But - and it is a big but. How far from the next vehicle in the inside lane must you be before you are entitled to stay in the middle lane to overtake them?

Because one thing I can promise you. If every driver swung into the left hand lane at every opportunity and then pulled out again when he caught up a slow moving vehicle it would be absolute bloody chaos!

If the motorway is busy, staying in the middle - obviously at an appropriate speed - is probably a lot safer than changing lanes every 10 seconds. When do most accidents happen? When changing lanes!

Don't get me wrong. If it's sensible to move over I do. But if I am driving at the speed limit (or what passes for the speed limit!) it is extremely easy to find yourself in the position of catching someone up with a 30 mph differential - and finding a guy outside you travelling 0.7 mph more than you, forcing you to brake.

It is not as simple as it sounds.
Posted 6 June 2013
Edited by mph 6 June 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
click_gotcha
You're not a traffic cop, it's not your job to stop people behindyou exceeding teh speed limit.  You are also acting illegally if you don't return to the left hand lane when you've finished overtaking.
Whilst this works on French Motorways, because they are relatively empty, if you are doing 70 on most English motorways during the day you are continuously overtaking. Changing lanes is also pretty much the most dangerous part of motorway driving.
Posted 6 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join