Some questions

17 posts
30 May 2013
nuiloa
Model
nuiloa
I will be competing in two beauty pageants for which I am a finalist. However, I haven't had any luck getting agency signed. I changed my hair colour to appeal to a commercial/lifestyle market and am feeling a bit discouraged. I realise I am older than many models and just wondering if there might be something else I can do to stand out?

Posted 30 May 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
Ask the agencies why they turned you down, then fix it?

You look like you started very recently. Ask yourself: why would an agency sign me? This is a question few people are brave and honest enough to answer.

Posted 30 May 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Date a footballer or pop star?

or more seriously think about what agencies and types of work you're applying for and maybe accept that not everyone is cut out to be a model signed to an agency. It doesn't mean you can't make money as a model. Just maybe that you can't do it fulltime.

Life goes on....

Posted 30 May 2013
nuiloa
Model
nuiloa
Thanks to both of you.

I am trying to apply to Lifestyle/Commercial (not fashion!) so am trying to change my look/port to match. I wasn't sure if it was acceptable to ask the agencies why, as they are often very busy places that probably wouldn't have time to do that.

I'm really only looking for part-time. I am a dancer and will need to retire soon so I felt that modeling was a logical next step. Of course, it could just be that I'm not what they are looking for.

Posted 30 May 2013
Edited by nuiloa 30 May 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
No offense, but I utterly fail to see why modelling is the "next logical step" to dancing.

Posted 30 May 2013
nuiloa
Model
nuiloa
Dancers spend a great deal of their time being photographed, and in some fields cannot remain dancers forever (ballet, for example). Staying in the visual arts while using similar things - line, form, etc. That is why.

Posted 30 May 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I can see it as a logical step. Modelling is often about body shapes and acting to an extent. Dancing requires similar attributes. Makes sense to me.

Posted 30 May 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
HowardJ
I can see it as a logical step. Modelling is often about body shapes and acting to an extent. Dancing requires similar attributes. Makes sense to me.
I dunno, it seemed kinda insulting to me. "I'm done dancing, lets do this now". A little disparaging to the models, like it's a second hand kinda thing to do when you need something else. Ah well, your call, your business.
Posted 30 May 2013
nuiloa
Model
nuiloa
I am sorry you feel that way. That's not how I feel about it at all.

You may be surprised at the number of dancers who are also models, or models who are former dancers.

I would like to return to the original topic, if anyone else would like to weigh in.

Posted 30 May 2013
Edited by nuiloa 30 May 2013
I don't think there is even much of a market in Scotland for fashion models so it might be a better idea to give up on the agencies unless you are wanting to move down to London and try your luck there - although they may just say the same thing.

Lets face it even most of the decent agency models up here do little more than TF with the hobbiest photographers and I would bet money on most of them earning much much less than any of the decent internet models currently based in Scotland. There just isn't a market for it in Scotland, so no matter what you look like I'm guessing it wont be much of a "money maker" being based where you are.

When I think of commercial models = especially those who are 30+ I always see the typical "mumsie" look (you know the one which very few actual mothers look like) - beautiful skin, great face, beautiful untired looking eyes, perfect white teeth, awesome conditioned hair and somebody with a very very naturally beautiful look. You may have all of these things but I'm guessing if you have been unsuccessful then you aren't what they are looking for. You can change hair and lots of other things but if you aren't "it" then you may never be "it" for them.

I think I tried to join an agency once, years ago.. I didn't get accepted but I just moved on - as I mentioned before - there is very little work up here for agency models, there are so many new faces around that end up going no further than being a "new face". Its quite sad really, its difficult going into modelling at any age but gets more difficult the older one gets.

Maybe just keep going with it as a hobby - perhaps teach dance to students to make some extra money instead? Modelling is fun but based in Scotland its defiantly not an easy way to make money without having a niche. I was lucky to have started years ago and found my "thing" early on, and thankfully I'm still booked for a couple of shoots a week but if I was starting out now I honestly think with all the competition I would struggle to make any money at all. I don't make enough to completely live off and I do nudes which is *thankfully* somewhat in demand.

I know its not nice to hear all the negatives but you could chase the pipedream for years and waste so much valuable time in doing so.

Posted 30 May 2013
nuiloa
Model
nuiloa
Hi Chrissie,

Thanks for your post. I read a lot of your advice for models here and around the web and it is always very thoughtful and kind. I hope to run into you one day around and about.

I'm fine with not being what they're looking for, just thought I'd try a few avenues. Unfortunately I will need to retire from dance as anything more than a hobby quite soon. I really enjoy modeling so was hoping to see if it would go somewhere for me.

I'll try a few more things before giving up. I'm also not against moving but I think my next move may be outwith the UK if I do.

Posted 30 May 2013
nuiloa

Hi Chrissie, Thanks for your post. I read a lot of your advice for models here and around the web and it is always very thoughtful and kind. I hope to run into you one day around and about. I'm fine with not being what they're looking for, just thought I'd try a few avenues. Unfortunately I will need to retire from dance as anything more than a hobby quite soon. I really enjoy modeling so was hoping to see if it would go somewhere for me. I'll try a few more things before giving up. I'm also not against moving but I think my next move may be outwith the UK if I do.

Thank you

Maybe you could try looking into the London commercial agencies and spending a few days popping in to see some of them, make it some sort of "last attempt" before retiring the agency thing. What about having fitness classes which encorporate dance in some form? Thats fairly popular with people looking to get fit. I'm sure with the thinking hat on you could do something a little original/different from what other classes currently offer. I'm just chucking ideas out there! 

Let us know how you get on if you do go down to the big smoke

Posted 30 May 2013
Honesty
Model
Honesty

Let's see if I have anything useful in my head....

I used to be agency signed, can't say I really found it to be a spectacular advantage to be honest. Its stressful and people are uber demanding as well as there being no particular guarantee of work. And I spent ages and mmiles walking around with my book back in the day. If you're in their offices you're a lot harder to refuse an audience.

From your pics you look alternative like me. You could try those agencies (dark arts etc) For lifestyle I'd advise doing a few tf/stock footage shoots and submit the results. So things with living room sets, out in cafés, walking a dog etc. Tv extra work could be a start. Just sign up somewhere and see what comes along. Can get a bit weird tho I wanted to do kooky nerdy goth and ended up in Robinson Crusoe. Lol at least Im not type cast.

I guess the main thing is not to give up. Modelling is hard work and all models have to push all the time to get themselves noticed and keep themselves on the radar. Its also tough on the old self esteem when you get knocked back. Something all the advice in the world cant prepare you for.

Good luck sweetie

Posted 31 May 2013
nuiloa
Model
nuiloa
Hi Honesty, Thanks for your message. Now that you mention it, perhaps I should just accept that I am more alternative than anything - if I am going to fit into a niche. I always figured I wasn't quite odd *enough* for that genre (and also being over 30 wasn't sure if the same age rules applied as with other modeling work). I might specifically look for photographers with a lot of experience shooting lifestyle and see if that helps, but perhaps alternative would be the way to go. Chrissie - you may have something there, perhaps I could try visiting places in person. It sounds like both of you would recommend that, at least. I'm not the type to give up so I am going to continue to work on it.
Posted 1 June 2013
Honesty
Model
Honesty

Actually one of my friends is signed with spirited models, I'll give her a bell and see if they've any spaces up for grabs. I've no idea if the agency is any good because she's "dreamy pagan" and I usually get the "fetish/satanic" so I've not checked it out. But... dreamy pagan could work for you. Anyway there's no reason you can't do both if you can twist your look around both, which shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll PM you.

Posted 1 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join