Recommended photography books?

Recommended photography books?

15 posts
19 May 2013
A friend of mine wants to get into landscape photography. I know I could just look at Amazon reviews but does anyone have any recommendations of books they've personally found really good?

Posted 19 May 2013
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Hi,

This may not be quite what you had in mind but its worth a look:

Looking at Ansel Adams: The Photographs and the Man [Hardcover]
Andrea Gray Stillman (Author)

Dave

Posted 19 May 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Depends whether the books are to inspire or teach.

Most general digital photography books are pretty OK at teaching you the basics you need to know and most text books that are specifically tailoured to landscapes are pretty dull and tend to over complicate.

I would recommend picking up all the tecniques from various different sources and maybe going on a 1 day course with someone who knows what they are doing and then collect works / books of inspirational work to aspire to.

I have the first five Landscape Photographer of the Year books - once the basics are understood, it is far better in my view to look at inspirational work and look at composition, use of light and time of day / year to get the "feel".

I have personally found these two pretty inspirational, particularly as they give you an insight into how they create their work
- Full Frame - David Noton
- Lake District - Alastair Lee

Posted 19 May 2013
PaulGooddy
Photographer
PaulGooddy
Not specifically landscape but very useful

Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure

Posted 19 May 2013
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
Alot of Landscape books are very dull and badly writtten by naff photographers. Rather than be bored stupid looking at dull sunset photos, it would probably be best to get a book that covers loads of amazing photographers.
I own both of these books and they are great, especially the second one which includes loads of amazing landscape photographers like Ansel Adams, William Eggleston, and Andreas Gursky. cheeky

Genius of Photography - Gerry Badger

A-Z Photographers

Posted 19 May 2013
Edited by tomhl 19 May 2013
DCox
Photographer
DCox
PaulGooddy

Not specifically landscape but very useful Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure

His book on composition too......it has lots about composition in landscape
Posted 19 May 2013
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Joe Cornish
Charlie Waite

Posted 19 May 2013
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Photoimager
Joe Cornish Charlie Waite
+ David Noton 3 very good landscape photographers
Posted 19 May 2013
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Ansel Adams:
- Examples: The Making Of 40 Photographs
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Examples-Making-40-Photographs-Forty/dp/082121750X/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369000845&sr=1-12&keywords=ansel+adams

- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yosemite-Range-Light-Ansel-Adams/dp/082121523X/ref=sr_1_30?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369000867&sr=1-30&keywords=ansel+adams

Salgado:

- Genesis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genesis-Sebastiao-Salgado/dp/3836538725/ref=pd_sim_b_20

Galen Rowell:
- Mountain Light
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Light-Search-Dynamic-Landscape/dp/0871563673/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369001058&sr=1-4&keywords=galen+rowell

- look for them used.

Posted 19 May 2013
epsmith
Photographer
epsmith
the photographers eye - by michael freeman

Posted 19 May 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Landscape photography isn't particularly challenging in technical terms, the difficulty is actually getting out there and shooting it, and being in the right place at the right time (with a tripod).  As mentioned, Michael Freeman's books are good as he gives an insight into composition and I've also found Lee Frost's books fairly informative in the past, they both have quite a wide range of books covering all subjects IIRC.

Lee Filters have two interesting books called Inspiring Professionals and Inspiring Professionals 2, both of which give a breakdown of how the images were put together, especially interesting are the diagrams explaining how their filters were used to enhance the sky etc.  Both books can be previewed and you can clearly see the diagrams and how useful they are.
Posted 20 May 2013
Edited by RedChecker 20 May 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
I guess understanding "photography" first may be a benefit and for that Michael Langfords "Basic Photography" is a bible!

It has been in print for decades with up dated versions post his death to include digital as well. It remains a seminal work and I recommended it to all my students who found it invaluable.

Posted 20 May 2013
Blimey, this has given me a lot to think about guys. A lot of these are v expensive new, blimey. I was thinking more of a how-to not just a picture book but something with insight or a guide as to how they did it. Got about 20 tabs open now so will get looking
Posted 20 May 2013
Ash_G
Photographer
Ash_G
Fran Halsall: Light & Shadow The Art of Landscape Photography (pub. price £16.99) is a great book by a great British photographer.

Posted 20 May 2013
ChazPhotos
Photographer
ChazPhotos
For book on photography there is one person I would say will cover just about everything in a way that makes seance, its Michael Freeman ones to look for might be to start with are 'The Photographers eye' and 'The Photographers Mind' both worth a read by anyone into photography. Don't for get to look up all his books.

Posted 19 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join