IE8 problem...help!

IE8 problem...help!

14 posts
12 May 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
I've had this problem for quite a while and it does my head in!... By the way, I'm running IE 8 with Windows 7.

When I do a search in Google et al, after I've clicked on the link I want in the SERP's and go to the web site... when I back click to go back to the search results page, it will not work and the only way I can get out of the site is to frantically double-click rapidly and then once more but it can take several attampts to get it just right and it gets really frustrating.

I've spent hours trying to find a 'settings' cure on the computer and also searched for a solution online and while there's plenty of mention of the problem, no one seems to have a fix. If I remember correctly, there was a setting for this in Windows XP but I just can't find it in Windows 7.

Has anybody got any ideas for a fix? I'd be exceedingly grateful if you have!frown
Posted 12 May 2013
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
I only encountered this problem about a month ago Tony. I eventually cured it by doing a system restore. It also seemed to cure the problems I had with 'long-running scripts' which had appeared around the same time as the 'back button' issue.

Posted 12 May 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Use Firefox?
Posted 12 May 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
SMILESPHOTO

I only encountered this problem about a month ago Tony. I eventually cured it by doing a system restore. It also seemed to cure the problems I had with 'long-running scripts' which had appeared around the same time as the 'back button' issue.

It's been quite a while since I first encountered the problem Rich and I don't think my restore point dates go back far enough to sort out the problem...also it would mean installing quite a bit of software etc.
I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably have to re-install IE 8 which should cure the problem but I just wondered if there was a simple fix before I go down that route.
Posted 12 May 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
mph

Use Firefox?

I might have too!

Posted 12 May 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
I think Google actually sends you to an interim link when you click on a result, and then on to your destination page. Visiting the interim link allows them to log your choice, whereas letting you leave their page directly may not. So when you click back, you're potentially returning to a page whose job it is just to forward you again. You have to be speedy on the double-clicks to rewind back through that to your result set.

As a work around, I usually centre-click the links to have them open in a separate tab. Then I can go and read each resultant page, and I never need to go back to Google.

Posted 12 May 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
Andy_B

I think Google actually sends you to an interim link when you click on a result, and then on to your destination page. Visiting the interim link allows them to log your choice, whereas letting you leave their page directly may not. So when you click back, you're potentially returning to a page whose job it is just to forward you again. You have to be speedy on the double-clicks to rewind back through that to your result set. As a work around, I usually centre-click the links to have them open in a separate tab. Then I can go and read each resultant page, and I never need to go back to Google.

Thanks Andy... I've just tried it and it could be a solution!

Posted 12 May 2013
digimarx
Photographer
digimarx
Still on IE8? There is IE10 now

Posted 22 June 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
digimarx

Still on IE8? There is IE10 now

Yup...that's me...very slow to update

Has IE10 improved on IE8 ?

Posted 22 June 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
tonycsm

Yup...that's me...very slow to update

Has IE10 improved on IE8 ?

I find IE10 very frustrating with broken links, apparently one of those 'known issues', and frequently end up using Firefox as a work around.

Posted 22 June 2013
EdT
Photographer
EdT
I use IE10, but I don't really see it as offering much over IE8.

Posted 23 June 2013
digimarx
Photographer
digimarx
tonycsm
Yup...that's me...very slow to update Has IE10 improved on IE8 ?
In ways of speed and improved CSS3 compatibility, yes, but there are still kinks in the works. Though no browser is 100% perfect
Posted 30 June 2013
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhoto..
Some pages "lock you in" so you cannot backtrack no matter how hard you try. Is it happening all the time or just periodically? Cannot remember how many pages you have to drift through before you are presented with a list view when you hover over the back-button. Not sure if there is a setting for that.

Posted 30 June 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
I've solved my problems.... I bit the bullet and downloaded Google Chrome and I've had no problems since!

With IE 8 I was getting problems opening many of the other forums I visit - with Chrome it does the job with no probs!

Posted 11 July 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join