Prints

14 posts
5 May 2013
Hi All, I've just been offered an interview with an agency, so I really need to get a physical portfolio together. Can anyone recommend a decent place online for prints? I'm currently looking at photobox and the like, but I'm not sure if they will be good enough. Thank you
Posted 5 May 2013
Paulie10
Photographer
Paulie10
Photobox have all the top imaging equipment the expensive companies have .... I use them up to 30 x 45 prints for exhibitions and also the larger canvas's ... I always recommend to my clients when only supplying images .... They are quick too and eager to sort out any problems you may have .... Blimey, sounds like I should work for their marketing dept (which I don't ... I just think they are good Catherine)

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted 5 May 2013
Awesome, thanks Paul, I'll stick with what I know then
Posted 5 May 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
I'd happily recommend Loxley Colour

http://www.loxleycolour.com/
Posted 5 May 2013
Thanks Gerry I'll take a look
Posted 6 May 2013
canoncan
Photographer
canoncan
Dscl photo
I have used them many times
And a very quick delivery
Good luck with the agency

Posted 6 May 2013
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
The bigger issue is likely to be how ready for printing your files are. There are many good print labs which you can send the image files to through an online system. However, if your image files are not sized to their requirements and converted to the appropriate colour space / profile then you might not get what you expect. One lab I use has a requirement for 402 ppi, another is 300 ppi and another is 254 ppi. Send any one of them a file which does not have the right pixel dimensions for the size you order and your print will be compromised.

ProAm imaging are quick, cheap and print images for people who do well in photo salon competitions.
Peak Imaging
DS Colour Labs ( as above )
SIMM
Loxley ( as above )
Colourworld
I can easily go on ........

Posted 6 May 2013
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
Loxley and DSCL are both very good. DSCL is easy to use and the turn around is very quick.

The boring bit is this: with any of them, its best to know what you are sending in terms of colour space and dpi. You can find this out by looking at the metadata of your pictures and you can change it in Photoshop or a similar editing program quite easily.

For instance, a dpi of at least 300 is good for larger prints and most can handle sRGB.

So, if you right click (on a PC) on the picture and look at Properties/Details, all will be revealed!

Posted 6 May 2013
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
w4pictures
........ a dpi of at least 300 is good for larger prints.......

It is ppi not dpi ( pixels per inch / dots per inch ).

As I stated above, you need to size them according to what the lab requires if you are to be sure of getting what you expect. For really large prints the required ppi can actually decrease, not increase. It is assumed that the viewing distance will be increased for a large print.

Posted 7 May 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
For price, service and quality, Pro-am labs. On line up load with their profile to get exacty the colours you sent them. Fuji Crystal Archive paper and £1.25 for an 18"x12", you can't go wrong!

Posted 7 May 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Yes, for pro-am it is 402 ppi....

Posted 7 May 2013
Thanks all, I've sent some off to photobox to see how they look. If they are good I'll send some more off, if not I'll try somewhere else. They gave me a green smiley face to say that they were the right size for the size I of print I wanted (some of them weren't the right shape or big enough). So if they come out badly, I will have no hesitation in sending them back!
Posted 7 May 2013
rod_m99
Photographer
rod_m99
Paulie10
Photobox have all the top imaging equipment the expensive companies have .... I use them up to 30 x 45 prints for exhibitions and also the larger canvas's ... I always recommend to my clients when only supplying images .... They are quick too and eager to sort out any problems you may have .... Blimey, sounds like I should work for their marketing dept (which I don't ... I just think they are good Catherine) Best wishes, Paul
I reckon they're pretty good, and very efficient.
Posted 7 May 2013
rod_m99
Photographer
rod_m99
Paulie10
Photobox have all the top imaging equipment the expensive companies have .... I use them up to 30 x 45 prints for exhibitions and also the larger canvas's ... I always recommend to my clients when only supplying images .... They are quick too and eager to sort out any problems you may have .... Blimey, sounds like I should work for their marketing dept (which I don't ... I just think they are good Catherine) Best wishes, Paul
I reckon they're pretty good, and very efficient.
Posted 7 May 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join