Recompense

22 posts
2 May 2013
jonnar42
Photographer
jonnar42
I recently booked a model through Purestorm making clear I was renting a studio especially for the shoot, as well as paying her full fee. She cancelled with one hours notice of "personal reasons", leaving me to pay for a four hour studio hire. I have asked her to do a tf shoot as recompense, with me again paying for the studio, which she seems reluctant to do. Am I being unreasonable? I really would appreciate feedback from togs & models. Thanks

Posted 2 May 2013
Edited by jonnar42 2 May 2013
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
Not so much 'unreasonable' as unrealistic. Try self-flagellation; it's cheaper. Leave appropriate feedback; then book a real model and enjoy a productive shoot
Posted 3 May 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
If she failed to show for a paid shoot, what are the chances of her turning up to a "recompense" shoot. All that would guarantee is another no show to add to the first - particularly with a further studio liability.

Leave the feedback in accordance with the site rules and move on

Posted 3 May 2013
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Small claims court?

Ask for the studio hire fee.

Posted 3 May 2013
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
I'd be amazed if she turned up for the TF shoot.

Posted 3 May 2013
jonnar42

I recently booked a model through Purestorm making clear I was renting a studio especially for the shoot, as well as paying her full fee. She cancelled with one hours notice of "personal reasons", leaving me to pay for a four hour studio hire. I have asked her to do a tf shoot as recompense, with me again paying for the studio, which she seems reluctant to do. Am I being unreasonable? I really would appreciate feedback from togs & models. Thanks

Did she seem genuinely apologetic for letting you down or was it more like a rushed "sorry something has come up, personal reasons can't come today"  Either way its pretty crap she left you in that situation and I have to admit if I let somebody down that badly and they had lost money due to me I would have no problems at all in making it up in modelling time or paying the studio fees and I imagine most models who value their reputation would also be only to happy to "sort out" the mess they got themselves into. 

Give it a week or so, if she says no and makes no effort at all to sort something out then I would leave a negative reference on her page and mark her down on the "will not shoot with" list. If her name comes up in a conversation with other photographers I would make them aware of her behaviour with you. Also as Hugh said I would attempt to take her to the small claims court so you can get your money back. If more photographers actually went through with this practice after being financially let down I imagine there would be less "time waster/wannabe" models kicking around saying they are professional when they are anything but.

Either way good luck!

Posted 3 May 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
jonnar42

I have asked her to do a tf shoot as recompense,

Unfortunately the above is doomed psychology.

Posted 3 May 2013
hhoa
Photographer
hhoa
To be honest I would be afraid of her doing another no show. A no show (an hour beforehand), a 4 hours studio fee and no compensation would make me want to move on and forget about her.
Otherwise to answer your question: I don't think your request is unreasonable.

Posted 3 May 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
As others have suggested you are being a little over optimistic about this persons attitude. If they had any genuine sense of responsibility and concern for their reputation, one would have reasonable expectations that they would have made the offer of a compensatory shoot to you!
I think, if you have good records of the arrangements made and the payment to the studio then it would be entirely reasonable to make a small claims application.

Posted 3 May 2013
MightyWhite
Photographer
MightyWhite
Chrissie_Red

Also as Hugh said I would attempt to take her to the small claims court so you can get your money back. If more photographers actually went through with this practice after being financially let down I imagine there would be less "time waster/wannabe" models kicking around saying they are professional when they are anything but.

Either way good luck!

But realistically how does he do that? He probably won't have her address and, if she is smart she won't be using her real name on here, so he won't have that either.  

It is is frequently suggested to photographers (and models) who have lost money because the other party has cancelled at the last minute, that they should be taken to court - but I have never heard of anyone successfully doing so in a case like this.

I had a 'No Show' last year. A model I had worked with before - sent me a text an hour after we should have started (and after 3 or 4 phone calls from me saying where are you) to say she was at the hospital with a family member who'd been rushed in the previous night. I'd spent money on a location which she said she'd repay but of course never did. Did I believe her - No, but there was nothing I could do. As I'd worked with her before I knew her real name, but not her address.  I left a negative reference for her (as we are also always told we should - but which often causes more hassle than it's worth) but shortly afterwards she stopped logging in to the site. People who do this sort of thing really don't care and they know that there is nothing you can do. 
Posted 3 May 2013
Edited by MightyWhite 3 May 2013
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
It's not usually that difficult to trace someone nowdays. I don't consider a shoot confirmed without a mobile number at least. Maybe send the court summons recorded delivery c/o Purestorm if you really couldn't find the address.
Posted 3 May 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Hugh
It's not usually that difficult to trace someone nowdays. I don't consider a shoot confirmed without a mobile number at least. Maybe send the court summons recorded delivery c/o Purestorm if you really couldn't find the address.
You think there's someone at Purestorm stupid enough to sign for it ? If the actual person doesn't sign for it there's no proof that the summons has been served on the respondent. People are easy to trace if you're prepared to pay, but it's pretty stupid to throw more money away. So are you saying that you have actually taken someone who let you down to court ? Or are you just talking the talk like the rest of the 'take them to court' brigade ?
Posted 4 May 2013
MightyWhite

But realistically how does he do that? He probably won't have her address and, if she is smart she won't be using her real name on here, so he won't have that either.  

It is is frequently suggested to photographers (and models) who have lost money because the other party has cancelled at the last minute, that they should be taken to court - but I have never heard of anyone successfully doing so in a case like this.

I had a 'No Show' last year. A model I had worked with before - sent me a text an hour after we should have started (and after 3 or 4 phone calls from me saying where are you) to say she was at the hospital with a family member who'd been rushed in the previous night. I'd spent money on a location which she said she'd repay but of course never did. Did I believe her - No, but there was nothing I could do. As I'd worked with her before I knew her real name, but not her address.  I left a negative reference for her (as we are also always told we should - but which often causes more hassle than it's worth) but shortly afterwards she stopped logging in to the site. People who do this sort of thing really don't care and they know that there is nothing you can do. 

I have heard of 1 case where a photographer took a model to court - and he got back his expenses.
If photographers stick to working with models who have reputations to loose then they might stand a better chance of being compensated in some way if they are let down at the last minute. 
Posted 4 May 2013
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
stolenfaces
You think there's someone at Purestorm stupid enough to sign for it ? If the actual person doesn't sign for it there's no proof that the summons has been served on the respondent. People are easy to trace if you're prepared to pay, but it's pretty stupid to throw more money away. So are you saying that you have actually taken someone who let you down to court ? Or are you just talking the talk like the rest of the 'take them to court' brigade ?
I've never had a model let me down. Maybe I'm good at picking who I want to work with. I've been up against a multimillionaire in the high court, and he lost. Spent three years stopping his overhead powerline going through the valley I lived in. Might have lost my house if he'd won. Does that count?
Posted 4 May 2013
Edited by Hugh 3 May 2013
MightyWhite
Photographer
MightyWhite
Chrissie_Red

I have heard of 1 case where a photographer took a model to court - and he got back his expenses.

I'd like to know the full details before commenting, but I'd hazard a guess it wasn't a case of him being compensated for a few hours studio time with an internet model whose real name he wasn't even sure of. 

Chrissie_Red

If photographers stick to working with models who have reputations to loose then they might stand a better chance of being compensated in some way if they are let down at the last minute. 

Agreed. But sometimes it's nice to work with someone who is new and excited by it all. And of course, if all photographers only worked with 'proper' established models, new girls would never get a chance to establish themselves and prove that they are reliable etc. I'm sure you were there once. 
Posted 4 May 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join