Hugh
Just got one - shooting Canon.

Bloody hell, it's good.
No focus problems either.

Posted 1 May 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker

I'm very pleased with mine and so glad I bought it over the f1.2  (to which I think the Sigma is actually superior, certainly in terms of sharpness)

The 85 is also very good.  Chances are I'll be getting their 35 as well.
Posted 1 May 2013
Edited by RedChecker 1 May 2013
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Very pleased with the lens: Bought it because you'd said how good it was.
Posted 1 May 2013
Edited by Hugh 1 May 2013
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
This lens is well regarded by users on fredmiranda.com. It was also part of a comparision review with the Canon 1.4 in a mag a few months back, this being a much older lens (and a lot cheaper).... it was also highly rated. The real prize (it would seem from reviews) is the Sigma 85 1.4.....for those that can afford it!!
Posted 2 May 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
anthonyh

This lens is well regarded by users on fredmiranda.com. It was also part of a comparision review with the Canon 1.4 in a mag a few months back, this being a much older lens (and a lot cheaper)

The Canon is not a LOT cheaper, the 'real' prices come in at £279 for the Canon vs £359 for the Sigma (Warehouseexpress.com), although if the review go by the list prices (or launch price of the Sigma) then yes, there's a decent discrepancy but that does not hold any relation to prices you can get them for.  Bear in mind the Sigma also comes with a hood which for the Canon would add £23.99.

The better comparison for the Sigma IMO would be against Canon's 50mm f1.2 but at £1169 they're having a laugh.
Posted 2 May 2013
Edited by RedChecker 2 May 2013
markeewould
Photographer
markeewould
any recommends on where to get one from re price etc ??

Posted 2 May 2013
pygar1
Photographer
pygar1
RedChecker
The Canon is not a LOT cheaper, the 'real' prices come in at £279 for the Canon vs £359 for the Sigma (Warehouseexpress.com), although if the review go by the list prices (or launch price of the Sigma) then yes, there's a decent discrepancy but that does not hold any relation to prices you can get them for.  Bear in mind the Sigma also comes with a hood which for the Canon would add £23.99. The better comparison for the Sigma IMO would be against Canon's 50mm f1.2 but at £1169 they're having a laugh.
Are you not comparing the canon 85mm 1.8 price here with the Sigma 50mm 1.4? The canon 50mm 1.8 is only about £75 and the sigma 85mm is about £660.
Posted 2 May 2013
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
markeewould
any recommends on where to get one from re price etc ??
I bought mine from Amazon. Test it out, return it without any trouble if its not 100% spot on focusing.
Posted 2 May 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
pygar1
Are you not comparing the canon 85mm 1.8 price here with the Sigma 50mm 1.4? The canon 50mm 1.8 is only about £75 and the sigma 85mm is about £660.
No, I'm comparing the Canon 50mm f1.4 (£279 at WHE) vs Sigma 50mm f1.4 (£359 at WHE) Don't forget the Sigma includes a 'free' lens hood which would otherwise cost you £23.99 for the one for the Canon.
Posted 2 May 2013
Edited by RedChecker 2 May 2013
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Quality control is said to be a bit variable, but mine focuses perfectly.

Every lens I've got now focuses perfectly with the 5D3 - about a 98% success rate.

The 5D2 was more like a 75% success rate.

Posted 2 May 2013
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Selling my Canon 50mm 1.4 cheap if you're interested. PM me.

It's not a bad lens, but it's not up to my others (35/1.4L, 85/1.8, 135/2.0L).

Posted 2 May 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join