speaker system for ipad 3 ?

speaker system for ipad 3 ?

19 posts
30 April 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Looking for a good speaker system or docking station (permanent system for lounge-not a portable) for an ipad 3
do you have a personal recommendation ?
Posted 30 April 2013
Edited by photostore 30 April 2013
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Posted 30 April 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
I've been looking for this sort of thing myself. Having looked at the various options my overriding impression is that the market is full of crappy plastic products inflated in price 400% merely because they're 'iPad compatible' or they're branded by some rap producer that I don't even like.

I'm considering just going for a pair of high quality powered monitor speakers and the right lead.

http://www.dv247.com/search/2940/0/ProductPrice/Ascending/-/1/

Something like a pair of KRK Rokit RP5s and the right lead would sound better than a single plastic speaker trying to produce a stereo sound...

Posted 30 April 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
looks fantastic and i'm sure it sounds amazing but don't want to spend more than £200
also Airplay seems to be much dearer than bluetooth, can anyone enlighten me ?
I'd also not mind going wired connectivity, if the sound was good at the right price.

Posted 30 April 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
Apple charges $$$ for manufacturers to include Airplay. So if you manage to find a speaker with it for less than £200, be aware that a large chunk of that money is going to Apple for licencing and not being spent on speaker.

Bluetooth audio has generally been pretty crappy quality - although there's a new standard out there called aptX which sounds decent. iOS doesn't yet support it.

If you can live with a 1/8inch to two phono plugs lead, and drive powered speakers directly from the iPad, then you'll get a lot more sound for your buck.

Posted 30 April 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Andy_B

Apple charges $$$ for manufacturers to include Airplay. So if you manage to find a speaker with it for less than £200, be aware that a large chunk of that money is going to Apple for licencing and not being spent on speaker. Bluetooth audio has generally been pretty crappy quality - although there's a new standard out there called aptX which sounds decent. iOS doesn't yet support it. If you can live with a 1/8inch to two phono plugs lead, and drive powered speakers directly from the iPad, then you'll get a lot more sound for your buck.

It's definately an option but wireless was the preferred  route

Posted 30 April 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
I'm not even sure of the source music she has on it anyway !
She has bought itunes stuff for her iphone, but recently she's been at the ipad for hours playing on an app called imusic (basically its the video and songs sourced from you tube i think )? so not sure of the source musics quality ? presumably its just an mp3 file ?
Anyway she wants to have it through a decent system/speakers !
Posted 30 April 2013
Edited by photostore 30 April 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk £49
http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-audio/topaz-am1/camb-topaz-am1-blk £79
http://www.richersounds.com/product/hi-fi-interconnects/cambridge-audio/aud100-3.5-1m/camb-aud100-2ph-1m £10

Total £140

For example

Posted 1 May 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I simply bought a phono connection cable to connect it to my existing hifi and it works perfectly (I just have the iPad sat at the side of the hifi when listening to Spotify or podcasts) The one I got was an Arcam one that although has extra wiring for the amp to control the iPad/Pod/Phone it works fine just dangling it down the back unconnected (I've put a little plastic bag over the redundant connector to avoid shorting). Mine also allows a charger to be connected to it. Cost me ~£20 IIRC
Posted 1 May 2013
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecooked
The harmon stick speakers and subwoofer are very satisfying, and quite sexy! H ave them jacked into the tv, macbook or I pad!

Posted 1 May 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
There's an Amazon basics cable here for £12:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004SBBDD0/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0JS0HMR700TJ3GEPD1BH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

Posted 1 May 2013
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Rawandthecooked

The harmon stick speakers and subwoofer are very satisfying, and quite sexy! H ave them jacked into the tv, macbook or I pad!

Another vote for the soundsticks & they look great

Posted 1 May 2013
scubie
Photographer
scubie
RedChecker

I simply bought a phono connection cable to connect it to my existing hifi and it works perfectly (I just have the iPad sat at the side of the hifi when listening to Spotify or podcasts) The one I got was an Arcam one that although has extra wiring for the amp to control the iPad/Pod/Phone it works fine just dangling it down the back unconnected (I've put a little plastic bag over the redundant connector to avoid shorting). Mine also allows a charger to be connected to it. Cost me ~£20 IIRC

Yep def the way to go. takes a while but I upload my cd and record in wav format to my ipad, then loose lead to  amp, sounds great!
   Doug
Posted 1 May 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Spike

Another vote for the soundsticks & they look great

These have to definately be on the list, especially now i know they sound good, my wife once bought a £500 quid hi fi system as she "liked the colours which matched the room !!!" brother in law reaped the benefits when she next re-decorated ! 
Posted 1 May 2013
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
photostore

These have to definately be on the list, especially now i know they sound good, my wife once bought a £500 quid hi fi system as she "liked the colours which matched the room !!!" brother in law reaped the benefits when she next re-decorated ! 

Along similar lines, but a bit cheaper, are these

http://www.tesco.com/direct/harman-international-jbl-creature-iii-speakers-21-desktop-system-black/211-5234.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=211-5234

I
 find them acceptable for music, but admit I'm no audiophile. You'll also need to figure out some support for the ipad unless you're happy to lay it next to it.

Airplay is the way to go though, if you can justify the price.

Do you have a TV with surround sound or other decent speaker set-up? You could use an Apple TV to play through that via airplay if so.
Posted 1 May 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join