Rant

34 posts
23 April 2013
Hey people, I hope its okay to vent here? I just feel like giving everything up, im struggling so much so sort out shoots. Feeling like photographers aren't interested in me. Then other girls with harsher looks get more shoots...I don't get it. I know I am no oil painting but still, its a big confidence knock I feel like i have no potential anymore please someone help me out of this rut
Posted 23 April 2013
beaverray
Photographer
beaverray
Hi Kerri, Personally speaking, I think you have a good start to your portfolio for someone who has only been a member of the site for a few months so certainly don't give up! You have joined at a time when work for models, including paid work, is hard to come by after Christmas and the site is full of models offering cut price rates in order to get the bookings available. I assure you that photographers will be, and indeed are, interested in you so continue to put castings up and I'm sure work will soon follow. Best of luck to you
Posted 23 April 2013
beaverray
Hi Kerri, Personally speaking, I think you have a good start to your portfolio for someone who has only been a member of the site for a few months so certainly don't give up! You have joined at a time when work for models, including paid work, is hard to come by after Christmas and the site is full of models offering cut price rates in order to get the bookings available. I assure you that photographers will be, and indeed are, interested in you so continue to put castings up and I'm sure work will soon follow. Best of luck to you
Thank you It has kinda made me feel better knowing its not just me. I felt rather like no one was interested in working with me. I know it sounds pathetic but I just cant help feeling unwanted lol.
Posted 23 April 2013
photoclassic
Photographer
photoclassic
Genuine advice, so please take it as such...

You only have a few shots in your portfolio and most of these have the same expression, which actually looks like "bored" and doesn't flatter you. The one shot where you are half-smiling wearing a hat, is much better: your face comes alive.

I would lose the bridal shot on the tractor straight away. It is a dreadful angle and the expression is not bridal (ie full natural smile). I actually looked at the shot and thought "what the hell was the photographer thinking?" and your expression looks like you were thinking the same. Seriously, if I gave that shot to a bride I would expect to be sued.

I see from your notes that you have family and work commitments that would prevent you travelling for shoots and as you live in Inverness, that would leave more than 90% of the photographers on PS out of reach. That will limit your options but you can still get more experience locally and experience is really what you need to help you develop your craft.

Work on posing and expressions in the mirror, look through magazines for images you like and don't be afraid to take them along to a TFP/TFCD shoot to give the photographer an idea of what you are looking to achieve.

You have a very good photographer local to you that you have already worked with in John Baikie; see if you can arrange more shoots with him to help develop your skills.

There are also camera clubs in Inverness, Dingwall, Nairn and Forres which shouldn't be too far for you to go (or for photographers to come to you). Try contacting them and asking if they have members interested in shooting models.

I know you are frustrated but be careful how you word things or you could put people off: describing other models who seem to be getting more opportunities as having "harsher looks" will not persuade them to impart the knowledge of how they are getting more work to you.

You have a good figure and good skin so the potential is there; you just need to learn to unlock it.

Posted 23 April 2013
photoclassic
Genuine advice, so please take it as such... You only have a few shots in your portfolio and most of these have the same expression, which actually looks like "bored" and doesn't flatter you. The one shot where you are half-smiling wearing a hat, is much better: your face comes alive. I would lose the bridal shot on the tractor straight away. It is a dreadful angle and the expression is not bridal (ie full natural smile). I actually looked at the shot and thought "what the hell was the photographer thinking?" and your expression looks like you were thinking the same. Seriously, if I gave that shot to a bride I would expect to be sued. I see from your notes that you have family and work commitments that would prevent you travelling for shoots and as you live in Inverness, that would leave more than 90% of the photographers on PS out of reach. That will limit your options but you can still get more experience locally and experience is really what you need to help you develop your craft. Work on posing and expressions in the mirror, look through magazines for images you like and don't be afraid to take them along to a TFP/TFCD shoot to give the photographer an idea of what you are looking to achieve. You have a very good photographer local to you that you have already worked with in John Baikie; see if you can arrange more shoots with him to help develop your skills. There are also camera clubs in Inverness, Dingwall, Nairn and Forres which shouldn't be too far for you to go (or for photographers to come to you). Try contacting them and asking if they have members interested in shooting models. I know you are frustrated but be careful how you word things or you could put people off: describing other models who seem to be getting more opportunities as having "harsher looks" will not persuade them to impart the knowledge of how they are getting more work to you. You have a good figure and good skin so the potential is there; you just need to learn to unlock it.
Thank you for the advice, I don't want people to be put off by what I said. This is what other people have said to me. I can see from another persons point of view though that might of come across as harsh though. So I am sorry for that it really wasn't intended to offend. I am glad of any advice that I get, like you see I haven't been doing this modelling long. So again, I am happy for any advice I can get.
Posted 23 April 2013
I agree with the "work with John Baikie".

Seriously he is one of my favourite photographers when it comes to bridal. Infact I've booked him to shoot my wedding next year, I WISH I lived closer to him to collaborate more often. You are stuck in a hard place up there, when Howard/photoclassic said 90% of photographers are elsewhere he was being kind.. I would say its about 2% local to you which is a very small pool.

What you could do is learn local locations suitable for shoots, have a note on your portfolio saying something like "Lucky to be in one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland and I have a good knowledge of the landscape locally" - That way if people are travelling up to Inverness on holiday for example they might look for a model to shoot while they are there. If you seem approachable and knowledgable then it might get you a booking or two. Quite a lot of my local shoots are with photographers who are in Scotland on holiday.

Good luck

Posted 23 April 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
Well, let's ask a question.

Do you actively seek out photographers who you want to work with? Do you offer them money to produce outstanding images for your port? Do you politely ask for TF if they'd like to work with you?

Or

Do you expect to put up a profile and have it handed to you. Do you put up a CC and wonder why noone is answering.

I'm not saying you are these at all. I am saying that this is not an industry that rewards laziness. The best models are extremely proactive. Look at the poster above, Chrissie. Gorgeous model, wonderful port and I can bet every bloody person on the forums knows who she is, because she's always here. Publicity is just that. I'll probably never work with her (different ends of the country for a start), but you can bet when I think of models on here, she springs to mind.

So, how proactive are you? And, if you are, what are the reasons the people you contact, won't work with you?

Posted 23 April 2013
Edited by Socialdisaster 23 April 2013
Chrissie,

Thank you for the advice, I will change my profile a bit to the wording you suggested. I would love to work with John again but he wont do TF for a few months.

Socialdisaster,

I actively message photographers and ask if they would be willing to work. Like you all have said, my opportunities to work with photographers are very limited. So it really speaks for itself there just isn't enough photographers. I do ask for TF work only, as I cannot afford to pay photographers at this time.

I dunno maybe i should be online more often and look for work.

Posted 23 April 2013
Your very welcome, I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Another suggestion is to be active on as many portfolio hosting sites as you can, there are some photographers who are only on model mayhem or only on other sites and not on purestorm. When I get itchy feet (which usually happens in the middle of the night) I take pictures of myself, granted they aren't always that good and I'm lucky to have a good camera but it does help feed the craving to have a shoot. Another good way to get some shoots is if you go on holiday or have family members down south take the opportunity to sorting out a shoot or two while you are in the area. If the cost of your travelling is already paid for then its great having a little photo session while you can.

Have you worked with David Porter? he is up near you and shoots fairly often and has some lovely images so might be worth getting in contact with him.

http://purestorm.com/profile.aspx?id=szmytke

Posted 23 April 2013
Chrissie, Can you tell me some other sites I could use? Thank you for the rest of the advice aswell, I will take it all on board! Oooh great I will go ahead and have a look at his portfolio page.
Posted 23 April 2013
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Starryeyed89

I would love to work with John again but he wont do TF for a few months.

So why don't you pay him if you'd like to work with him again and he isn't offering TF?
Seemples!

Posted 23 April 2013
Because I cannot afford to pay anyone just now
Posted 23 April 2013
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Where are you based? The Highlands is a relatively huge area and I think it would help if you told people your location more precisely than "Highland region"

Posted 23 April 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
You make a point of mentioning work and child committments, you don't do nude which is fine but you may not be tall enough for some for fashion . Plus you live in the highlands! Perhaps try some direct marketing with casting calls?

Posted 23 April 2013
jes
Model
jes
You want to do fashion but you're 5'4" and your portfolio isn't outstanding.  You don't get anywhere unless you invest time and money.  No one can afford anything but if you're serious about wanting to get paid work, then you have to put some money in...somehow like the rest of us.

Posted 23 April 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join