models just doing it for money

models just doing it for money

67 posts
17 April 2013
moodimage
Photographer
moodimage
Just wondered how many photographers get models wanting good money just cause the can get nude and are not interested in the modeling side of the deal and don't show much enthusiasm once on set.

Posted 17 April 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
I think there a couple of aspects to this, I used to work with a model who had an enthusiasm for modelling and yes liked the money but was involved in the shoot. Over time and her doing a lot of work with quite a few photographers, it became clear that sadly she was just going through the motions with no real interest any more, hence why I used the past tense at the start.
Another aspect though are models who are actually very good but it is a job, they are professional, do their part of the job as well as they can, may not always be all that obsessed with seeing the images as they have a pretty good idea how they will look, at the end they go and that's it.

Posted 17 April 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Enthusiasm is a two way street and payment of money alone not a means to obtain it. So many assignments offered to models are just that - get nude for cash. Offering something a bit more interesting and creative to shoot plus being considerate does an awful lot to generate enthusiasm.

There are models who are only in it for the money but they are pretty easy to weed out in any communication

Posted 17 April 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Ps it's not at all confined to nude work!

Posted 17 April 2013
bartman11
Photographer
bartman11
Gerry99111

Enthusiasm is a two way street and payment of money alone not a means to obtain it. So many assignments offered to models are just that - get nude for cash. Offering something a bit more interesting and creative to shoot plus being considerate does an awful lot to generate enthusiasm. There are models who are only in it for the money but they are pretty easy to weed out in any communication

what gerry said ^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted 17 April 2013
moodimage
Photographer
moodimage
No but getting nude thinks the can charge 50ph with not effort. It costs us photographers a he'll of a lot of money in equipment to get going and don't think some realize that.

Posted 17 April 2013
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
The question is, "Who's to blame?"

If there weren't plenty of "photographers" around who were prepared to pay to shoot a model with her kit off, then maybe they would have to put more effort in.
If you're a model and people are offering you cash from day one, regardless of experience and ability, then would you see any point in working towards becoming a better model?

Posted 17 April 2013
Mcroshaw
Photographer
Mcroshaw
The top pro's exude enthusiasm on a shoot, even though obviously they are doing it for money, they also are very creative people who really do want to create the best images they can. I find this extremely important and is one reason I rarely do paid shoots and mostly shoot TF ( that and I'm cheap ). I've experienced the paid shoot where it's clear the model is not interested in the shots and just goes through their standard poses. For some people this is enough, but for others it ruins the creative aspect of a shoot. So if I was going to pay a model for a particular project I'd go the extra mile and book someone I know will provide creative energy to the shoot.

Posted 17 April 2013
Edited by Mcroshaw 17 April 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
moodimage
It costs us photographers a he'll (sic) of a lot of money in equipment to get going and don't think some realize that.
The cost of your equipment's of no concern to a model, and why should it be? Do you, for instance, take into consideration the money models spend on clothes (and I'm talking clothes they buy purely for modelling, not those they normally wear)?
Posted 17 April 2013
moodimage
Photographer
moodimage
I know they are girls out there that spend a lot of money on looking good, on clothes and know how to work it for the camera which is super and should be paid a good rate as they are full time models.

Posted 17 April 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
I think there are definitely models who just don't show the interest it'd be nice to see but in all honesty, you can spot them a mile off on their ports. I shot three models last week, all very different, all excellent and all enthusiastic in different ways. But I never had any doubts about them before meeting them.

But deetvstudio is entirely correct. There are slews of photographers who will pay the mediocre masses, thus sustaining the believe that they don't actually have to try.

Posted 17 April 2013
I don't understand models who are in it purely for the money. Considering the amount of unpaid work you put in (emailing, travelling, casting, etc, etc), and the difficulty of earning a decent living from it - once you take out expenses like clothing and make up - as well as the judgement it can attract from people ("you whore, getting naked for money"), I think they'd have to be a bit more than money in it for most models. Not sure if I've ever spoken to a model who didn't enjoy it or wasn't invested in the images actually...

It can be quite disheartening working with people who don't appear to be interested or invested in the shots though. Some photographers appear to be almost doing it out of habit; they worked out how to take one good photograph 5 years ago and have been taking the same one ever since, expecting each model to do roughly the same set of poses. With those people, it's easy to slip into a posing routine while thinking about what you're having for dinner, or whatever, and they normally seem happy with that. Some of them are open to input and get excited when you provide new ideas, which is awesome, but others will shut down any input from the model, which is significantly less awesome.

I haven't worked with masses of people like that...just three or four. I remember them because it was so fecking boring. x.x

Posted 17 April 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
moodimage
I know there are girls out there who spend a lot of money on looking good, on clothes and know how to work it for the camera, which is super and should be paid a good rate as they are full time models.
But the money they spend on clothing isn't foremost in your thoughts when booking/shooting a model, and that's my point - why should the cost of your photographic equipment be a deciding factor in how much enthusiasm a model brings to a shoot?
Posted 17 April 2013
Bob
Photographer
Bob
moodimage

It costs us photographers a he'll of a lot of money in equipment to get going and don't think some realize that.

If you've spent all your pocketmoney on kit and you can't get models to pose for you for free you could an always photograph daffodils. There's plenty about at the moment, they're quite prettyand they won't care how much or how little you spent on gadgets to take their pictures.
Bob

Posted 17 April 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Excellent point by Tansy, the best shoots require partnership and it being about the individual one is photographing, a person first. Indeed some photographers have probably had the same lighting, location etc set up for ages, the model changes but nothing else, hardly going to stir much enthusiasm.

Posted 17 April 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join