Our FRACKING government ! Cheap gas my A***

Our FRACKING government ! Cheap gas my A***

20 posts
10 April 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore

[ Admin Warning -  Another Soapbox Thread ]

It's all over sky news this morning about Durham College investigations into gas fracking and how the hype about earthquakes are nonsense ? with them stating that the minor quakes caused by it are so small only geologists with the correct equipment can record it, and how it will undoubtedly benefit the country with cheaper gas prices (my arse ! if you think the developers/sponsors are doing it to give you a good deal ? return immediately to cloud cuckoo land)) and fuel security for the long term ?

What they dont tell you is about the other environmental issues with it seaping into waterways and even your drinking water supply
check this video out, there are plenty more like it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LBjSXWQRV8coming to your area ?    
 https://docs.google.com/a/greenpeace.org/file/d/0B1cEvov1OlyHbnlUUFRLZEloSWM/edit?pli=1
Posted 10 April 2013
Edited by WebModerator 11 April 2013
paulcase
Photographer
paulcase
Its on my doorstep and what is most worrying is the level of apathy shown by local residents, there will no doubt be environmental issues and with them will come health issues,tumbling house prices etc yet no one seems over concerned! People these days just sleepwalk through life while these big industries sponsored by whichever government is in power brainwash the people with TV and general crap while doing whatever they please!! There are many examples on you tube etc I just wish I could get more people to watch them! The local councillors just push jobs and cheaper fuel as the good reason to continue which are both questionable. Caudrillar are even spreading their propaganda in local schools to brainwash the kids! What do you do??

Posted 10 April 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
It's forecast to become the largest source of fuel in the US making them self sufficient on shale gas alone..apparently.

I know we have a much smaller land mass and much higher population densities but we need a long term solution and fracking should not be dismissed on insufficient information. Is it really more dangerous than digging deep coal mines and pits or quarry blasting for instance?

In my view virtually any opportunity to not go down the flawed route of nuclear needs careful consideration.

It is true we benefited little from north sea gas 'cos we sold it, but that was a political decision!!
Posted 10 April 2013
Edited by OldMaster 10 April 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
paulcase

Its on my doorstep and what is most worrying is the level of apathy shown by local residents,

We have a slightly different approach down here but for what I would call the wrong reasons. Their is a plan to put a wind turbine 'farm' in Poole Bay, well about 10 miles from land, and all the arguments to date have been over whether or not it will spoil the view and keep grockles away - very few people are actually asking whether or not wind generated power on such a small scale is worthwhile.

Posted 10 April 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
OldMaster

It's forecast to become the largest source of fuel in the US making them self sufficient on shale gas alone..apparently.

I know we have a much smaller land mass and much higher population densities but we need a long term solution and fracking should not be dismissed on insufficient information. Is it really more dangerous than digging deep coal mines and pits or quarry blasting for instance?

In my view virtually any opportunity to not go down the flawed route of nuclear needs careful consideration.

It is true we benefited little from north sea gas 'cos we sold it, but that was a political decision!!

Ans: without a doubt much more dangerous, do some research or check out the dvd Gasland-shows whats already happening in the states

Posted 10 April 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
The company that owns the technology for fracking wont even divulge to the American government what the chemical cocktail is that they pump into the ground to make it possible ? but be sure it ain't sugar and spice and all things nice
Posted 10 April 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
I'll take a look because this issue does interest me ..thanks!

Posted 10 April 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
The view is shale gas will not be a big contributor to the UK energy market as our geology makes it uneconomic to extract and the volumes yielded would be lowerer. As a result it won't be happening in a major way in the UK.

Nuclear is probably the most cost effective way to go for the UK.

The UK has recently started signing gas supply deals with the US so they'll become more important to us and yes we might take some of their more expensive gas. I'm assuming they'll keep the cheaper gas for themselves as I think with shale the US will no longer be depend on external supplies. This will buy their economy the time to develop new cleaner energy generation technologies whilst still being competitive.

Basically UK governments have failed to make the big energy generation decisions in time and now the UK is feeling the pain. Here's an interesting article about the impact on Europe http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/9982885/Europe-falling-behind-US-and-blighted-by-energy-costs.html

The UK government should have got on with building more nuclear power stations years ago, so we weren't able to be put over a barrel by the Russians, Middle East and the US.

You voted for them and this is what you get. Shit happens and then you die (possibly as a poor old person in fuel poverty)

Posted 10 April 2013
Edited by HowardJ 10 April 2013
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
Fracking BAND in New Zealand.......

Posted 11 April 2013
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
photostore

Ans: without a doubt much more dangerous, do some research or check out the dvd Gasland-shows whats already happening in the states

Naturally, you can access this but Durham can't 
Posted 11 April 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
mattharper

Naturally, you can access this but Durham can't 

Maybe he does'nt want to ........

"The lead author of a report which compared seismic activity caused by fracking to the energy produced by someone jumping off a ladder insisted today that his study was fully independent of big energy companies.

Professor Richard Davies of Durham University, who has previously worked in exploration for ExxonMobil, said it was vital that academics in the field had direct experience in the industry."

Gotta love the second paragraph cheeky
And another little piece of info

"The Durham Energy Institute, of which Professor Davies is director, boasts a number of private partners from the energy sector including the part Chinese-state owned IGas which has raised £23.1m to fund exploration for shale gas in North West England this summer. The company also owns licences to drill in the Chancellor George Osborne's constituency of Tatton.

Posted 11 April 2013
Edited by photostore 11 April 2013
basil
Photographer
basil
OldMaster

Slightly off topic but what's the problem with nuclear power. Its responsible for less deaths than the internal combustion engine and contributes less to global warning.I'm in favour of offshore windfarms myself but opponents say it spoils their view.
Posted 12 April 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
basil
Slightly off topic but what's the problem with nuclear power. Its responsible for less deaths than the internal combustion engine and contributes less to global warning.I'm in favour of offshore windfarms myself but opponents say it spoils their view.
Nuclear is good apart from the waste and decommissioning which nobody to seems to have properly cracked. http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/magazine/16-06/ff_heresies_08nuclear
Posted 12 April 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
couchpotato
Fracking BAND in New Zealand.......
What kind of music do they play? Or did you mean banned?
Posted 12 April 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
basil

If the choice is nuclear or fracking ? then stick a wind turbine in my garden any day.
Posted 12 April 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join