Question to models...does camera size matter?

Question to models...does camera size matter?

33 posts
4 April 2013
PCPearce
Photographer
PCPearce
Recent posts on the photography forum on here and other photography sites about mirror less SLR's about how small, light and getting great results.

Photographers are either worried to change there camera gear or they are using this type of camera set up now. Are worried about what the models think when pulling this type of camera out of the bag and don’t take the photographer serious. Because they are not using a big cameras and lenses.

The question to you ladies is does it bother you the size of camera photographer is using?

Many thanks,

Paul
Posted 4 April 2013
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Sorry I know you aimed this at models but my first camera was a Rollei 35, I think it was the 2nd smallest camera of its time and it took awesome images.

Posted 4 April 2013
No

However other than film cameras or people having a laugh or a mess around nobody has ever pulled out a £99 argos camera on a shoot with me.
Saying that though if the argos cameras operator can take a good picture then it doesn't really matter. I've seen some bloody awful images out of a mobile phone and seen some great images from one, it totally depends on who is using it.

Posted 4 April 2013
Fisherface
Make Up Artist
Fisherface
Generally, no..but I went to one shoot where the "Photographer" pulled his camera out of his pocket.  It was smaller than my phone.  He them proceeded to tell me that he got into photography because he looed at FHM and just knew he could do better.  He showed me one or two on the back of the camera and they were just awful!  I walked out after one hour, not because of his camera but because the home studio was a desperate mess and has a skanky looking matress in the corner with dubious stains on it.

Posted 4 April 2013
seanb
Photographer
seanb
When I finally get round to another shoot, I'm going to give my new camera a whirl - it's a Panasonic G3. I reckon the quality will be close to my current DSLR, and better than the DSLRs I started out with.

I bought it as a lighter camera for outdoor work, but it will be interesting to see what reaction - if any - it gets when I use it on shoots. First time out I'd have my SLR to hand as well, as I'll be doing direct comparisons.

So, yes, I'm also interested in responses to this one.

Posted 4 April 2013
Almost on topic

I upgraded to a bigger camera and the images were still crap

If I didnt know better I'd think it was me to blame 
Posted 4 April 2013
snapychapy
Photographer
snapychapy
'if the argos cameras operator can take a good picture then it doesn't really matter' I am a senior photographer working for Argos, so I guess I'm an Argos camera operator .
Posted 4 April 2013
the size/make doesn't bother me but i would be dubious of someone that pulls out anything less than an SLR yes there are some photographers good enough to take an image on anything, but pulling out a 99p disposable film camera or a cheapie Argos digital would make me assume that you are a GWC and just looking to try an see tits but could even be bothered to spend money on the rouse
Posted 4 April 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
RattusRock
the size/make doesn't bother me but i would be dubious of someone that pulls out anything less than an SLR
That's my plans for a Leica M9 up the shoot then! Still, it'll save me close on £10,000!
Posted 5 April 2013
Edited by mph 5 April 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
RattusRock

the size/make doesn't bother me but i would be dubious of someone that pulls out anything less than an SLR .......

Why?  See photos from Damien Lovegrove. 
 http://www.prophotonut.com/2012/02/19/fujifilm-x100-review-15000-frames-user-review/
Posted 5 April 2013
Edited by Paul_Jones 5 April 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
C'mon models, you should know better than anyone, it's not what you have got, it's what you do with it!!

But unless the photographer particularly wants the look of a noisy image from a phone or an "arty effect" from polaroid or throw away film camera, I guess there is some relevance as to the equipment used and it's value but not as important perhaps as the confidence they have using it and the confidence they inspire in the model.

I would be more than happy for instance to shoot with the new Fuji X1-pro or X100s as they are both capable of peerless quality...but as ever it is horses for courses and they will not be suited to every task but I am sure the issue is irrelevant to the model if they are getting the images they like?
Posted 5 April 2013
Edited by OldMaster 5 April 2013
mike23
Photographer
mike23
RattusRock

the size/make doesn't bother me but i would be dubious of someone that pulls out anything less than an SLR yes there are some photographers good enough to take an image on anything, but pulling out a 99p disposable film camera or a cheapie Argos digital would make me assume that you are a GWC and just looking to try an see tits but could even be bothered to spend money on the rouse

Why would you necessarily be dubious of someone with " less than an SLR ?". While I use Nikon DSLRs'  a lot of the time....   I've been using a Pen E-P3 quite a bit recently.   allied ( in the main ) to  the 45mm M.Zuiko lens.   Originally bought for a trip to Italy when I couldn't be ar$ed to lug a DSLR kit with me.... the  E-P3 with standard 14-42mm kit lens did a very good job!   Yes, it's smaller than a DSLR... but holds it own with many.

Some sample pics...................

http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/olympus-e-p3-review-pudu-wet-market.html

Trust me ...size DOESN'T always matter......  
Posted 5 April 2013
Sacredo
Photographer
Sacredo
There are plenty of photographers who put grips on their cameras for 'ergonomic' reasons ... or more likely to make their cameras look more 'pro' Actually I know quite a few photographers who maintain they need better cameras than their clients for appearance sakes if nothing else ... which has some truth to it. Every man and his dog has a DSLR these days ! Even if you could do a job on your phone, who would?!
Posted 5 April 2013
mph
That's my plans for a Leica M9 up the shoot then! Still, it'll save me close on £10,000!
not you, an not classic or interest (i love old pinhole cameras) but i mean people pulling out the likes of or
Posted 5 April 2013
Edited by RattusRock 5 April 2013
and once again everybody take everything out of context if you read all my post it explains about GWC it was no attack on anyone, and i even said a good photographer can get a good image on anything so wheres the offence be honest though, if you booked a wedding photographer and he showed up with 10 disposables from poundland would you not be dubious
Posted 5 April 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join