Photoshop Colourspaces & Nik Software

Photoshop Colourspaces & Nik Software

4 posts
29 March 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Following on from THIS thread, Paul Cox suggested I test various Photoshop plug-ins in different colourspaces (sRGB, AdobeRGB & ProPhoto RGB) to see what effects may occur (if any).

My results from a quick test are HERE (ZIP file)

The filenames should be fairly self-explanatory with sRGB, Adobe and Pro referring to the three colourspaces used.  They were all edited in their associated colour spaces and subsequently converted to sRGB and then 8-bit for JPG export.

UNEDITED - the original file converted from Lightroom without any adjustments.
Nik - was using Color Efex Pro 4 with the Classical Soft Focus option
DXOBW - was using DXO Film Pack and the Pan F Plus 50 film option
DXOC - was using DXO FIlm Pack and the LoFi option
Portraiture - was using Imagenomic Portraiture on a preset I made (in ProPhoto RGB but applied to the other spaces)

As you can see they all look pretty much the same with the exception of ProPhoto when used with Nik which is quite different.  The portrature ones suffer from a slight difference in softening areas although this may be to do with the colour spaces effecting the masks for the skin softening.

I'm going to try running the same Nik filter through Lightroom 4 later this morning to see if there's any change there as well.
Posted 29 March 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Interestingly when you edit an image directly inside Lightroom the 'copy' which gets processed on seems to be in a different colour space (I'm guessing sRGB), I can tell this as the yellow/orange glow behind Miss Pixie's shoulder on the left of the image doesn't blend as smooth in the copy compared to the original (which is what seems to happen when I edit in sRGB rather than ProPhoto, which I believe is Lightroom's native colourspace) For anyone who didn't download the ZIP above, this is the image being used for the illustration (albeit this is my final edited one):
Posted 29 March 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I've just opened the TIF file that LR creates for editing, it is indeed an sRGB file.

Posted 29 March 2013
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphoto..
RedChecker

I've just opened the TIF file that LR creates for editing, it is indeed an sRGB file.

You can edit the script it uses to create the file to give a different colour profile but then the colours change.

Posted 29 March 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join