Nikon D600 Please Help!!

Nikon D600 Please Help!!

24 posts
20 March 2013
stefanschiefer
Photographer
stefanschief..
I purchased a d600 just before the holidays and have not nothing but bother with the dust issue

I've been in contact with nikon on numerous occasions and they only offer to take the camera off me for 4-6 weeks to "clean it"

I cant afford to not have a camera for 4-6 weeks but also cant afford to purchase a secondary body

Has anyone else faced the same issues or have any advise?

thank you in advance

Stefan

Posted 20 March 2013
N_A_Photography
Photographer
N_A_Photogra..
By law if they take the camera off you and you lose work within this time due to this problem with the camera you can claim for consequential loses Send head office a letter stating the camera problem and then state that you want consequencial loses you will need to provide proof of bookings and lose of earnings Make sure you send recorded delivery and state 10 day response or legal action will be taken otherwise they will **** you about Hope that helps sorry I can't help with the actual fixing problem hope you get it sorted Edit: Letter needs to be sent to retailer
Posted 20 March 2013
Edited by N_A_Photography 20 March 2013
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Someone at Nikon is being overly cautious, I've sent back 4-5 items this year to them including 2 cameras for full service not one item has taken more than 2 weeks, I have to say though on each occasion it felt longer!

Dominic

Posted 21 March 2013
Studio1
Photographer
Studio1
Reference the trader being responsible is correct but there might be an issue if the camera was bought or used for a business, The sale of goods to the best of my knowledge may not cover the advice given if business use. Also if used for a business the trader / manufacturer might deem it that a photographer would always have a back camera. Another problem could also be if the camera has an inerrant fault or the problem is a user one. The legal situation can sometimes be very difficult to resolve.

Posted 21 March 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
It's clearly a bit of a paradox if the camera is 'not fit for purpose' under the sale of goods act, but you can't afford to be without it for x weeks because you are still earning money with it.

Posted 21 March 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
stolenfaces

It's clearly a bit of a paradox if the camera is 'not fit for purpose' under the sale of goods act, but you can't afford to be without it for x weeks because you are still earning money with it.

Indeed. I would be very careful how you word your complaint.
If is useable commercialy, it is not unfit for purpose.

Take it back to the shop. Demad a refund and buy something else.
Posted 21 March 2013
Studio1
Photographer
Studio1
This is getting out of hand. Demanding a refund could cause the trader who sold the camera to be difficult as a customer does not have a right to demand anything. If  the goods are for a consumer use and not trade use then are covered by the Sale of Goods Act but the trader might feel that after the length of time since purchased that the camera is indeed repairable within a reasonable time factor which is like asking how long a piece of string is.

If the trader who sold the camera feels that is was purchased for trade / business use then things could get difficult and a repair may be all that is offered at the best.

So always tread carefully and think before storming in and trying to demand anything unless you are sure of your facts. Traders as well as customers do have certain rights and if the trader feels he is being threatened by a demanding customer he could get advice himself from Trading Standards.  This then could course allsorts of delays as to whether the camera was faulty when purchased of if something could have caused the camera problem due to its use etc.
Posted 21 March 2013
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
Another problem might be Nikon determining that the D600 is not suitable for professional use. Certainly as a Nikon professional there is a limited range of kit that I can claim professional service on.

Posted 21 March 2013
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
Another problem might be Nikon determining that the D600 is not suitable for professional use. Certainly as a Nikon professional there is a limited range of kit that I can claim professional service on.

Posted 21 March 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
LaurenceJPower
http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/pro/Pro_NPU.page? The D600 is listed as a pro body
Posted 21 March 2013
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
If I considered it to be a problem that I was not able to clean / solve I'd take it to one of my local service places and get it done on the day or next day. Cheaper than the postage and time involved on any other route. I do have the luxury of a recognised Nikon ( and Canon ) service centre nearby and Johnson's who also do cleaning and Calumet in Manchester too.

Posted 22 March 2013
kflashm
Photographer
kflashm
if you are getting that much dust in, you must be doing something wrong! 
are you keeping  lens on all the time ?  when did you last clean you end caps ?  i use a Nikon d3 and D3x only ever had a few dust bunnies to clean and a full battery and a light wipe with a sensor pen usually does it.
Posted 22 March 2013
DCox
Photographer
DCox
kflashm

if you are getting that much dust in, you must be doing something wrong! 
are you keeping  lens on all the time ?  when did you last clean you end caps ?  i use a Nikon d3 and D3x only ever had a few dust bunnies to clean and a full battery and a light wipe with a sensor pen usually does it.

sadly it seems to be a manufacturing problem with the 600....many of them need a clean soon after first use
Posted 23 March 2013
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Many cameras need a clean after an initial running in period.
Why not buy the cleaning equipment and clean it yourself?

Posted 24 March 2013
mark_roe
Photographer
mark_roe
Take it to an official Nikon service centre along with your receipt and if its still in warranty they will charge the clean to Nikon. Fiaxation do a while you wait sensor clean service so you could be in and out in under 45 mins...

Posted 25 March 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join