Top Gear

36 posts
4 March 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Did anyone watch the Top Gear Africa 'special' last night? Talk about Dull with a capital D. And there's part 2 of it next week. Well that's one less (or is it fewer?) viewer they'll have. Just forget the 'specials' and get back to the usual format. And while I'm on one, get rid of the oh so hilarious and well choreographed and scripted 'spontaneous' mishaps and arguments and stick to just testing and reporting on the cars. Ok, rant over, time to brace myself for the inevitable abuse
Posted 4 March 2013
scubie
Photographer
scubie
Totally agree, Out in the wild-- get stuck, and 10 guys emerge from the bush to push them out !!!!!!!

Posted 4 March 2013
acme
Photographer
acme
Couldn't agree more my friend.
Top Gear has been like that for years.
A Ferrari driving down a straight road verses a 2 legged cat climbing Everest with a washing machine tied to its cat back and the cat wins it by 1 second!!!!

Boring boring boring.

I'd do time for that Hammond!!!!!!!!!

Posted 4 March 2013
River
Model
River
I love top gear...but do agree they are focusing more on the presenters now than the cars. I have to admit though i loved the week before's episode with the modified fiat multipla for 'old folks'
Posted 4 March 2013
photoclassic
Photographer
photoclassic
scubie

Totally agree, Out in the wild-- get stuck, and 10 guys emerge from the bush to push them out !!!!!!!

Actually I can vouch for that happening myself.  Last year, caught in a flash flood whilst fording a stream on the way to Masai Mara, 60 miles from the nearest town.  Landrover completely drowned.  Within ten minutes there was a Masai elder there, who got out his mobile phone and within another 10 minutes there were around 20 people there to help.  Africa is amazing!
Posted 4 March 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Agreed, it now stinks of elderly public schoolboy humour and irrelevant masturbatory pranks to break things. It's like geriatric Jackass.

How about reviewing normal cars, like they used to, giving oim depth insight to help guide ( licence paying) BBC viewers to make sensible purchase decisions. Throw in some exotic and some racing/personality/news. Happy days.

Just quit with the 'you don't have to be mad to work here but it helps'
'God aren't we zany and madcap' office humour with an engine shite.

Posted 4 March 2013
Webbo2
Photographer
Webbo2
I personally love it, but I'm probably part of the target audience. I don't particularly care about serious car reviews, but if I was then I would no doubt be looking elsewhere. I love the entertainment factor of it, and don't think of it as a motoring show, instead I think of it as an entertainment show containing motors.

Posted 4 March 2013
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
OK i think you're all missing the point.

Top gear = Entertainment show, not car show
5th Gear = Car show

I watch both and love each in their own right
Never thinks of Top gear as a show for testing cars because it's not

Posted 4 March 2013
markwalden
Photographer
markwalden
modjo30

OK i think you're all missing the point. Top gear = Entertainment show, not car show 5th Gear = Car show I watch both and love each in their own right Never thinks of Top gear as a show for testing cars because it's not

+1

Posted 4 March 2013
I really enjoy it - prefer the old episodes though, they dont seem as staged, plus the dog was cool.

Posted 4 March 2013
otteypm
Photographer
otteypm
I love a bit of Top Gear, I don't expect car reviews, I can read the Internet for that. I thought their fiesta review was very helpful though, I managed to outrun loads of baddies in Corvettes and have completed 2 beach assaults in mine..... Is it green....yes, very....

Posted 4 March 2013
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
If you want serious car reviews watch 5th Gear, which is simply the old version of top gear, along with its presenters. Who went off in a huff over some spat with the BBC. Remind me how popular that one is again?

Personally on a Sunday evening with a bottle of wine in front of me that is the last thing I need though. Yes it does get a bit stale at times, that tends to be the problem with nearly any show that runs long enough. It is still one of the few programs that dares to trample over the patronising drab political correctness that permeates so much of the BBC now though.

Posted 4 March 2013
Pixel_Sensation
Photographer
Pixel_Sensation
I agree some of its staged but i love Top gear. last nights, as silly as it was, was beautifully shot. The scenery was breathtaking. Who would not want to watch that.
Top Gear is not really about reviewing cars, its more like lads chat, they even joke about the fact they never review normal cars.

Posted 4 March 2013
Imagery
Photographer
Imagery
Top Gear is awesome....

Posted 4 March 2013
I mus admit I enjoyed the rest of the adventures more.

Now in this case it was not as good.

However as I am obsessed with Africa due to reading Wilbur Smith books.

So I really enjoyed it.

Posted 4 March 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join