Am I putting down the wrong measurments?

Am I putting down the wrong measurments?

14 posts
27 Feb 2013
Hey ladies and gents, I've recently started doing some fit modelling so I am much more aware of my up to date measurements, and always put the largest part of my hips (around my bum) as my hip measurement, which to me sounds huge! However, I know I'm not a fashion model and often take a size 12 on my bottom half, but when looking at other models profiles in general their hip measurements seem tiny, even for those who are a lot shorter, and a lot heavier than I am. I've also seen those with my measurements claiming they are a size 8? So am I right? Or should I be putting down my hip BONE measurements which is a much more respectable 37''? Thanks Feeling confused, and kinda chubby P.S excuse the spelling error in the title
Posted 27 Feb 2013
Edited by catherine_s 27 Feb 2013
Measurements are a funny thing.

I sometimes tower above models who claim to be a 5'8"...(I am 5'7"...and of course girlies change according to the time of the month.

I think photographers will book you for your overall look, rather than worrying about an odd inch or two out.laugh

Posted 27 Feb 2013
Thanks Suzy, I've also just discovered I'm more 5'8 than 5'9, although I've always been taller than folk (mostly boys) who claim they are 5'8, I guess they are not
Posted 27 Feb 2013
I find that with some designers I can fit into 8 size clothes, and with others it's a l0.

You certainly don't look 'chubby' in your main profile picture - just slim and STUNNING!cool
Posted 27 Feb 2013
Awww thanks!

It's just a bit of a minefield! Guess I should just stop comparing myself to others! In another industry, I probably wouldn't have a clue what my measurements were!

Posted 27 Feb 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Catherine, if you can help pay my travelling expenses, I'd be willing to travel with my measuring tape, and help you get that measurement.

P.S.
I'm pretty sure you're NOT chubby
Posted 27 Feb 2013
Edited by gerryquiff 27 Feb 2013
I measure my hips the same way you do.

Re; Other models measurements, Sometimes they are a bit deceiving. I've know girls with the same waist measurement as me - But to look at them you would think they were a lot bigger because of how they are proportioned, their height etc. Similarly girls look slimmer for the same reasons.

Sometimes models on these sites do just lie shamelessly though!

Posted 27 Feb 2013
And i wouldn't say you are chubby. Your waist is an inch smaller than mine and you're also an inch taller!
You have wider hips than me (Mine are a 35) But that is actually a good thing, Especially for your height - Many women of your height and above find they have an android pelvis, and narrow hips is a sign of this, So a woman of your hieght having good sized hips is an indicator that you don't have this.

An android pelvis makes childbirth difficult, So if you have, or are planning on having children, Be very thankful for those hips!

Totally off topic there but nevermind!

Posted 27 Feb 2013
Edited by Missie0290 27 Feb 2013
Ha, thanks Missie, I've always been told I have child baring hips, but no plans to have them anytime soon! I do have naturally wide hips, it's not just fat, even when I was very skinny due to illness, they were still there. Thanks all, for cheering me up
Posted 28 Feb 2013
Cygnet
Photographer
Cygnet
You are feeling chubby?? ... giggle... not a cat in hells chance! But people are right about your hips !

Posted 28 Feb 2013
Hip measurements should be taken from the widest part, you're doing it correctly. Don't compare your measurements to others, lots of models here are clearly measuring incorrectly or outright lying. Also - rock those 40" hips! I have really wide hips too and love them.
Posted 28 Feb 2013
Thanks guys!

Tansy, you are a gorgeous lady, and look amazing!

Posted 28 Feb 2013
Mike_Dainty_ARTIST
Photographer
Mike_Dainty_..
catherine_s

Hey ladies and gents, I've recently started doing some fit modelling so I am much more aware of my up to date measurements, and always put the largest part of my hips (around my bum) as my hip measurement, which to me sounds huge! However, I know I'm not a fashion model and often take a size 12 on my bottom half, but when looking at other models profiles in general their hip measurements seem tiny, even for those who are a lot shorter, and a lot heavier than I am. I've also seen those with my measurements claiming they are a size 8? So am I right? Or should I be putting down my hip BONE measurements which is a much more respectable 37''? Thanks Feeling confused, and kinda chubby P.S excuse the spelling error in the title

Your doing it right...around the largest part, hold the tape at the side (one point to keep in mind is that tailor's cloth tapes can sometimes stretch a little if they are old) but the main thing is... don't be worried by numbers.
Your height too can vary a little from time to time and even within the same day but if you want to look taller and slimmer just go out on a date with mebroken heartMike.
Posted 28 Feb 2013
AlanStrutt
Photographer
AlanStrutt
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Measurements-(For-Women)

A guide to measure your stats

Posted 28 Feb 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join