Business cards - worth the bother?

Business cards - worth the bother?

29 posts
5 Feb 2013
Photographers, have you ever used a business card to get in contact with a model? If so, would you have otherwise been able to contact them ie found them on a model site/facebook?

Studio owners, do you have a collection of them in your studio ie on a notice board for photographers to browse?

Posted 5 Feb 2013
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
if it's a good business card and i've met the person and thought they were worth it i put it in my wallet and occasionally browse through them or pass them on to folk
Posted 5 Feb 2013
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
I've only found them useful at events. I would probably give a card to a model at an event because it does appear more organised than scribbling your number on the corner of a brochure but I generally forget to take any with me!

On the plus side, they're not much of a bother with sites like moo, vistaprint, goodprint making it pretty easy and cheap to get them done. Quality varies.

Posted 5 Feb 2013
KevinJS
Photographer
KevinJS
Hi Jen,
They are good at events, you need to give the photographers heaps, that way with luck they pass them on and you get additional bookings.
Also on one to one booking it is worth it to pass on a few for the same reason

Kevin
Posted 5 Feb 2013
Hi Jen, I do use them, and hand them out, do get some funny looks while in Sainsburys when I see a nice girl I also ask models, photographer and mua's to leave cards on my pin board at the studio too. Mark
Posted 5 Feb 2013
FlashBangWallop
Photographer
FlashBangWal..
as above...exactly for that reason if nothing else.

"You'd be perfect for a photoshoot I'm doing...I wont bore you now but PLEASE email me for more info. My email is on the card"

Works very well without being aggressive.
Posted 5 Feb 2013
Edited by FlashBangWallop 5 Feb 2013
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
I think business cards are a great idea - much better than just putting a number in your phone.
All models/photographers should have them and give them out to all family members and everybody they meet. 

ATB
Darren
(A printer of business cards*)

* and other things!
Posted 5 Feb 2013
Edited by djwilby 5 Feb 2013
It seems they work for TF/networking, and for photographers. Will look into it though especially if studio owners will put them up
Posted 5 Feb 2013
jetbrown
Photographer
jetbrown
My photography often crops up in conversation and I always pass a business card on - suprising how many paid jobs result from random conversations.

Also gives you some credibility if you approach someone with a view to asking them to take part in a shoot.

As it has previously been said, offer a card with a brief explanation of why and ask them to get in contact if they are interested - gives them a sense of control and time to think about it in their own time.

I have started using Moo - although fairly expensive, I love being able to give customers a card which relates to the type of photography they would be interested in. I have cards with wedding scenes / model shoots / boudoir / couples / fitness / parties etc etc

Posted 5 Feb 2013
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Well worth it, looks much more professional than scribbling contact details on a piece of paper - and they are so cheap anyway, just no reason not to.

Dave

Posted 5 Feb 2013
mg2611
Photographer
mg2611
The only time I get one from a model is when it's stapled to her invoice. It looks a little more professional than an unprinted invoice such as in the duplicate books from WH Smiths.

Posted 5 Feb 2013
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
and there cheap from vista print...
Posted 5 Feb 2013
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
Didnt you ask this on another forum ?

Posted 5 Feb 2013
jetbrown
My photography often crops up in conversation and I always pass a business card on - suprising how many paid jobs result from random conversations. Also gives you some credibility if you approach someone with a view to asking them to take part in a shoot. As it has previously been said, offer a card with a brief explanation of why and ask them to get in contact if they are interested - gives them a sense of control and time to think about it in their own time. I have started using Moo - although fairly expensive, I love being able to give customers a card which relates to the type of photography they would be interested in. I have cards with wedding scenes / model shoots / boudoir / couples / fitness / parties etc etc
I think it's very relevant for photographers to have business cards, it's a bit different in the case of a model though. I think I might go with moo! And yes Keltica. There are different opinions/answers I can get if I ask elsewhere.
Posted 5 Feb 2013
Daz_S
Photographer
Daz_S
Top tip: If you laminate your cards, they are less likely to get thrown away!!

On another point, Ive seen business cards that hve space for about 150Mb on the back and you can put them in a CD drive to view extra imagery. Are they worth getting, or are people skittish about putting stuff like that in their computer?

Posted 5 Feb 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join