Musicals

11 posts
28 Jan 2013
Valentine's day is coming up and me and my boy want to watch a musical. I *really* wanted to wanted Phantom of the Opera, but the best tickets have sold out, so any other recommendations? I've heard Lion King, Warhorse, Billy Elliot + Wicked are good, but are they really that good? Just want to make sure I'm seeing the right musical PS I'm really not into cheesy stuff..
Posted 29 Jan 2013
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
Time Out and the weekend broadsheets should have enough reviews for you to sort the fun from the schmaltz.

Not sure Warhorse is hugely valentiny. Nor indeed a musical. But it gets rave reviews.

Posted 29 Jan 2013
Webbo2
Photographer
Webbo2
Wicked is a must see in my books!
Posted 29 Jan 2013
Wicked is brilliant, I saw Phantom on Saturday's matinee performance in restricted view seats and the view was 95% fine, so you don't really need expense seats imho.

Posted 29 Jan 2013
rocky horror picture show (if it still going) is good as is we will rock you is a good show (its sort of like the film rock of ages)

ive never been but ive heard vampires rock is supposed to be good

and then theres the classics like cats (once again if it still going)

Posted 29 Jan 2013
mantisphoto
Photographer
mantisphoto
Webbo2

Wicked is a must see in my books!

+1 for Wicked.

Also rate Joseph, Oliver, Grease, Les Mis, Sound of Music et al!!
Posted 29 Jan 2013
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
Hard to recommend something when I don't know what you like.

I have seen most of the shows in the West End and I find the best (first time round) are the ones I already know some of the music/songs.

You could try Mama Mia (Abba) or We will rock you (Queen) - these only use the groups music and are not about the bands - I'm off to see We will rock you, for the second time in a couple of weeks!
There is also Jersey Boys (60's music) or Let it Be (Beatles).
Then we have Thriller (Michael Jackson) - haven't seen this one but it has been running a while, which is normally a good sign!
One of the newest is Viva Forever (Spice Girls) - I haven't heard good things about this one but I will have a first hand report in a couple of weeks.

Some of the old ones you may know more than you think - Phantom, Les Mis, Singing in the Rain, Lion King.

War Horse isn't a musical as such, but IMO well worth going to see.

You can sometimes get a good deal on tickets at Lastminute.com - I have made lots of bookings through here and although you sometimes don't know where you are going to sit, I haven't been let down yet.

Whatever you decide to see, I hope you have a good evening.

Posted 29 Jan 2013
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
Chorus Line has had good reviews but I found it dreary the first time round. Banging on about homosexuality. The main actor sits in the audience and there is no scenery.

Posted 29 Jan 2013
I went to see Lion King in Manchester and it were brilliant, everything about it were just so good. The costumes are amazing! If you're a fan of the film you will LOVE it x
Posted 29 Jan 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Wicked is good. One of my friend's nieces is in it.

Posted 29 Jan 2013
diipii
Photographer
diipii
Warehorse is the most "theatrical'" event I have seen with exceptionally skilled performers. My wife is still talking about it after 12 months.

Posted 31 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join