Any photographers had a heart attack and how long.....

Any photographers had a heart attack and how long.....

19 posts
25 Jan 2013
GrimeAndGlamour
Photographer
GrimeAndGlamour
......was it before you were shooting again?

I had mine last Tuesday and have been given a sick note for 6 weeks.
I have only done 2 shoots this year so far (was shooting when I had the attack!) and I am getting a very 'itchy trigger' finger, as I usually
shoot all available time I have.

Anyone here had one, and how long did it take you get 'back on the horse'?   frown
Posted 25 Jan 2013
BicycleRacer
Photographer
BicycleRacer
GrimeAndGlamour
......was it before you were shooting again? I had mine last Tuesday and have been given a sick note for 6 weeks. I have only done 2 shoots this year so far (was shooting when I had the attack!) and I am getting a very 'itchy trigger' finger, as I usually shoot all available time I have. Anyone here had one, and how long did it take you get 'back on the horse'?  
Anything to do with the rates the model was charging ?
Posted 25 Jan 2013
BOBREEVES
Photographer
BOBREEVES
I've had three heart attacks and they have all been different. After the first 'procedure' (angioplasty) I felt great with in weeks UNTIL the stent fitted, failed and blocked up. This has happened twice now I have Five 'stents' keeping my arteries open. However I have lost my HGV licence and life has never been the same. I just take one day at a time ..If I feel good ..I do it if I don't.... I take it easy. The good thing is, if it was 25 years ago.... I'd have been dead now. Big thanks to Papworth hospital. 'The Norfolk Bargee'
Posted 26 Jan 2013
Edited by BOBREEVES 26 Jan 2013
Andrew_Appleton
Photographer
Andrew_Appleton
Yes, had mine in 1996 when I was in my mid 40s. I had the full job and was jump started by the crash team. Off work for 3 months. I didn't have a stent or by-pass as only one of the arteries has closed up. Annual check-ups, a cocktail of tablets and hardly any angina. It made me re-evaluate my life and I am happier now than I have ever been.

PM me if you want more info.

Andrew.

Posted 26 Jan 2013
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
Never had one, but just wanted to say best of luck G&G, sorry to hear it.

Posted 26 Jan 2013
GrimeAndGlamour
Photographer
GrimeAndGlamour
BOBREEVES

I've had three heart attacks and they have all been different. After the first 'procedure' (angioplasty) I felt great with in weeks UNTIL the stent fitted, failed and blocked up. This has happened twice now I have Five 'stents' keeping my arteries open. However I have lost my HGV licence and life has never been the same. I just take one day at a time ..If I feel good ..I do it if I don't.... I take it easy. The good thing is, if it was 25 years ago.... I'd have been dead now. Big thanks to Papworth hospital. 'The Norfolk Bargee'

The hospitals (I was in 2) have been fantastic here too. I guess I have been fortunate as I didnt get a stent put in. The doctor said it will probably heal with just the pills. I felt very weak the first few days but I must admit the last 2 days I have started to feel ok. Leaving the house for the firtst time properly today

Posted 26 Jan 2013
GrimeAndGlamour
Photographer
GrimeAndGlamour
Andrew_Appleton

Yes, had mine in 1996 when I was in my mid 40s. I had the full job and was jump started by the crash team. Off work for 3 months. I didn't have a stent or by-pass as only one of the arteries has closed up. Annual check-ups, a cocktail of tablets and hardly any angina. It made me re-evaluate my life and I am happier now than I have ever been. PM me if you want more info. Andrew.

Sounds like mine(the 'after' bit not the actual attack!)
Five different pills for the rest of my life...but thats ok--I can deal with that
The re-evaulation bit is slightly more difficult. I have a job a hate with a passion and makes me miserable and has definitely helped towards my HA. However I will have to go back (bills etc) even though I know leaving now would be the sensible thing to do. I am looking for other things but difficult at my age. Going full time photog is a possibilty but too scared to do that right now.

Posted 26 Jan 2013
GrimeAndGlamour
Photographer
GrimeAndGlamour
Sarge

Never had one, but just wanted to say best of luck G&G, sorry to hear it.

Thanks Matt, appreciate that

Posted 26 Jan 2013
Andy2344
Photographer
Andy2344
G&G
Sorry to hear that.

I'm slightly different in that I had septicaemia which led to major organ failure including heart failure. Different, I know, but just as impactive. I also have a job and was off for just under 6 months. The hardest bit for me has been the energy levels and rebuilding stamina.

Quite frustrating because your body soon lets you know when you push too hard. I did take advantage of being off by doing a huge amount of training with video and on line then trying out as much as possible in my living room.

Getting out and about was more of an issue. I'm 6'4" and described as some sort of brick toilet? but I couldn't believe the lack of strength in my arms (glad they invented the tripod) when holding my D700 for any length of time.

I would recommend slow and steady (yip it's a pain getting told that constantly).

Best of luck and speedy recovery.

Andy

Posted 26 Jan 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Sorry to hear of your heart attack, hope you're on the mend Sit yourself down and have a rest, your body obviously needs it. If you're itchy, shoot something where the results are meaningless...... landscape, still life, boring stuff if you will
Posted 26 Jan 2013
Listen to your Doctor , Cardiologist and the Cardiac Rehab Team, especially the Rehab team!
Posted 27 Jan 2013
DavidN
Photographer
DavidN
I had mine in 2001, in Gibraltar - walking up the steep hills there makes this a fairly common occurrence for visitors. With the right medication, I was back at work 6 weeks later and then had a stent fitted a few months after that. I now have two good arteries around my heart, one held open by a stent and one dead one, but I'm still shooting!
It's different for everybody, so listen to your medical professionals. Keep your weight under control and take regular, steady exercise. Good luck!
Posted 27 Jan 2013
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Glad you're on the mend mate

Posted 27 Jan 2013
GrimeAndGlamour
Photographer
GrimeAndGlamour
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and advice. Although the HA was a shock it certainly wasn't a surprise, after years of eating saturated fat with my saturated fat, with side servings of the same. The change has been instant though and exercise and healthy eating has already become the norm (well, gentle exercise for now). Hopefully the weight will drop off and I will feel and look like a different man in a few months. Was able to pop into the studio on Saturday and take a handful of behind the scenes shots for a mate---good fun
Posted 28 Jan 2013
GrimeAndGlamour
Photographer
GrimeAndGlamour
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and advice. Although the HA was a shock it certainly wasn't a surprise, after years of eating saturated fat with my saturated fat, with side servings of the same. The change has been instant though and exercise and healthy eating has already become the norm (well, gentle exercise for now). Hopefully the weight will drop off and I will feel and look like a different man in a few months. Was able to pop into the studio on Saturday and take a handful of behind the scenes shots for a mate---good fun
Posted 28 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join