Math or Maths

Math or Maths

36 posts
22 Jan 2013
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Back in the day when I was a lad was taught that the spelling was Maths now it seems Math is correct, Is this not the american bastardisation of our word or am i missing something?

Posted 22 Jan 2013
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
It's an abbreviation of mathematics, and so is Maths. The Americans tried a programme of simplifying spelling and knocked the 's' off the end. There is a school of thought that spelling should be made simpler rather than exerting effort teaching people how to spell correctly. I recall a paper some years ago with things like 'frend', 'skool' and the like. As I recall this was universally rejected due to the lack of compelling argument to support it and that the supporters of the idea hadn't thought about the effect that this would have with regard to existing works, i.e. that there would be 'incorrect and potentially confusing' spelling in text books etc. Of course there are also those who find typing extra letters is a problem.
Posted 22 Jan 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Well said Alan.
Quite agree, I am sick of American spelling and don't get me started on txt spk!

Posted 22 Jan 2013
NATKINS
Photographer
NATKINS
Bad grammar and spelling is now endemic in our schools: On my son's school website they are advertising for a "parental governor'!

http://www.bartholomew.oxon.sch.uk

Posted 22 Jan 2013
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Alan_Jay
It's an abbreviation of mathematics, and so is Maths.
Whilst I hate the use of the word Math rather than Maths; they are, surely, both abbreviations of Mathematics.
Posted 22 Jan 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
EdT
Whilst I hate the use of the word Math rather than Maths; they are, surely, both abbreviations of Mathematics.
So is Mat - but that does not mean it is correct!
Posted 22 Jan 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
paulford

Back in the day when I was a lad was taught that the spelling was Maths now it seems Math is correct, Is this not the american bastardisation of our word or am i missing something?

'Our' word?  The word Maths is derived from a Latin word which in turn was from a Greek word.

Math and Maths aren't abbreviations they are colloquialisms and therefore there is no right or wrong and no Americanism to be offended by.  
Posted 22 Jan 2013
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Did a spell check on both ways of spelling it using English (GB) both seem correct. Still think its maths though.

Posted 22 Jan 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
The bigger error is that people who use math almost invariably mean arithmetic, and mostly the people who say maths also mean arithmetic.

Posted 22 Jan 2013
pmeu
Photographer
pmeu
To me it will always be maths and not math. And yes it does annoy me somewhat when I hear a Brit say math. Mind you not nearly as annoying as when newsreaders now say something along the lines of 'Union workers took to the streets protesting lower wages' .... surely it should be protesting against lower wages, shouldn't it? That seems to be an unwelcome Americanism that has crept in.
Posted 22 Jan 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
I think it was the writer Gore Vidal who commented the Britain and America were" 2 countries separated by a common language". My personal American word shudder is their pronunciation of Oregano as Oreggano.

Posted 22 Jan 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
George Bernard Shaw

Posted 22 Jan 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
One that really gets my goat is newsreaders' pronunciation of Southampton, more specifically the second syllable. Surely the h is used in the first syllable, therefore the second one should be pronounced ampton, not hampton.

Posted 22 Jan 2013
WhitePython
Photographer
WhitePython
PaulManuell
One that really gets my goat is newsreaders' pronunciation of Southampton, more specifically the second syllable. Surely the h is used in the first syllable, therefore the second one should be pronounced ampton, not hampton.
Mine is newCASTLE instead of NEWcastle...does my head in. I don't know how the Geordies say it though. I teach mathS at school, not math. But my biggest and most annoying pet hate is the "There/Their/They're" problem. It is such a simple thing, but it seems so many people can't get it right. And don't get me started on the "10 items or less..." queue in the supermarket! FEWER! "ten items of FEWER!
Posted 22 Jan 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Math is an Americanism. Maths is British.

Posted 22 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join