Mind The Gap

6 posts
20 Jan 2013
Ken_Smith
Photographer
Ken_Smith
Interviewed on BBC News today, Emma Gilthorpe, Executive Director of Heathrow Airport, explained the need to reduce the number of aircraft using the runways by saying "we need to leave more gaps between the planes... and because we need more gaps that means we can land less planes".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21112076

Surely if there are less (she means fewer) planes that means there are fewer gaps, not more gaps...  
Posted 20 Jan 2013
somph
Photographer
somph
Not just on the runways. There are prescribed distances between planes - for instance, planes following Airbus 380's need a (?) 6 minute gap before passing through the same air space. This is due to the turbulence that aircraft in weight categories produce. In cold weather, the air is denser, hence turbulence is more pronounced. In wet weather, turbulence can cause local condensation due to pressure differentials. Coupled with lower visibility both in the cockpit and by air traffic controllers looking at the air immediately around airports means greater gaps are needed to prevent that oops-crunch moment.

*** Edit: some tech-speak clarification from http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2018240004_airbus19.html

"On approach to an airport, the required separation distances behind the A380 are 8, 7 and 6 miles, respectively, for "small" airplanes (such as business jets); "large" planes (such as a 737); and for "heavy" planes (such as the 767 or 747)."

Posted 21 Jan 2013
Edited by somph 21 Jan 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
Ken_Smith
Interviewed on BBC News today, Emma Gilthorpe, Executive Director of Heathrow Airport, explained the need to reduce the number of aircraft using the runways by saying "we need to leave more gaps between the planes... and because we need more gaps that means we can land less planes". http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21112076 Surely if there are less (she means fewer) planes that means there are fewer gaps, not more gaps...  
Not really, they mean "more gap" not "more gaps". Most news now uses colloquialisms to some extent, it can hardly be a suprise.
Posted 21 Jan 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Socialdisaster

Most news now uses colloquialisms to some extent, it can hardly be a suprise.

Or indeed just poor, inaccurate and sloppy English.  Not that I'm a pedant of course!  smiley

I hate the use of the term "less" when they mean "fewer" - and "sat" when they mean "sitting"!
Posted 21 Jan 2013
Edited by mph 21 Jan 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
mph

Or indeed just poor, inaccurate and sloppy English.  Not that I'm a pedant of course!  smiley

I hate the use of the term "less" when they mean "fewer" - and "sat" when they mean "sitting"!

While I was sat sitting here, I watched the video and as far as I can tell, she really to meant to say that they need 'longer ' gaps between planes so it was as you say, sloppy English!sad

Posted 21 Jan 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
Maybe these gaps are like the holes in Yellow Submarine.
Posted 21 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join