The most pretentious thing you've evr heard/said

The most pretentious thing you've evr heard/said

88 posts
20 Jan 2013
Ok, i'm ripping off another thread slightly.

I think the most pretentious thing i've ever said myself was the day i complained that the buses here do not have leather seats or air conditioning like the one where i used to live.

My mates laughed for about a week.

Most pretentious thing i've heard - Probably my other half complaining that our son will forever be 'branded' a scouser because i inconsiderately gave birth in Liverpool and registered him there and i have ruined his life.

(His first choice would have been Derby so i'm not sure i see his point)

Posted 20 Jan 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Probably my boss a couple of years ago when it snowed badly.... I live ~35 miles from work, a good deal of it is on winding/smallish and not especially busy A-roads that are in either exposed or hilly areas, and I also drive a coupe with low-profile tyres all of which can make travelling during snow somewhat 'adventurous', so much so that a 3+ hour journey home has happened on occasion (normally takes an hour) especially when people get stuck on hills. After taking a day off work my boss told me the following day that he didn't have any problems so why should I? This is all well and good to state this until you know the facts.... He drives a 4x4 (not a sports coupe like me) He lives in the next village to where we work (less than 2 miles away and not 35 like me) He can leave the house a lot later than me (which would allow for the temperatures to rise) He has no hills to drive on The roads he drives on are priority roads for gritters The roads he drives on are VERY busy To this day I honestly couldn't believe he said that to me - idiot.
Posted 20 Jan 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Pretentious, moi?

Posted 20 Jan 2013
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
I will not comment on this thread as I feel it is beneath Moi

Posted 20 Jan 2013
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
I think that the most pretentious thing I have said was when under oath, I was asked by a barrister if I was stubborn. I replied "no, more tenacious than stubborn", knowing what I meant. A wry smile crossed the faces of a few solicitors and my barrister. During the break for lunch, my barrister came in to see me smiling and said she had just been talking the the opposition's barrister and he had taken the time to look up tenacious in the dictionary and found it means stubborn However, the difference in the tone of the words went in my favour. Now then, the most pretentious thing I have heard? Truthfully, as I honestly can't remember anything more pretentious, was being told in August, in a public forum on here that I shouldn't be shooting the stuff I shoot on TF, I should be paying the models and furthermore, I was pretty much abusing them by doing so. Then this person went on to insult the models who had shot with me, belittling them, saying they aren't proper models, or words to that effect, that I was plying models with drink, inferring that I had a motive for doing so. I was told that the banter on my soots is illegal and to keep it short, slagged me off in every way he could think of. All this from a guy who was proclaiming to be professional and was shooting models as it was his business, which turned out not to be the case, he was compiling content, (adult content that was/is) for a business idea and claimed that what he did was fully justifiable whereas what I did was completely wrong. That is not to take this off topic, it is genuine response. Therefore, I don't expect a reply if said person sees this on here as there can't be one that addresses the OP's question
Posted 20 Jan 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
I am not even on this site as it is below me!

Posted 20 Jan 2013
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
mph

I am not even on this site as it is below me!

Is that post ironism 
Posted 20 Jan 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
frankpht

Is that post ironism 

More like an ironic post

Posted 20 Jan 2013
RC - That reminds me of the nobhead parents who have the following conversation with me;

*Previous chatter leading to...*
Me; Oh, He was 4lb9
Them; That's small!
Me; Yes he was premature
Them; Oh my little one was a preemie too, but he was 8lb...
Me; Wow that's amazing! How early was he?
Them; Oh i know, He was a week early, But he's such a little fighter he did SO well, But i know how you feel it's so stressful
Me; *Biting tongue* How long was he in neonatal for
Them; Oh he wasn't he came straight home.

I could punch those ****ers!

Posted 20 Jan 2013
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
"You're not a real photographer if you shorten the term to 'tog'."
Posted 20 Jan 2013
I shoot it, Pose it for the Art.

(Heard not said )
Posted 20 Jan 2013
Edited by pinkbuildingphotography 20 Jan 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Tarmoo's obsession with art-nude models comes across as pretty damn pretentious.

He starts making a prat of himself 3rd post down in this thread, and it continues throughout the thread.
Posted 20 Jan 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Not something I've said or heard, but something I see that I always find pretentious in the extreme - blokes wearing shirts with their collars UP! It's so 'Look at me!' it's infuriating. Sometimes I wish I was big enough and brave enough to walk up to anyone doing it and say, 'Excuse me, I'm not sure if you've noticed but your collar's up and it looks ridiculous and pretentious,' before reaching out and turning it down for them. Am glad to get that off my chest, it's been getting me hot under my (turned down) collar for a while
Posted 20 Jan 2013
kirkschwarz
Photographer
kirkschwarz
I was once told by a girl at work, with whom I was doing some serious flirting, that she found me 'very attractive, sexually attractive', I immediately replied 'don't worry my dear, the feeling will pass' and walked off (don't worry, I'm no stud, but we did end up together for a while), not really pretentious, but definitely my favourite riposte. I guess to be strict to pretention, it would have to be the time that I submitted a photo of my shed to Vogue.it and called it 'hope' from the 'inanimate emotions' series...

The most pretentious thing I've ever heard? I'm in security, I hear a new best every day...

Posted 20 Jan 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Before I mention another thing that I find pretentious, let me first state I'm 100% NOT a prude and have nothing whatsoever against photographers/models who shoot/pose nude. But at the risk of incurring the wrath of those who do, I find the term 'Art nude' to be very pretentious. I'm very much a novice at model photography, but to me if a model's nude she's nude. The result is simply a nude photo (nothing at all wrong with that, though). Converting it to b&w or having the model pose in such a way that would win her an Olympic gold medal in gymnastics does not magically turn that photo from a nude to art. And yes, I realise all photography's art, but I think you know what I mean. Ok, even though it genuinely wasn't my intention, I'm expecting to get a load of flak for this post so I'm bracing myself for it. I won't, though, get into a tit for tat argument over it with anyone. Thank you
Posted 21 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join