The English county with the longest coastline is....???

The English county with the longest coastline is....???

46 posts
15 Jan 2013
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Anyone know the definitive answer?

Essex crops up a lot...but Devon and Kent are also mentioned. I have spent some time on Google but can't get any concrete information...now it is bugging me!!

Posted 15 Jan 2013
Edited by anthonyh 15 Jan 2013
Cornwall - has coast on three sides...

Posted 15 Jan 2013
Cornwall I beleive then prob Yorkshire

Posted 15 Jan 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Rutland?

Posted 15 Jan 2013
orsoncarter
Photographer
orsoncarter
mph

Rutland?

smiley

I'm pretty sure it's Cornwall. 
Posted 15 Jan 2013
GSC4X
Photographer
GSC4X
It's Cornwall.

Posted 15 Jan 2013
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
Cornwall, then Essex, then ????

Posted 15 Jan 2013
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster

According to these guys its Essex.

http://www.visitessex.com/discover/maritime/Coastal_delights.aspx

Hmmm.

Posted 15 Jan 2013
carlosw
Photographer
carlosw
According to today's 'Escape to the Country' it's Essex.

Posted 15 Jan 2013
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
It probably depends how you measure it, all the inlets, estuaries etc., but I read Cornwall's coastline is 422 miles long and Essex is only around 350 miles.

I don't want to spoil the thread, but I am curious... Which county's women have the largest waistline? Norfolk?

Posted 15 Jan 2013
Claypaws
Photographer
Claypaws
There is no definitive answer. It depends on the scale on which you measure it. The smaller you choose the unit of measurement to be, the longer the coastline. If you use a meter rule, you get one value. If you use a matchstick, you get a different result. And this might also change which of two counties has a longer coastline. i.e. a more rugged coast will gain length more rapidly as the unit of measurement decreases. The extreme of this fact is represented by the Koch Island. The Koch Island is a finite area with an infinitely long coastline.

Posted 15 Jan 2013
jes
Model
jes
carshaltonkev

It probably depends how you measure it, all the inlets, estuaries etc., but I read Cornwall's coastline is 422 miles long and Essex is only around 350 miles. I don't want to spoil the thread, but I am curious... Which county's women have the largest waistline? Norfolk?

Excuse me?!!! 

Posted 15 Jan 2013
thebigyin
Photographer
thebigyin
mph
Rutland?
LOL, Rutland is landlocked, used to be part of the beautiful East Midland County of Leicestershire, now back as a county in its own right, and is the smallest in England I believe... lovely part of the world, and very much underated IMO. However, back to the original question, I thought Cornwall would have the longest coastline too.. Alister
Posted 16 Jan 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
thebigyin

LOL, Rutland is landlocked,..............

Really?  blush
Posted 16 Jan 2013
Jack_Russell
Photographer
Jack_Russell
The county with the MOST coastline is...............??

Posted 16 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join