HMV

184 posts
14 Jan 2013
paulford
Photographer
paulford

[ Admin Warning - Topic has been turned into a Soapbox Thread half way through first page]

Looking like HMV are the next big name on the scrapheap of life
Posted 14 Jan 2013
Edited by WebModerator 15 Jan 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
Didnt they go through this last year as well?

Posted 14 Jan 2013
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Think last was year was deep doo doo this year very deep doo doo, Sad to say but looks like another one going the same way as Jessops
Posted 14 Jan 2013
Socialdisaster

Didnt they go through this last year as well?

I think they did

Ive always been a bit confused by HMV they seem to be fighting against themselves by offering cheaper product online (with free delivery) than you can buy in the store

Feel sorry for the 4000 that will lose their jobs

Posted 14 Jan 2013
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Demand has been sucked out of the economy by all the cuts. There was just no resilience left to face-off the other challenges. Pot hole-Charity shop Britain.

Posted 14 Jan 2013
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
I used to hate Oxford street then I kind of discovered it not re-dis. Now there's probably gonna be no reason to go there. I loved going down to the jazz section with the added bonus of annoying my daughter.

Posted 14 Jan 2013
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Anyone know if 'FOP' has also gone down the tubes?

Posted 14 Jan 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
jivago
Demand has been sucked out of the economy by all the cuts. There was just no resilience left to face-off the other challenges. Pot hole-Charity shop Britain.
Do you talk out of your arse in your life offline? Cuts have nothing to do wih the demise of HMV... online purchasing, digital downloads and competition from the likes of supermarkets has destroyed their customer base.
Posted 14 Jan 2013
jivago
Photographer
jivago
RedChecker

Do you talk out of your arse in your life offline? Cuts have nothing to do wih the demise of HMV... online purchasing, digital downloads and competition from the likes of supermarkets has destroyed their customer base.

Imbecile!

Posted 14 Jan 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker
Well if you want to believe it's nothing to do with the slump in demand caused by cuts then you carry on - it doesn't however make it true. Clearly the only blimp upwards was caused by the huge public investment for the Olympics. Osborne's efforts to sustain negative growth seem to be succeeding.
Posted 15 Jan 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Here we go!!!

C'mon, let's get all the Labour voters out of the woodwork to blame the world's ills on the Tories

Posted 15 Jan 2013
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
After spending 49 yrs out of my 50 yrs in this world, the Labour party was one of the reasons for leaving Englands green and pleasent land......Labour can't undo the history books!

Posted 15 Jan 2013
jivago
Photographer
jivago
RedChecker

I was just going back to edit that ‘imbecile’ comment about Red checker – A bit too hard or too accurate?

I was going to patronise him – Like a Master at Eton   :- 

You silly little Tory Imbecile you! – Such events are exactly as the Nobel prize winning economist Paul Krugman predicted – If you cut and cut, then you also cut demand and ‘Hey Presto’ such businesses are less resilient to other challenges. Tesco have been selling DVD’s for years, but only the double-dip recession has caused HMV to succumb now.

Now run along and read your history, starting  with the page on John Maynard Keynes and how Britain got out of the recession after the 2nd World War – And please cease your boorish cant - You silly little Tory Imbecile you!

Posted 15 Jan 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
It's fairly naive to lay blame direct on either party, they're all either impotent or corrupted and financial forces dictate the current state of affairs. Chances are, if you were able to trace ownership of these companies in a totally transparent manner, you'd find a very few, very rich owners at the top of the pile who will ultimately restore their profit margins by removing choice and shedding staff and property. It really doesn't matter to them that thousands lose jobs, or that a significant conduit in cultural terms is to close.

It's a shame though, record shops used to be good places to find yourself, and it's all become diluted and finally just disappearing altogether.

Posted 15 Jan 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
jivago

I was just going back to edit that ‘imbecile’ comment about Red checker – A bit too hard or too accurate?

I was going to patronise him – Like a Master at Eton   :- 

You silly little Tory Imbecile you! – Such events are exactly as the Nobel prize winning economist Paul Krugman predicted – If you cut and cut, then you also cut demand and ‘Hey Presto’ such businesses are less resilient to other challenges. Tesco have been selling DVD’s for years, but only the double-dip recession has caused HMV to succumb now.

Now run along and read your history, starting  with the page on John Maynard Keynes and how Britain got out of the recession after the 2nd World War – And please cease your boorish cant - You silly little Tory Imbecile you!

Has it not occured to you that the business model of selling music and video in shops has had its day?

Most people buy from the likes of Amazon & Play.com online at a fraction of the cost the shops can manage.  Add to that the fact that in the last decade or so the major supermarkets have also been desparately undercutting the record stores.  And then you have the final nail in the coffin of people buying direct to their PCs, phones or tablets with the likes of iTunes.

It has nothing to do with party politics or cuts to the economy, the high-street record store has had its day, plain and simple.  Why do you think Branson got out of it several years ago?  (and as a clue, I can assure you it was nothing to do with Labour being on the watch either)  It is completely unsustainable in this day and age to have expensive-rent high street stores filled with £millions of stock that just isn't getting shifted.
Posted 15 Jan 2013
Edited by RedChecker 14 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join