Casting Images

47 posts
13 Jan 2013
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
I'm sure you've heard it many times on the forum but one of the biggest frustrations when trying to award paid work to models is the nightmare of getting her to supply suitable casting images that will potentially enable the client to approve her. I estimate that in excess 90% of the models that apply for such work do not progress any further simply because of the lack of suitable images.

It seems to me that a set of casting images might easily be shot to an agreed specification and of course there's no requirement for editing. So in theory if a network of studios existed throughout the UK each of whom supplied say a dozen images on a memory stick shot to that specification then this seemingly universal problem might be solved easily and relatively cheaply.

But of course there will be a cost - I'm talking about commercial studios providing a professional service rather than Joe Bloggs using his garden shed or spare room as a makeshift studio.

My question, obviously directed at models, is if this service was available locally what would you be prepared to pay for a set of casting images assuming they'd be supplied to you on a memory stick immediately after the shoot?

Obviously there's no point in taking this further if models are either unwilling to pay anything at all or if the amount they're willing to pay is insuffiecient to encourage a studio to offer the service.

What do you think - £0, £25, £50, £100, £200, more?

NB for the purpose of this discussion casting images consist of hi-res full body standing nudes (front, back and sides), headshots (front and sides) and close ups of all scars, tattoos, piercings, marks and blemishes.
Posted 13 Jan 2013
Edited by mgphotomedia 13 Jan 2013
peacock
Photographer
peacock
How often would models have to get the images done so that they are current? every six months,1 year, 18 months,2 years? Just my two penne'th.
Posted 13 Jan 2013
I would expect this shoot to last to a maximum of 2 hours, so I would probably pay £50 max.

Posted 13 Jan 2013
Can someone clear something up for me. What is the difference between what you're talking about and the images agencies ask for for casting - Some of those ask for only snapshots taken on a digital camera and won't accept pro pics.

I'm confused about the whole thing.

I was thinking of putting some clear snapshots of myself up but then people keep mentioning things like this and i don't know if i'd be doing it wrong and don't want to look like a tit.

Posted 13 Jan 2013
Probably nothing. I have a decent camera at home which my boyfriend can shoot passable casting shots on, and the last time I was was asked for casting images shots from that camera shot at home were completely sufficient.

I get asked for casting images very rarely, no more than once every six months, so I get casting images done for a specific shoot, hence it would count as expenses attached to that shoot. If I paid £50 for casting images for a a full day shoot which I normally charge £150 for, then I'd only be making £100 that day even before you factor in travel expenses. Which is quite a big hit.

If I was asked for casting images two or three times a month I would probably be willing to pay £20ish for a studio session doing casting shots. As I would need to get casting images done pretty much every month (they're useless if they're not very recent) I wouldn't be able to afford much more. And as I reckon the shoot would take about 15 minutes with no processing and simple lighting, it isn't as little as it sounds.

Posted 13 Jan 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Tansy_Blue

Probably nothing. I have a decent camera at home which my boyfriend can shoot passable casting shots on, and the last time I was was asked for casting images shots from that camera shot at home were completely sufficient. I get asked for casting images very rarely, no more than once every six months, so I get casting images done for a specific shoot, hence it would count as expenses attached to that shoot. If I paid £50 for casting images for a a full day shoot which I normally charge £150 for, then I'd only be making £100 that day even before you factor in travel expenses. Which is quite a big hit. If I was asked for casting images two or three times a month I would probably be willing to pay £20ish for a studio session doing casting shots. As I would need to get casting images done pretty much every month (they're useless if they're not very recent) I wouldn't be able to afford much more. And as I reckon the shoot would take about 15 minutes with no processing and simple lighting, it isn't as little as it sounds.

I can't imagine you would have much trouble adding them on to the end of a shoot anyway if you wanted some. Not a lot of trouble for someone to shoot a handful of such images surely? (and lots of GWCs would do it for the thrill of seeing you naked anyway!)

Posted 13 Jan 2013
Edited by mph 13 Jan 2013
IainT
Photographer
IainT
mph
I can't imagine you would have much trouble adding them on to the end of a shoot anyway if you wanted some. Not a lot of trouble for someone to shoot a handful of such images surely? (and lots of GWCs would do it for the thrill of seeing you naked anyway
casting images ( or the lack thereof) are my biggest issue with models. I would say on average between 3 and 5 models every month lose potentially bet £300 and £1200 each in paid work due to lack of suitable images. Having said this, it is absolutely unrealistic to expect models to pay for casting images, they need to be renewed at least every 2 months or when there is any change, ie hairstyle,tattoos etc. most photographers won't have a problem doing a set at the end of a shoot, I wouldn't anyway, but equally a friend can do them or they could even be self taken. Although there are casting images and casting images. For instance if I take them, it immediately increases the chances of the model getting work from the people I shoot for.
Posted 13 Jan 2013
Edited by IainT 13 Jan 2013
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
A decent phonecam in a well lit place, done in a couple of minutes.

They're easily done, but as most of us who require them find, getting the model to actually do them and send them is where it breaks down.

Likewise, I'd have no problem doing them on a shoot if the model asked.
Posted 13 Jan 2013
Edited by PeterH 13 Jan 2013
Nothing. I've never been asked for any. If I really needed some I know people that wouldn't mind spending up to 5 mins at the end of the shoot as a favour to me, it's not like they'd need editing. Or even a digital camera at home would do the job.

Posted 13 Jan 2013
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
Missie0290

Can someone clear something up for me. What is the difference between what you're talking about and the images agencies ask for for casting - Some of those ask for only snapshots taken on a digital camera and won't accept pro pics. I'm confused about the whole thing. I was thinking of putting some clear snapshots of myself up but then people keep mentioning things like this and i don't know if i'd be doing it wrong and don't want to look like a tit.

Basically, what we want when we ask for casting images or doctor shots are simple, unprocessed, unedited images that show us what *you* look like, not what some photographer, make-up artist and retoucher has turned you into. We want these because our clients will only usually make a decision based on them.

All you need do is stand up straight, arms by your sides, take a pic. turn to each side and take a pic, and one from the back too. Move your hair if it looks like you could be hiding something. Then a normal passport photo pose for face shot. There you go, you now have all the pics you need to send to people who ask for casting shots.

Agood quality phonecam or a snapshot cam, a well lit place with a not too distracting bacground, and a friend to do it is all you need. You can ask a photograher on a shoot if they'd mind repeating them for you, but remember to remove any shoot make-up before doing that.
Posted 13 Jan 2013
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
I used to offer to minimally edit a headshot from each shoot for casting purposes (just taking away the occasional spot, since they're not permanent) but stopped bothering to ask as models never wanted shots like that. I suggested that it'd be beneficial for photographers to really see what they looked like without all the works but pretty much everyone only wanted to be seen for what they 'could' look like with editing and make-up. The only girl I've ever shot (out of over 50 people) who doesn't wear any make-up was Samantha: She's a lucky wee sod with amazing skin though, haha.
Posted 13 Jan 2013
bravepioneer
Photographer
bravepioneer
Pay? You can take perfect casting photos on a modern phone. They just need to realise the need to do so, and how. So simple really.
Posted 13 Jan 2013
Edited by bravepioneer 13 Jan 2013
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
I think most of the questions people have asked have been answered in the thread.

So, given that casting images are so simple to produce (they certainly aren't difficult) and it only takes a few minutes at the end if a shoot to produce them (I've done plenty myself) why is it that so few models are actually able to produce them?
Posted 13 Jan 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
mgphotomedia

snip 

why is it that so few models are actually able to produce them?

I'd hazzard a guess that some dont like how they look if you can actually see them without makeup and creative photography and think you wont book them if they have them done and sent to you, and worse, others may also see them and it may put them off also surprise
Posted 13 Jan 2013
Edited by Gerry99111 13 Jan 2013
bravepioneer
Photographer
bravepioneer
mgphotomedia

I think most of the questions people have asked have been answered in the thread.

So, given that casting images are so simple to produce (they certainly aren't difficult) and it only takes a few minutes at the end if a shoot to produce them (I've done plenty myself) why is it that so few models are actually able to produce them?

Ego? Or that they have no idea what they need to do to sell themselves to their potential market? Or both?

Posted 13 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join